Author Topic: Good frigging god...  (Read 3805 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Good frigging god...
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 01:53:01 PM »
Charby, I also become annoyed when people of my persuasion use the Bible as a basis to support their point of view, when they're talking to people who may not care what the Bible says.  I'm equally annoyed when people assume that the Bible is the only reason to oppose homosexuality, or that every heterosexist (people like me) must be religious.  Different people have different reasons.  

Is this anything like discussing illegal immigration within earshot of the afore-mentioned Hispanic janitors?  That is, dogging Bible-thumpers in the presence of a Bible-thumper?  Smiley  No hard feelings here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Good frigging god...
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 05:45:07 PM »
well, it ain't funny if you live here.......................  and trust me, its a problem

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Good frigging god...
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 07:08:42 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Charby, I also become annoyed when people of my persuasion use the Bible as a basis to support their point of view, when they're talking to people who may not care what the Bible says.  I'm equally annoyed when people assume that the Bible is the only reason to oppose homosexuality, or that every heterosexist (people like me) must be religious.  Different people have different reasons.  

Is this anything like discussing illegal immigration within earshot of the afore-mentioned Hispanic janitors?  That is, dogging Bible-thumpers in the presence of a Bible-thumper?  Smiley  No hard feelings here.
not a problem....  so what is the best handgun to carry while smoking a chicken?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 08:51:20 PM »
Quote from: charby
so what is the best handgun to carry while smoking a chicken?

-C
Depends on what you mean by "smoking a chicken".

If it involves wrapping a large zig-zag around said chicken, I'd recommend staying away from the firearms.

If you mean blasting one at long range and you just need backup, I'd say .44 mag at the least.  If you miss, they might charge, and it could get ugly.

If you're just making a dead one tasty, anything in polished chrome or stainless with mother-of-pearl should work nicely.  It should be carried in your funkiest holster - contrasting stitching, embossed topless female shapes, fringe, snakeskin, fur, rhinestones - everybody has one of these . . . don't they?
For entertainment purposes only.

Strings

Good frigging god...
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
>When they seem to think that all conservative Christians or fundamentalists want to legislate against every sin listed in the Bible<

But that type is FUN to play with!

Was helping out at a game shop (mostly RPGs), and this guy walks in wearing a Packer jogging suit. He looks around a bit, then the conversation goes like this:

Joggin Suit: "Why do you have all this Satanic stuff here?"
Hunter Rose: "Ummm... what Satanic stuff?"
JS: "All this D&D stuff"
HR: "Ummm.... how's it Satanic?"
JS: "Because there's demons in it!"
HR: "Uhhh... the demons are there to get beat up on. What's Satanic about beating up on demons?"
JS: "Well... it isn't Biblical! That makes it Satanic!"
HR: "Dude... football isn't in the Bible, either..."

He left rather quickly...

I really don't mind folks having something personally against something based on the teachings of their faith: that's their choice. However, when folks want to base legislation on the teachings of their faith, I feel that's violating the rights of anyone of differing teachings (I'm talking about things like legislation of morality here, not prohibitions against murder)...

Perd Hapley

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 03:37:36 AM »
But laws against murder are legislations of morality.  Smiley

Yeah, any group will have its misconceptions about what the other side is up to.  Having played a few rounds of D & D, I'm not falling for that particular one.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Good frigging god...
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 05:33:16 AM »
Quote from: crt360
If you're just making a dead one tasty, anything in polished chrome or stainless with mother-of-pearl should work nicely.  It should be carried in your funkiest holster - contrasting stitching, embossed topless female shapes, fringe, snakeskin, fur, rhinestones - everybody has one of these . . . don't they?
I so need that BBQ gun you just described, hell it would just blind the neighbors who seem to show up about 30 minutes after I put the birds on.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Good frigging god...
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 11:07:21 AM »
Hunter's story reminds me of my ex who went totally bible after we divorced. She convinced my youngest who was like 3 at the time that Halloween was "the Devil's day" and was therefore evil and not to be celebrated. The kid NEVER went trick or treating. Some other a$$hole in her church group told him there was no Santa at about the same time. I was fit to be tied. Closest I ever came to burning down a church. Tongue

J/K Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 02:11:05 PM »
280, my church could really use some money to pay off our new building.  Not that I'm suggesting anything.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Good frigging god...
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 02:46:22 PM »
Naw, I think I've caused enough religious trouble for one week. Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Strings

Good frigging god...
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 05:36:46 PM »
heh... the absolute BEST (not to mention scariest) was a girl a friend of mine knew at UW Oshkosh: a member of the "Campus Crusade for Christ". She kept trying to convonce my friend that RPGs were "tools of the Devil", and got you to say "arcane phrases and such". Mike simply spent a couple hours with her, going through all the different rulebooks (and almost breaking through the brainwashing in the process). The leaders of the "Crusade" wouldn't allow her to talk to Mike after that...

Perd Hapley

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 05:55:43 PM »
Now, Hunter, I don't know a whole lot about CCC, but I'm having a hard time believing they control who their members fraternize with.  Or would that be "with whom their members fraternize"?

Strings

Good frigging god...
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 07:40:55 PM »
It would be "with whom". And I'm not exagerating: they told her she wasn't allowed to speak to Mike any more (I know: I asked her about it)...

Remember: religion (of ANY variety) is one of the easiest things to prevert to your own ends. Christianity, paganism, Islam... you name the faith, there's been somebody to pervert it to their own ends. Which isn't really an endictment against religion, so much as a demonstartion of how sick some people are...

Perd Hapley

• friend
Good frigging god...
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 07:56:59 PM »
It would be "indictment" and "demonstration."  Smiley

I don't know about that oft-heard wisdom that religion is "one of the easiest things to prevert to your own ends."  I think it's a matter of what people value, and religion is not that high on the priority scale for Western Man these days.  Seems to me, you're just as likely to sway people with patriotism, but the baser insticts have a lot more sway.  Madison Avenue doesn't use either of those more noble urges to sell toothpaste or automobiles; they use the desire for status, for wealth, for sex and so on.

Probably, if they didn't "let" her speak to that guy, it was motivated out of a concern for her own welfare, not that that makes it OK to control someone.