Author Topic: Ammo shortage prediction thread.  (Read 5812 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Ammo shortage prediction thread.
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »
Was at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and they had good quantities of 9mm, .223/5.56, .45 ACP, .22 rimfire, and shotgun shells, as well as some .40, a little 10mm, and some other rifle rounds. Didn't see any .30 Super Carry, .38 Spec, .357, .41, or .44 Mag out on the shelves. I neglected to check on critical reloading components like primers or powder. Prices of course were up significantly from just a couple of years ago - WAY more than the laughable "official" inflation numbers fed.gov puts out.

ALL the guns at Bass Pro Shops have trigger locks, and they WON'T remove them until AFTER you purchase the gun. The salesman - a retired guy working there part time - who I talked to said a lot of people - including him - don't want to buy a gun without trying the trigger, and that some people go and try the gun elsewhere and then come to BPS or Cabela's to buy. I told him BPS management obviously doesn't want to sell guns, so I'll honor their wishes by shopping - and buying - elsewhere. He nodded and said "I hear that a lot." I also said "And I'll tell you, a lot of your non-gun merchandise is available from other sources, so I'll probably buy that elsewhere too." His response was "I get that a lot, too. But I'm only here part time so . . ." and he shrugged.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 10:12:21 AM »
I think he likes to read his own text (similar to, they like to hear themselves speak)

Not to speak for Perd, but I take the necro as looking at the shortage we had when this thread first appeared, and how things are now, after we had another ammo shortage.

I don't have numbers, but I know that I got some killer bulk deals just before this last shortage (and wish I'd bought 10x more), which shows we recovered once to plenty of ammo and bargain prices.

I'm starting to see reasonable deals again, but not near the pre-covid prices. Some stuff is still just plain ridiculous. I need .300BLK, but I'm not desperate enough for the still high prices (>$1/rnd) on that. I'm seeing known brand brass 9mm down to the 35 cent range.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 10:18:38 AM »
ALL the guns at Bass Pro Shops have trigger locks, and they WON'T remove them until AFTER you purchase the gun. The salesman - a retired guy working there part time - who I talked to said a lot of people - including him - don't want to buy a gun without trying the trigger, and that some people go and try the gun elsewhere and then come to BPS or Cabela's to buy. I told him BPS management obviously doesn't want to sell guns, so I'll honor their wishes by shopping - and buying - elsewhere. He nodded and said "I hear that a lot." I also said "And I'll tell you, a lot of your non-gun merchandise is available from other sources, so I'll probably buy that elsewhere too." His response was "I get that a lot, too. But I'm only here part time so . . ." and he shrugged.

I've been complaining about that at Cabelas since that trigger lock thing started. It's insulting. Early on, the employees agreed with me. I don't think there are any pre-BP employees left at my Cabelas though. I only "buy" a gun at Cabelas now when I have the Cabelas credit card points. I like to use the Cabelas card at my LGS, then when I have the points for a gun, go to Cabelas and get one for free.  =D

Also, it takes like four employees and 45 minutes to walk out of that store with a gun anymore with all the "verification checks" they do. Then they tape up your case so you can't open it between the gun counter and the front door. I'm waiting for BP to tell them that guns have to be taped thusly:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2022, 10:25:01 AM »
Bass Pro seems to always be a bit more expensive than other stores and their selection isn't really all that great at the stores.  Bigger selection of scopes than guns.  I used to swing by the one in Pearland whenever I went up to Houston, but not much anymore.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2022, 10:27:23 AM »
I think he likes to read his own text (similar to, they like to hear themselves speak)

The Gul Dukat of APS   :rofl:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »
Just out of curiosity on the trigger lock tangent, I did a quick search, and the following was repeated at more than one website. I have no idea if it's true or not, but it would certainly fit in with "corporate attorney recommendation".

Apparently, at a Bass Pro in KC, a guy came in and wanted to check out a pistol. When the gun was handed to him, he proceed to put a round in the chamber and blew his brains out at the counter. Hence the new policy.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/cabelas-new-trigger-lock-policy.974784/