Author Topic: Glock wants to restrict Blue Gun sales  (Read 8582 times)

red headed stranger

• friend
Glock wants to restrict Blue Gun sales
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »
Check out the top of this link:

http://www.blueguns.com/default.asp

Glock has recently issued a New Contract with Ring's Manufacturing Inc. (BLUEGUNS) to manufacture Glock Blueguns as we have been doing for the past 10 years. This new contract states that Glock restricts the sale of Glock Blueguns to the Public. We are restricted to selling Glock Blueguns to the Police, Military, Trainers, Police Distributors, or Holster Manufacturers. We ask that our customers abide by these rules and refrain from offering Glock Blueguns to the Public on the Internet, Publications or General Catalogs. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your support.

I am curious what the reaction in the general gun community will be to this one. This might be enough for some people who are already sick of dealing with the latest reliability problems to look for another option.  I carry a Glock nearly everyday, but I am under no illusion that they would ever be a staunch RKBA advocate. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Glock wants to restrict Blue Gun sales
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
I'm trying to wrap my head around why this would even be a change Glock would make.
I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:51:59 PM »
What does this accomplish? How is limiting access to a training safety tool good for safety, PR, or anything else? It's only plausible as a precursor to restricting "civilian" firearm sales.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
That is bizarre.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:56:19 PM »
Yeah...  the logic behind this escapes me as well.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Maybe this: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f11/blue-gun-17984/index2.html

Not sure if he was talking about Blue label or blue training guns. I qualify for Blue label guns and own a blue training gun Glock 17T, which fires a Simunition round. They are very hard to find because they are supposed to be sold to law enforcement agencies only. They are made by Glock and can be converted to shoot live ammunition, hence the restriction from Glock. I bought mine NIB and it transfers like any firearm and is registered in 9mm. You can find them both new and used if you look. They are rare. You may only find a handful for sale across the US at any given time.

ETA: Or maybe something similar.

ETA2:  Looks like this went down before all the current issues: http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tactics-competition-107/185148-glock-doesnt-want-you-training-your-own-anymore-page-3.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:04:42 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
Maybe this: http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f11/blue-gun-17984/index2.html

Yeah, but I don't think blueguns.com sells the blue frames intended for Simunitions or live guns of any sort - blue label or not.  They sell inert chunks of plastic.
Ring’s Manufacturing crafts the most detailed, accurate and extensive line of “Firearm Simulators” on the market today. All of our products are inert detailed replicas of actual weapons designed for Law Enforcement and Military Training.

Each product is made with strong, impact-resistant polyurethane with steel reinforcement. This prevents bending and flexing while maintaining the detail, handling and balance of the actual weapon they represent.

Each gun is fabricated in "Law Enforcement Blue" - the most recognized safety color
in the world. Ask for “BLUEGUNS ", a realistic & safe alternative to using live firearms in training situations.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
I still wonder how this kinda stuff doesn't get through their heads.

Backlash in 5,   4,  3...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
Is this ONLY in the US, or internationally? I read recently that Mexico has a major problem with toy guns that people paint to look real. Not sure how easy is it is to get blue guns in other countries, but maybe Glock is taking part in some "stop toy gun violence" push or something.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »
I'm thinking there's some sort of market advantage Glock perceives, but I can't for the life of me think what it is.

Blue guns used in holster manufacture as molds? Trying to set up a network of "preferred" holster makers?

I can't imagine there's any concern over unrestricted teaching of disarmament/retention techniques. Having your exact service/carry weapon is helpful, but any old gun-shaped object will do.

They don't shoot, don't even have any moving parts, so there's no conceivable way they dilute actual Glock sales.

The only thing I can think of is that the vast majority of blue-gun sales are to LEO's/LEA's for training anyway, so there's little real risk of alienating the "civilian market" and there's any number of products, like Remington shotgun folding stocks, certain lines of ammo that are marked or restricted to "Law Enforcement Use Only" even though there's no legal regulation mandating as such, simply to increase their "panache" in those markets.  ;/

Few groups/people are above something that "makes them feel speshul", which is dumb of course, but it works.

Is this ONLY in the US, or internationally? I read recently that Mexico has a major problem with toy guns that people paint to look real. Not sure how easy is it is to get blue guns in other countries, but maybe Glock is taking part in some "stop toy gun violence" push or something.

With the ubiquity of 1:1 Airsoft replicas from Asia, that have more realism, are often cheaper than the blue gunssuch as actual bores, functioning slides etc., I can't imagine why someone would go through the trouble to paint a blue gun for crime or intimidation purposes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:12:45 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »
Yeah, but I don't think blueguns.com sells the blue frames intended for Simunitions or live guns of any sort - blue label or not.  They sell inert chunks of plastic.

Exactly.  The simunition-type training guns are made by Glock and have been restricted for a long time.  In this case, the Ring manufacturing guns are just big blocks of plastic intended to fit in your holster for CQB or retention/disarm type practice. Ring is licensed by Glock to make the inert replicas.

My wild speculation is that Glock has been pressured by a city where they have a big contract (like NYC) to make some moves that make them look like a "responsible manufacturer."  

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
There have been a few other odd moves that Glock has made since their new MArketing'sales manager has taken over. 

They have been redrawing the lines concerning where certain Blue Label dealers can sell, and without warning they discontinued their LE pricing for GSSF member Glock armorers.  The armorer thing ticked me and several others off, as many justified spending $195 on the one-day class with the fact that one could get 2 Blue-label Glocks at LE pricing.  It remians to be seen if their "Glock ID" social network will amount to anything useful. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »
Makes me wonder if they are taking steps to try and gain advantage with the current administration, seeking leverage with government contracts, especially with the military considering a new sidearm...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
Makes me wonder if they are taking steps to try and gain advantage with the current administration, seeking leverage with government contracts, especially with the military considering a new sidearm...
We are talking about a third party contract to produce inert guns - not sure how restricting that gives them any advantage anywhere.

This is so strange, the only two possibilities that make any sense to me are:
1. Legal boilerplate carried over from another contract and misapplied on accident.
2. The first step in a larger scheme of restrictions.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »
Well I would loudly declare that I'll never buy another Glock, but the trigger that feels like dragging a dead body over a gravel road did that.

So.....uh......ARRRGH! Bad Glock!

Seriously though Glock the company has never struck me as particularly great in terms of ethos, so no real surprise.

I'm in the camp that they are trying to curry favor with some  .gov agency.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »

Well, they slogan to which the aspire, is already taken by HK.

Because you suck, and we hate you!

So they'll have to come up with something else.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
Sense - this makes absolutely none. At all. ???
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »

Sense - this makes absolutely none. At all. ???

=D

Don't worry, someone will be along shortly to decode it.

Failing that, go to Correia's site and search for the phrase.

Oh, and gratuitous HK backwards-mag-load pic . . .
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:42:00 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

Okay, the promised "decode posse" has not arrived, so here's a link or two clarifying the origins of the

HK. Because You Suck, And We Hate You

thing.

Here's Larry's writeup.

And here are a couple of posters.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 07:28:08 PM »

=D

I was referring to Glock's decision regarding the blue guns. Like...wut? ??? Why? ???

Okay, the promised "decode posse" has not arrived, so here's a link or two clarifying the origins of thething.

Here's Larry's writeup.

And here are a couple of posters.
Already read those. Many of the comments are pure comedy gold.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »
We need to start an APS blue gun company
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »

But even an APS bluegun company would have to contract to make replicas of Glock's proprietary products.  So we'd get caught in the same trap.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »

The blueguns people already beat us to making a replica of the official APS gun: 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 01:02:48 AM »

=D

Oh, and gratuitous HK backwards-mag-load pic . . .

You'll shoot your eye kid!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams