Author Topic: Gun control video game lets players shoot up Sandy Hook.  (Read 3524 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Gun control video game lets players shoot up Sandy Hook.
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:41:57 AM »

Game teaches "the importance of gun control" by inviting players to play the part of Adam Lanza, and slaughter kiddos.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/364341/pro-gun-control-game-allows-players-reenact-sandy-hook-sterling-beard

Through the looking glass.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Gun control video game lets players shoot up Sandy Hook.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:48:14 AM »
Through the looking glass.  :facepalm:

Every time I think I have a handle on just how deranged our enemies are, they do something like this.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:01:23 AM »
Every time I think I have a handle on just how deranged our enemies are Western culture has become, they do something like this, and get away with it.

I'm afraid my version is closer to the truth.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:18:06 AM »

I'm afraid my version is closer to the truth.

Agreed.

But right now we are focusing on this one thing.  Which seems to be geared towards "proving" that violent video games cause violent behavior in real life.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
Agreed.

But right now we are focusing on this one thing.  Which seems to be geared towards "proving" that violent video games cause violent behavior in real life.

stay safe.

Who is focusing on that?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 06:17:10 AM »
Who is focusing on that?

Mostly nanny-statists who are concerned about how violent video games are.

On the other hand, youth violence trends downward as better game consoles are released, and studies have found no to negative correlations between playing 'video games', 'violent video games' and real world violence...

It's a bit off topic, but I remember one 'study' that looked at violent cartoons resulting in increased violence in young children.  Then you read into the study and find that they counted live-action shows like Power Rangers as 'cartoons', that it required no parental supervision and only caused short-term violence as kids acted out what they saw on the TV - and it only really happened with the live-action stuff.  Warner Brother's cartoons had little effect.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
So, anyone play yet? What's your score?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
So, anyone play yet? What's your score?

I started on "normal" difficulty,  sent my character to steal my mom's guns, and it said "AR-15 rifles are banned in Connecticut,  game over."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
It's a bit off topic, but I remember one 'study' that looked at violent cartoons resulting in increased violence in young children.  Then you read into the study and find that they counted live-action shows like Power Rangers as 'cartoons', that it required no parental supervision and only caused short-term violence as kids acted out what they saw on the TV - and it only really happened with the live-action stuff.  Warner Brother's cartoons had little effect.

What's that? The antis have to pad their numbers and lie to get the results they want? Say it ain't so!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 10:56:58 AM »
Mostly nanny-statists who are concerned about how violent video games are.

On the other hand, youth violence trends downward as better game consoles are released, and studies have found no to negative correlations between playing 'video games', 'violent video games' and real world violence...

Hell, overall violence is decreasing, which is said to be due to the reduction of lead in the environment.  I don't think video games have that much to do with decreasing violence by themselves, but I do think that they're certainly not causing it.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »
Things like this lead me to believe that anti gunners are crazy and know it.  They don't trust themselves with guns, but seem to think everyone else is just as guano crazy as they are.  Of course, that only covers the ones that are almost honest.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
Things like this lead me to believe that anti gunners are crazy and know it.  They don't trust themselves with guns, but seem to think everyone else is just as guano crazy as they are.  Of course, that only covers the ones that are almost honest.

+1000

I've heard many antis confess that they wouldn't trust themselves with guns.  They're afraid of going into a rage and hurting someone.  My response is always agreement that they shouldn't own a gun if they have such little control over their anger.  The problem is that they are incapable of imagining, or admitting to themselves, that somebody else might be more emotionally healthy than they are.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
Hell, overall violence is decreasing, which is said to be due to the reduction of lead in the environment.  I don't think video games have that much to do with decreasing violence by themselves, but I do think that they're certainly not causing it.

That is getting popular mainly based on a dude over at Think Progress going on a quest to prove that the folks in prison have higher lead content in their blood, lead poisoning can lead to poor impulse control, and therefore all criminals are really just victims of growing up poor and being exposed to environmental lead contamination. I mentioned this theory to a nurse friend once, and she pointed out that increased lead in the blood is also a common side effect from illegal drug use.

I'm not saying that the theory is wholly refuted, but there is some cart/horse correlation/causality things going on there.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.