Author Topic: Cordless Drill/Drivers  (Read 3318 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Cordless Drill/Drivers
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
Our NiMH powered Makita drill/driver is basically toast.  One battery will only give a couple minutes run time, the other is better but still past its normally useful capacity.  Plus the motor and clutch is clearly not what used to be.

Apparently cordless drills have changed a lot in the nearly 10 years since we bought that one.  What should I be looking for in the new generation?  What are the good values (i.e. not the cheap junk but not the gold plated version either)?
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Cordless Drill/Drivers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:31:51 PM »
Your current drill, what voltage is it? Is it 1/2" chuck, or 3/8," or what?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
Our NiMH powered Makita drill/driver is basically toast.  One battery will only give a couple minutes run time, the other is better but still past its normally useful capacity.  Plus the motor and clutch is clearly not what used to be.

Apparently cordless drills have changed a lot in the nearly 10 years since we bought that one.  What should I be looking for in the new generation?  What are the good values (i.e. not the cheap junk but not the gold plated version either)?

I've had good luck with the mid-value Black and Decker stuff ($60-80), though I don't really use a drill all that often, so I can't say how well they would hold up to heavy use.

I got a B&D Matrix for Christmas that's pretty neat; it allows you to change out heads. They have a regular driver, an impact driver, a jigsaw, and a couple of other heads for it. It only comes with one head, though, and you have to buy the others seperately; they're $40 each, IIRC. Base drill is $70, I believe. Edit: Base drill has a 3/8" chuck, though.

Haven't used it for anything yet, though, but it feels pretty solid. It's a 20v and uses a Lithium battery.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:49:05 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
18V, 2.6Ah.  1/2" chuck

Makita 6347D
Formerly sumpnz

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »
I have this Ryobi that I bought new. I've done a lot of work with it, putting up new fencing and other jobs. I love it. The batteries charge quickly, the drill has tons of torque, and it's built well.

It's the first really good drill I've ever had, so I'm a little biased.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:52:57 AM »
I have this Ryobi that I bought new. I've done a lot of work with it, putting up new fencing and other jobs. I love it. The batteries charge quickly, the drill has tons of torque, and it's built well.

It's the first really good drill I've ever had, so I'm a little biased.

I've used a couple of those. They are really not bad. If I planned to keep a drill for ten years, I'd look for something a little more up-market.

I'm not terribly familiar with the current market, but I would hesitate to buy a drill with a plastic and steel chuck (like the Ryobi above). They seem to be "homeowner-grade." The tougher "contractor-grade" tools tend to have an all-metal chuck.

Also, Li-ion batteries seem all the rage now, and you can get lighter, smaller drills, now, in 18V, 1/2", if you want.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:13:09 AM »
$150 is a lot for me to spend on a drill, Fistful. That was pushing it.

It seems like the chuck is metal, but with a plastic or rubber surround. I'll have to look at it closely.

If I was going to go contractor-level, I'd go with Milwaukee Electric Tool. But I don't have $1000 to spend on a drill.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 02:28:01 AM »
$150 is a lot for me to spend on a drill, Fistful. That was pushing it.

It seems like the chuck is metal, but with a plastic or rubber surround. I'll have to look at it closely.

If I was going to go contractor-level, I'd go with Milwaukee Electric Tool. But I don't have $1000 to spend on a drill.

I was not trying to criticize you at all, or your drill. For the OP's benefit I was saying that that particular Ryobi is not a bad choice. Since he's managed to kill a Makita, I just think he's probably looking for something a little tougher.

Yes, the working parts of the chuck are definitely metal, with a plastic collar around it. I've just found that it marks the difference between two different grades of tool. I could be totally wrong. I know when I went from a blue Ryobi with the plastic-looking chuck to a Ridgid with an all-steel chuck, it was a definite step up in performance.

Home Depot sells a Milwaukee 18V 1/2" for $170. I don't know about that particular drill, but Milwaukee seems to be a pretty solid brand. I have some of their 12V tools, and they do jobs they really have no business doing, for their size and power.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:33:51 AM »
I didn't think you were criticizing, Fistful. Sorry if I gave that impression.

