Author Topic: Single v. Double Sided Deadbolt  (Read 2038 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Single v. Double Sided Deadbolt
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:43:53 PM »
Friends,

Assume an exterior door with "lights," that is, with glass panes in the top half of the door.  Assuming a neighborhood with average crime rate and a house with no particular fire hazards, which is better?  The single-sided deadbolt that allows faster, easier egress in case of fire, or the double-sided deadbolt that can't be opened by simply breaking the glass and reaching in?

Oh, and since we're talking about my house, go ahead and figure in that loaded 12 guage next to the bed.  Smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:46:21 PM »
As a man who used to sell residential and commercial security doors and hardware......

Young kids in the house who might have to exit without you?  Might be a reason to have a single keyed lock.

Other than that, you are probably better off with a double-keyed deadbolt on a door with relights.  Just don't leave the key in the lock at night.  Anywhere out of view of the window is ok, at one point I just dropped mine on the floor up tight to the jamb, no way to see it from outside and right there where I'd need it in a fire.

I kept a "formal" one hanging on a hook further inside for actually answering the door.

You do have a solid core wood or steel door right?  Relight isn't just a big single pane but has some structure to it?  Security film, double pane?  Broken by steel or wood into multiple smaller panes?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 03:31:49 AM »
Thanks, Matt.  That's what I was thinking, too.  I'm buying a house with two doors like that.  One has single and one has a double.  An inspector was telling me the double might be frowned upon by the city as a danger in case of fire.  I was thinking I'd probably put a second key near the floor, probably inside the door of a kitchen cabinet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:15:38 AM »
Good advice about keeping a key close by but out of sight / reach.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 05:39:28 AM »
I have doubles on all my doors, but the key is never far away.  However, it is far enough away that an intruder can't reach it.

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »
It is dismaying to see how easy it is to kick in a residential door.  If you've got a really beefy door installation go with the double key.  If you've got a standard grade contactor installation don't waste your money on a double key.  Go with the latch inside.

Cops and firefighters differ on which is the better.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 07:14:38 AM »
I never have been fond of a double-keyed deadbolt just because it presents a safety issue should I need a quick exit (like for a fire). However, there are definitely security issues to consider, especially if you have any glass in the door.

If the glass is high enough that getting to the deadbolt lever is nigh impossible except for people with chimpanzee-length arms, go with the single-keyed unit to keep your quick egress in case of fire or other emergency.

There is also the option of a double lockset - a single keyed deadbolt for daytime that allows for quick entry/egress with just a flick of the lever, and a key-only blind deadbolt for extra security at night (or whenever).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB