Author Topic: Good frigging god...  (Read 3804 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good frigging god...
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:41 AM »
Two of my coworkers are having a loud, lengthy discussion about how gays are squeezing people out of traditional family/retirement areas of Florida. rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Good frigging god...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:25:57 AM »
hahhahaha
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Good frigging god...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:27:53 AM »
I thought being gay was all about "squeezing in"?
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good frigging god...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:34:54 AM »
Personally I thought those were the kind of discussions you DIDN'T have at the top of your lungs in the middle of the workplace!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Preacherman

Good frigging god...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:14:31 AM »
Well, the Gulf is attractive to certain types of people . . .

Cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Good frigging god...
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:14:51 AM »
Just make sure you let them know that Leviticus allows for males to have concubines. So does book of II Samuel, 1 Kings and Chronicles.

Well that is if they pull the Leviticus 18:22 reference against gays. Pretty funny how you can get them to shut up when it is written that it is okay men to sexual relation with women in addition to their wives.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Good frigging god...
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »
Palm beach had quite the gay community when I was there early 80's. And I don't mean light hearted and frivolous.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Good frigging god...
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:44:37 AM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=2

Welcome to the Armed, Polite Society discussion forum. This venue is for the members of The High Road and other friendly people. The rules of conduct here are what you would expect in any civilized home: be civil to others, don't advocate commission of capital crimes and keep the language and the imagery tame. Otherwise, all topics are welcome.
- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good frigging god...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »
"Just make sure you let them know that Leviticus allows for males to have concubines. So does book of II Samuel, 1 Kings and Chronicles.

Well that is if they pull the Leviticus 18:22 reference against gays. Pretty funny how you can get them to shut up when it is written that it is okay men to sexual relation with women in addition to their wives."

Oh yeah, I'm just going to pop right in with that.

I just wanted them to shut the hell up!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Good frigging god...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 04:30:47 PM »
Quote from: charby
Just make sure you let them know that Leviticus allows for males to have concubines. So does book of II Samuel, 1 Kings and Chronicles. -C
Interesting; can you provide more specific references?  Isn't it a little silly to assume they're bible-thumpers?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Good frigging god...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 07:45:19 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Personally I thought those were the kind of discussions you DIDN'T have at the top of your lungs in the middle of the workplace!
I work with a nimrod that was going on and on about immigration....right in front of our Hispanic janitors....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Good frigging god...
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 01:28:37 AM »
I don't get why that's a problem? If they're Americans they probably aren't crazy about people sneaking over here, either.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Good frigging god...
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 03:26:39 AM »
Y-M-C-A!

Young man, move to Floriduh, I say, young man, skip on down and vote.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Stickjockey

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 04:32:12 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I just wanted them to shut the hell up!
Stand up, take a deep breath, and start belting out Ethel Merman tunes. :evil:
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Good frigging god...
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 04:47:08 AM »
After more thought I'd say if it means following one less Cadillac with a NY plate going 20 mph in a 35 and changing lanes on a whimsy down there, I'm all for it. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good frigging god...
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 05:04:41 AM »
"Stand up, take a deep breath, and start belting out Ethel Merman tunes."

Years ago a friend of mine had a record of Ethel Merman doing show tunes...

Disco style.

He always put it on at the end of a party when he wanted stragglers to get the hell out.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Good frigging god...
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 05:20:29 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Just make sure you let them know that Leviticus allows for males to have concubines. So does book of II Samuel, 1 Kings and Chronicles. -C
Interesting; can you provide more specific references?
Most of the books I mentioned talk of historic figures with mulitiple wives and concubines.

Best example of its cool to have multiple wives and concubines is Exodus 21:10-11

Isn't it a little silly to assume they're bible-thumpers?
With all the people I deal with the ones that have issues with gays are the Bible thumpers and their Leviticus quoting. So I started to revisit the Old Testament to give counter arguement, I guess my education in a Catholic school wasn't totally wasted.

Still my favorite comeback is, "When I was in six grade I asked my priest about the Book of Leviticus, he told me it was a boring old book about a nomadic tribe and I should just look at the entire Old Testament as a history book and live my life by the New Testament."

