Author Topic: Do not deviate from accepted herd behavior!  (Read 5106 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Do not deviate from accepted herd behavior!
« on: April 06, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »
A tale of customer service, justice and currency as funny as a $2 bill
Michael Olesker

PUT YOURSELF in Mike Bolesta's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too.

For this, Bolesta, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case.

Continues at: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.olesker08mar08,1,76004.column?coll=bal-local-columnists&ctrack=1&cset=true

Access codes, email:Newslinks@Keepandbeararms.com password:Newslinks
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IANAL, but it would strike me that this fellow may have good grounds for legal action against Best Buy and the arresting cops agency.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Preacherman

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 09:23:59 AM »
The article requires registration before reading (which I won't do on principle).  How about posting it in full?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

RaggedClaws

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 09:29:56 AM »
For Baltimore County police, said spokesman Bill Toohey, "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."
Riiiiiiiight.  What exactly does paying with $2 bills have to do with terrorism?  Oh yeah, everything has to do with terrorism, I keep forgetting that.

Preacherman:  Sindawe gives you an email and password to use (email:Newslinks@Keepandbeararms.com password:Newslinks)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:30:58 AM »
Edit: RaggedClaws beat me to it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Wingshooter

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 09:49:12 AM »
I am simply at a loss for words.  Not that it would do me much good, but I'd be furious.  My sense of humor would have run out about the same time the cuffs came out.
Pedro offers you his protection...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 10:09:17 AM »
Hmmm... I've still got ten $2 bills stashed away from the last time they released them. Perhaps I'll try sticking a couple of them in the self checkout machine at the grocery store..... Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 10:20:56 AM »
All because some nitwit cashier got pissed about having to count  higher than her fingers would allow.  Here's an idea: any of you in the Baltimore area, go buy something at Best Buy and pay in pennies.
Hope he sues both Best Buy and the police dept.

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »
There are so many things wrong with that that I can't begin to count them.  Gawdamighty.  And who the devil is gonna counterfit a two dollar bill?  A twenty, sure.  A ten, maybe.  But a two dollar bill?  Someone needs to grow some common sense.

James

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 01:17:02 PM »
I'm tempted to go to Best Buy, try to buy a DVD with pennies...
Purposely a few dollars short.
I can see it now.
Me:  "Hey...that 4 pack of Eastwood movies looks nice."
They:  "Yep, $20 for the whole thing."
Me:  "$20 eh?  That means about $5 for each right?"
They:  "...yes."
Me:  "Ok, I'll have one of those!"
They:  "Ok..."
Me:  "No, no, just one of the DVDs...$5."
They:  "Erm...ok, sir."
Me:  And, em, that pack of batteries for $3."
*whips out $5.73 in pennies*
*clerk counts them*
"Count 'em again!"
*serveral minutes later*
*whips out wallet, fiddles through bills*
Me:  "Yu got change fer a hun'ed?"
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 02:05:22 PM »
The other day, one of Bolesta's sons needed a few bucks. Bolesta pulled out his wallet and "whipped out a couple of $2 bills. But my son turned away. He said he doesn't want 'em any more."

He's seen where such money can lead.
That is the saddest part of the article.  Giving up hope and the deviant spirit.  That kid was broken by the system that had his father arrested.   Think the kid will grow up having faith in America?  

I sincerely hope he does sue.  Not for monetary gain, but to teach Best Buy and the police department in question a lesson.  If the only way they understand what they did was wrong is to hit their checkbook, so be it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 03:44:23 PM »
For Baltimore County police, said spokesman Bill Toohey, "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."
I can't believe that is all they have to say. It definitely makes me want to get the 30 or so $2 bills I have around here and attempt to spend it.
Rev Disk I agree. The sadest part is his kids reaction.
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

trapperjohn

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 03:54:04 PM »
I can not think of a retailer i hate worse than "best buy"
When gun owners love their guns more than freedom, we have a problem.

Happy Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 04:21:52 PM »
It's just a step toward making all cash transactions illegal.  Smiley

{/Tinfoil Hat OFF}
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Greg Levy

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 04:56:23 PM »
I think I just threw up in my mouth.

This has got to be one of the worst things I have read in a long time.

greg

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 05:44:35 PM »
I'd be more inclined to say "profoundly stupid" than "a little nervous."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Randy in Arizona

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 08:56:44 PM »
Plain pure and simple answer- (though not as simple as the geeks at Best Buy)

SUE THE BA$TARD$!!:mad:angryangryangryangry

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 09:25:50 PM »
I read the article expecting to see that the guy made a huge fuss and got arrested mainly for being a jerk. Low and behold, it sure looks like this guy was pretty reasonable, $2 bills arent all that inconvenient to count, he COULD have paid with 1$ bills or pennies (they DO have the right to refuse them though). The fact that they arrested him for doing nothing more than paying with an unusual form of currency is just weird. Apparently none of these people had ever seen a $2 bill before.

client32

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 05:36:05 AM »
I am a $2 bill user.  I am trying to get a renewed interest in the $2 bill and get them recirculated.  More importantly it is fun.  You can still get them from the bank.  Most every place I have gone to accepts them without any hassle.  (I am fueding with a drive through guy at the moment.  He started it by giving me a 50 cent piece, thinking it was funny.  I gave it back to him on my next trip through along with a $2 bill.  So now I make sure to give him obscure currency when he is attending the drive through, of course he likes to return the favor)  Most people will give a comment about how they thought or heard that there weren't any left.  My wife and I give them as gifts for when our friends kids turn two.  The new gold dollars are fun too.

I haven't ever had anything like this happen to me.  But then again, I haven't ever payed for something that expensive with only 2s.  I attribute this to the stupid people that have taken over.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Alfadog

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 08:04:54 AM »
Quote from: trapperjohn
I can not think of a retailer i hate worse than "best buy"
If you want to see everything that's wrong with America in one place, Best Buy is the place to go.  Stupid employees selling foreign made electronic junk to brainless customers so they can disconnect from reality and wire themselves into debased popular "entertainment" and brainwashing news media.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 09:26:55 AM »
Stupid employees selling foreign made electronic junk to brainless customers so they can disconnect from reality and wire themselves into debased popular "entertainment" and brainwashing news media.
As a former Best Buy employee, I take the gravest possible exception to that statement.  You left out pushy, misinformed, lying, cheating, and stealing.

I "quit" Best Buy because I refused to sell the extended warranty BS when I didn't think it was necessary.  On a few items, sure, I would sell it.  Back then, laptop manufacturers would have nothing to do with you if you wrecked the screen, and back then (this was early '99), they broke WAY too easily.  On some of the more expensive PDAs I would sell it, and on expensive laser printers, since it came with other service (cleaning, replacing the O3 filter, etc), I thought it was a reasonable deal.  On other stuff, when a customer asked if I would buy it, I wouldn't lie.  Management didn't like that.

It came to a head when we were told that when we sold a computer/monitor/printer combo, we should screw them on the accessories.  You get everything loaded up, and move them into a different area.  Then, you remind them that they needed a printer cable, and volunteer to go get it.  You were to grab the most expensive one you could find.  Do the same with surge suppressors, mice, microphones, etc.

I informed my boss that such a practice was, at least, immoral, and, while IANAL, quite possibly illegal and that I would not engage in this little farce.  He informed me that if I held such high moral standards, perhaps I should seek other employment (don't threaten to fire a bright 17 year old who doesn't actually need to work).  I took him up on his offer, wrote up the resignation form, and was working, at twice the pay, for an engineering consulting firm by the end of the week.  

I don't know if all the managers there are so scummy, but I have seen more than a few with that sort of mindset.

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 09:35:25 AM »
LOL priv8ter- actually laughed out loud

auschip

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 09:39:13 AM »
Stupid employees selling foreign made electronic junk to brainless customers so they can disconnect from reality and wire themselves into debased popular "entertainment" and brainwashing news media.
And to think, I bought a GE stove and a Kenmore dishwasher from them.  So, where are the plugs so I can begin debasing myself with popular entertainment?  Mine must be defective!  cheesy

pwolfman

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 09:44:57 AM »
I use the one dollar coins.  I am going to start using the 2 dollar bill now as well.  Wife already thinks I am a little kookie, but what the heck...Smiley  didn't think about the 50 cent pieces...gotta get some of those too...cheesy

Pwolfman

Strings

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 08:38:24 PM »
I like the "gold" dollars for Ren Faire. Maybe I should start keeping $2 bills on me too...

larry_minn

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 08:14:28 AM »
Wife plays (slots) at Post Office.  $20 bill in and buys stamps (around $10) and gets change in SusieB coin.    Bet she has $100 worth of them.