Author Topic: 49ers: Culliver homophobia  (Read 9896 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
49ers: Culliver homophobia
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/01/30/49ers-cornerback-chris-culliver-gays-not-welcome/

lulz.  This should be fun to follow on Kos and HuffPo.

ETA:  Title changed to appease Teh Charby.

ETA2: Two-ex capitulation to Teh Charby.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:40:51 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: change it
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
Dude change the title of the topic, please.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: 49ers: No gheyz in locker room
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »
Guys wearing tight pants and slapping each others bottoms should really not judge others...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »
Guys wearing tight pants and slapping each others bottoms should really not judge others...

Especially a team out of San Fran!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »
Try again on the title
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: 49ers: Culliver homophobia
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »
Gotta change the title again. "Homophobia" is a hateful slur.  :police:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
Gotta change the title again. "Homophobia" is a hateful slur.  :police:

Whereas "insensitive, politically incorrect, bigotted Richard Cranium" is not?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »
I see no evidence that the dude has a pathological fear of homosexuals. Incorrectly used term is incorrect.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
I see no evidence that the dude has a pathological fear of homosexuals. Incorrectly used term is incorrect.

Then why is he so adimit about them not being in the locker room?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »
Not sure I care that much about this particular kettle storm either way, but should straight men be allowed in a women's locker room?  If not, why not?  Androphobia?  Heterophobia?  Sexpositivephobia?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »

;/

If you are concerned about or even just dislike anything, you must obviously have a crippling, pathological fear of it. No other possible explanation.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »

What's that phrase?  "I hate the word homophobia.  You are not scared. You are an ahole."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
Not sure I care that much about this particular kettle storm either way, but should straight men be allowed in a women's locker room?  If not, why not?  Androphobia?  Heterophobia?  Sexpositivephobia?

Erectopenia

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
Erectopenia
But wait, that's the same issue with Culliver's complaint!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
Do any of you really thing openly gay players would be generally welcome on any football team pro or college?  Aside from Manti Teo at least.  I am sure closet gay players have been there already.

Interesting how public attitudes have changed in 20 years or so.  The pro-gay lobby has done a great job with media adjusting the public mindset. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
It kind of puzzles me why he would bother talking about the topic at all.  He is free to his opinion, but I question the wisdom of doing so while being a paid entertainer living in SF. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
It kind of puzzles me why he would bother talking about the topic at all.  He is free to his opinion, but I question the wisdom of doing so while being a paid entertainer living in SF.  

He was baited by the interviewer of course.

Sex is only private if it doesn't involve sodomy. If it involves sodomy we all all have to express our admiration for the courage of those willing to be "progressive" enough to embrace a sexual practice as old as humanity, lol.

People are sheep.

They believe what the idiot box tells them to believe. It works well because the idiot box tells them what they want to hear. Then it gets reenforced in the government schools.

Porridge instead of a birthright, licentiousness instead of liberty, security instead of freedom, nothing new under the sun.  
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »
It is not often on APS, that you see 'sodomy' and 'sheep' mentioned in the same post.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »

Probably. It's really stupid the way we hide disguise our bodies, only to turn around and flaunt them for sexual gratification and then get insulted because someone finds us attractive.

It only becomes insulting when the intrested party can't take "no" for an answer.

And maybe that's what Culliver is scared of. That he wouldn't say "no". In truth, THAT'S what homophobia is a pathicalogical fear of. It's not that a person is scared of gays. It is the fear of being gay. And there is nothing more frighting then being scared of yourself and what you really want.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »
It is not often on APS, that you see 'sodomy' and 'sheep' mentioned in the same post.

You'd think you'd hear it more, what with Tallpine and his Montanan proclivities present. :rofl:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:13 PM »

Maybe he doesn't like them?

Maybe he takes a strict Biblical view toward homosexuality and doesn't approve of that lifestyle?

Neither is an irrational fear, thus not a "phobia."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »
I think a lot of this is pretty basic, but it seems that some are overly fixated on the homosexual aspect of this so I'll write it anyway.