Okay church chat overwith, lets talk about guns and the best way to smoke a chicken.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Good frigging god...
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 07:55:56 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
I don't get why that's a problem? If they're Americans they probably aren't crazy about people sneaking over here, either.
I work for the government.  If its not pleasntries about the weather, its pretty much verboten in the workplace....and he was bordering on racist comments with the way he was stating his position....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 09:20:53 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Interesting; can you provide more specific references?
Most of the books I mentioned talk of historic figures with mulitiple wives and concubines.

Best example of its cool to have multiple wives and concubines is Exodus 21:10-11

Okay church chat overwith, lets talk about guns and the best way to smoke a chicken.

-C
Nice try, charb.  You bring religion into it, and then try to move past it when challenged on your ill-informed comments.  It is not the case that anything done by the "good guys" in the Bible must be OK with God.  If this were so, it would justify prostitution, among other things.  Nor does the Bible endorse polygamy, concubinage, or slavery, for that matter, even if it fails to specifically condemn them in all cases.  It does seem that the Mosaic law tolerated sinful practices that were integral parts of the economy and social structure of the ancient near East.  But if you want to discount the OT, you'd still have the New Testament passages that condemn homosexuality and barely tolerate polygamy or slavery.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Good frigging god...
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 09:55:52 AM »
But if you want to discount the OT, you'd still have the New Testament passages that condemn homosexuality and barely tolerate polygamy or slavery.
True very true, I was trying to make a point that folks pull support for their feelings from ancient text but pick and choose what they want to use.

Never is a exact right answer with religion, I see the error of my ways, now I am off to say my 12 Hail Marys.

If you're bored read this..  I found it last night

http://www.voxdeserto.com/2005/07/living-by-leviticus.html

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »
RE: the above link on which I wasted very little time

It's really cute when people pretend that the Bible only condemns homosexuality in one verse or only in the Old Testament.  When they seem to think that all conservative Christians or fundamentalists want to legislate against every sin listed in the Bible, (or even that we must in order to be consistent) that's just annoying.  When they comment on the Bible without paying any attention to the millienia of scholarship that has come before them, it's downright sad.

Changed my mind, went back and scrolled to the bottom of the article Charby linked to.  I found this bit of remarkable ignorance.

Except for Paul's remark that it is better to marry than to burn, there are no principles concerning marriage in the New Testament and Jesus did not speak on the matter
Way, way, way off.  This tells us all we need to know of the author's credibility on this or any subject.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Good frigging god...
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 11:25:05 AM »
fistful,

Just a quick question:
Why are you attacking Charby for his personal opinion?

The mark of a rigid closed-minded a$$ is usually taking things and trying to turn them into a tit-for-tat debate.

While I'd rather err on the side of caution, reason and prudence,  life becomes a unique shade of gray when you are thusly bound.

Ring the bells that still can ring,
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

There is a great, peaceful, sanity once you succomb to madness. Wink

Fig

Perd Hapley

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 12:30:22 PM »
Fig,

Arguments about personal opinion are a mainstay of a board such as this one.  Charby chose to use this thread as a platform from which to attack religious people like me, and to twist the words of the scriptures which I hold sacred.  And that without provocation; he was the one to bring religion into the discussion.  While he is free to interpret the Bible any way he wishes or to ignore it altogether, I feel a duty to explain where he has misunderstood Christianity, and to defend my religious beliefs against what I regard as an attack, just as anyone else would defend their political point of view on this board.  

Was I too hard on him?

Keep in mind my last two posts were directed at an article that Charby linked to, not at Charby himself.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Good frigging god...
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »
fistful,

Sorry.  I just hate it when things get heated up between my friends, and was afraid this was deteriorating fast.

Thanks for taking the High Road with me.  My sanity's not what it once was.  I stuck my nose in where it didn't belong.

I'll go back to my corner to drool and sing Kum Ba Yah. Wink

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Good frigging god...
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »
Ok I was just going to bow out, shut up and lick my wounds, but..

I wasn't attacking anyone's religion, just speaking my opinion on how I felt and what I observed. Observed as many people who don't agree with a homosexual lifestyle are quick to pull information from the Old Testament on their disagreement.

I'm done before this turns into who's interpretation is better than whoms.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.