$170 for a Milwaukee Electric anything is cheap. My BIL uses Milwaukee Electric for all of his plumbing/HVAC work, and some of those tools cost a couple grand each.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »
Milwaukee guy myself. 1 thing I like is the lithium ion batteries fit my older tools . I work mine  like a rented mule. have the whole ensemble. batteries aren't cheap shop around you can get them cheaper.or get em rebuilt.i got 18 volt impact driver and drill (2 tools) for 120 off ebay  one battery
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 08:02:37 AM »
i have the makita li-ion 18v compact 1/2" drill, 1/2" hammer drill, driver, and saw.   they work great, and have decent battery life.  i use the compact drill 95% of the time as it is light weight and will drive 4" screws with no problem.  the driver is better for putting on a roof or other apps when you drive a lot of screws as it doesn't torque your wrist like a drill does.  i have no problems with the performance of these tools, but i do have regrets investing in the makita system as my local store now carries milwaukee and they seem to have many more apps for their system (pipe cutters, etc). 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »
I wouldnt waste my time with a Ryobi or Black and Decker. Theyd always cheap out at work by buying those and they were no bueno.

Highly recommend Porter Cable.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 10:30:59 AM »
Biggest question, what are you using it for?

For basic around the house stuff, the mid range and up B&D, Skill, and Ryobi stuff works well. Just keep in mind what they are, decent quality homeowner/light DIY grade tools. No need to spend 100+ to hang a few shelves and similar tasks on occasion. They fill that role well but wont hold up well for heavier use.

For contracting or heavy DIY, or just cause you feel mo powa is mo bettah, it's defiantly worth the step up. In that arena I'd go with DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Bosch.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »
Most anything will work okay for occasional home use. Net result of B&D's acquisition of DeWalt seems to be a modest cheapening of the DeWalts and some improvements in the B&D's...

However, if you see any good deals on Bosch or Hitachi snap those up.
I promise not to duck.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »
I wouldnt waste my time with a Ryobi or Black and Decker. Theyd always cheap out at work by buying those and they were no bueno.

Highly recommend Porter Cable.

like others have said, these are fine for occasional jobs, but in addition to durabilty one of the big differences in price is the rpm's. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
Dewalt is overpriced crap. I'll second the recommendation for Porter Cable, or at least their nimh models. Haven't tried the lithium.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
You could buy two new batteries for $100 or less.  Anything wrong with the drill itself - or are you just wanting a new drill?
I bought a new battery for my 20 year old Makita last year.  I've still got a jones for a new drill, but I'll still keep the Makita for light work.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
Ryobi is a home DIY-grade brand? Man, $150 doesn't buy much these days.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
Ryobi is a home DIY-grade brand? Man, $150 doesn't buy much these days.

They should have at least come with moccasins for that price.

(IBTI)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
Dewalt is overpriced crap. I'll second the recommendation for Porter Cable, or at least their nimh models. Haven't tried the lithium.

Disagree, my dad and I have killed tools of any brand, and the dewalt contractor grade drill/drivers have been the best so far for cordless, especially the 18/24V lithium nano ones.  Milwaukee is making great strides though, and my go-to for recip, circular saw, and for corded drills you can't beat a hole shooter...those things will be around after the nuclear Armaggedon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
for corded drills you can't beat a hole shooter...those things will be around after the nuclear Armaggedon

I have one from back when I was doing oilfield construction in the early 80's. Still purrs like a kitten (or growls like a tiger). They'll spin a little guy if the bit gets stuck, just like in the cartoons.

Referring to a couple of posts above - are new DeWalt batteries compatible with older drills? I've got one 15 or so year old one and one that's 10 years old, and batteries on both are getting pretty short on run time. I wasn't sure you could use a newer Lithium battery with an older drill motor. The ten year old batteries are from an 18 volt kit, so would run a recip saw and circular saw as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
My opinion of Dewalt is based in using the angle grinders in a machine shop. The cordless drills work ok, but don't justify the price imho. The angle grinders suck.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »
Initial use will be light household/DIY stuff.  But, I still harbor delusions of getting my old woodshop back.  In which case any drill would probably see moderate-heavy DIY level use.
Formerly sumpnz

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »
I've run through a couple of B&D 18v driver/drills in the last 5 years.  They've been mostly used for moderate around the house stuff and worked, but I'm thinking to spend a bit more next time, probably going to DeWalt.

The current B&D has a great feature I've been unable to find on anything else.  The chuck is removable (press buttons on both sides of the chuck and it pulls off) and there's a 1/4" hex drive under it.  I normally keep a #2 phillips bit there; drill the pilot hole, remove the chuck and drive the screw.  Tons easier than constantly changing out the drill & driver bits.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin