Author Topic: High School doing drug testing on mandatory hair samples  (Read 4480 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
High School doing drug testing on mandatory hair samples
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/01/30/high-school-to-collect-students-hair-for-mandatory-drug-testing/

I say:  Illegal under equal protection under the law and sexual discrimination.  Women have longer hair.  That is storage of a longer potential history of drug use or drug exposure, than men. 

Add to that, men have a greater cultural acceptability level to head shaving.  You'll see all the kids who might be caught, just shave their heads.  When asked for "other hair" from other parts of their bodies, they can just say that is shaved also.  What are you going to do, search them?

Those two elements together create distinct prosecutorial risk or institutional penalties for women than men.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: High School doing drug testing on mandatory hair samples
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
The school will collect 60 strands of hair from the student

OUCH!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
except they aren't prosecuting
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
 Playing Devils Advocate (I'm gonna get so creamed for this  =D )

I think most of agree that drug testing should be maditory for those reseaving government welfare (which we all pay for) so it would make sense that to reseave government education (which we all pay for) to uphold the same standards.
And since I know one arguement against this will be "welfare is volentary, whereas education is required" I will point out that children are not required to go to public schools, just they have to earn some form of education.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Irrelevant.

The ACLU, though, believe school drug testing is a waste of time and money.

“Nothing prohibits it,” Doug Bonney, legal director for the ACLU of Kansas and Western Missouri, told the Star. “But it is a colossal waste of money.”

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
This is at a private school back in the area I grew up.

They, the parents, can make their choice about having their children tested.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:06:03 PM »

jim

Yep.

At first i was getting my dander up, but then I Googled the name of the school. Private Jesuit/Catholic school, and keeping the test results confidential. No  .gov involvment at all. They can do as they wish.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
I don't remember the details but I remember back in high school or middle school they did a drug testing through hair samples on everybody.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
I don't remember the details but I remember back in high school or middle school they did a drug testing through hair samples on everybody.
The subject never came up when I was in school . . . and in my high school (a public school) the student body would have simply refused to participate, as we did whenever the powers-that-be tried to overstep their authority.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
teachers and administration tested too? >:D

thin the herd

hair tests are scary
they work

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »

Never occurred in my HS. Wouldn't have been bad, though. "Have a warrant, sir or ma'am? No? I refuse to comply."

Be sure to teach your kids basic legal knowledge.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »

jim

This.
Right.
Here.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »
Private school. Folks don't like it, they can remove their kids.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:57:21 AM »
My public highschool required one to sign a voluntary waiver for random drug testing before they would issue you a parking permit.  The logic being, you could always take the bus.

Even though I was totally straight laced, I took some offense to this.  I tried various work arounds, but in the end just decided to forge a parking permit.  And thus, highschool taught me that my principals were more important then arbitrary rules.  A lesson that's served me well.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
My public highschool required one to sign a voluntary waiver for random drug testing before they would issue you a parking permit.  The logic being, you could always take the bus.

Even though I was totally straight laced, I took some offense to this.  I tried various work arounds, but in the end just decided to forge a parking permit.  And thus, highschool taught me that my principals were more important then arbitrary rules.  A lesson that's served me well.

In fairness, your school DID teach you an important lesson and you arrived at the proper solution.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
My public highschool required one to sign a voluntary waiver for random drug testing before they would issue you a parking permit.  The logic being, you could always take the bus . . .
My public high school back in Chicago didn't have a student parking lot - it was strictly on-street parking around the school - so the admins couldn't try to hold this over our heads. The subject never came up at the parochial elementary school I attended - in fact, I don't recall ever even seeing written school rules; it was a case of whatever the nuns said on a given day was the rule. (Same with the "lay teachers" in higher grades.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »

Err, if it taught you that your principals were more important than arbitrary rules, wouldn't that mean you'd have to follow the arbitrary rules created by your principals?  :lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Be sure to teach your kids basic legal knowledge.

Done. My 10 year old knows not to consent to any kind of search.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
teachers and administration tested too? >:D

thin the herd

hair tests are scary
they work

Heh!

I will neither confirm nor deny any similar activity on my part in my callow youth.

If you can monkeywrench any foolish or intrusive rule at little or no cost to yourself, do so.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »
. . . If you can monkeywrench any foolish or intrusive rule at little or no cost to yourself, do so.
I was never particular about observing rules that didn't have the force of law behind them . . . especially in my youth when I was below voting age and had no say in choosing those who made the rules.

I'll just add that "in my day" the first words out of any kid's mouth if interviewed about student drug testing would have been something along the lines of "How about teachers and staff? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING?"