It isn't about sexual orientation, it is about prurience.

Probably. It's really stupid the way we hide disguise our bodies, only to turn around and flaunt them for sexual gratification and then get insulted because someone finds us attractive.
I won't argue that there are drawbacks to some of the sexual hangups our culture has, but that is not the same thing as pretending that our society doesn't have them, or deciding to unilaterally ignore them.  One of those common hangups is a fear of being undressed in front of people who receive sexual gratification from that exposure without our approval.  It is this hangup that makes me think that our society isn't quite ready for unisex changing rooms and coed bathing facilities, and until it is normal to have mixed changing rooms, there will be some level of concern about homosexuals using the same facilities and for the same reasons.

The primary cause of conflict here is the dislike of someone taking prurient interest in nakedness outside of a relationship that expects or encourages sexual stimulation.  Outside of those specific relationships - which may be monogamous, polygamous, commercial, or what-have-you - it becomes creepy, rude, and discomfiting.

It only becomes insulting when the intrested party can't take "no" for an answer.
I don't know if that is true.  For instance, a random creepy guy might accept your "no" when they suggest a sexual activity, but continue to ogle you from across the room to the point of making you uncomfortable.  A parent might pass around a picture of their toddler in the bathtub to normal folks who receive no sexual gratification from such a photo, but if someone began to get aroused and breathe heavily when they saw the same picture, the parent would very likely be upset.  Likewise, we think little of nudity for medical, artistic, scientific or other non-sexual purposes, but if a gynecologist were to start playing pocket pool during an examination, most patients would be understandably alarmed.  When someone's "private" naked photographs are stolen or shared with people outside their target audience, most of the time those people feel violated and used. 

It's not only a problem when an interested party refuses to hear your "no".

And maybe that's what Culliver is scared of. That he wouldn't say "no". In truth, THAT'S what homophobia is a pathicalogical fear of. It's not that a person is scared of gays. It is the fear of being gay. And there is nothing more frighting then being scared of yourself and what you really want.
Do you really think so?  I'm sure there are some real-life examples of people who were overtly anti-homosexual in a subconscious rejection of their own desires, but that is hardly the norm. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there is a significant introspective component to it, just not in the way you propose.

We segregate changing facilities by gender not strictly so we are surrounded by people with similar plumbing, but because on average it protects us from having to be concerned about someone staring lasciviously at us when we are vulnerable and undressed.  Are those concerns realistic?  Maybe, maybe not; there are a lot of people who don't have to worry about inspiring lust in others.  Even so, a young, straight person of either sex at some point probably daydreams about what it would be like to be a fly on the wall of the other changing room, and they aren't thinking about averting their eyes.  My opinion is that Mr. Culliver is probably subconsciously reversing the roles by mentally placing himself in a woman's locker room.  If he would want to stare lecherously at attractive women as they shower, why wouldn't he likewise be concerned about a homosexual man doing the same thing in the men's locker room?

If everyone kept their eyes to themselves in locker rooms, there would be little reason to split them up by gender in the first place.  Realistically, people in our culture don't tend to do that.  I don't think it is homophobic to believe that a homosexual might behave similarly to a heterosexual when surrounded by unclothed members of their preferred gender.

When I was in high school, I remember a group of kids sitting down at lunch talking about (what else?) breasts.  One moderately attractive girl couldn't understand what the obsession was.  "They're just fat and skin!  They're no big deal!"  When some of the guys at the table offered to inspect, touch and photograph her no-big-deals she immediately turned them down.  Even if she truly believed that exposing the female chest wasn't a big deal, when it was a big deal for someone else it suddenly became one to her.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:08 AM »
There's nothing wrong with being a straight man and objecting to a gay man in the locker room...

And until I'm allowed in a ladies locker room, all these folks need to quit *expletive deleted*ing whining about it.

Why is it ok to prohibit males from a women's locker room, but not a gay man from a men's room?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 09:41:17 AM »
Not only was he guilty of speaking that which is not allowed; he committed the greater crime, the thought crime of privately holding an opinion contrary to "modern" dogma.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.