Author Topic: Sandy Hook Question  (Read 7931 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Sandy Hook Question
« on: February 05, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »
This is a stupid question, but did the sandy hook shooter actually use an AR-15 pattern rifle?

The news sure makes it sounds like he did, but several people have told me that's not the case, that there were only 4 handguns in the school.  Googling doesn't turn up anything conclusive.

Anyone got a straight answer on this with evidence to back it up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Sandy Hook Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »
Everything I've heard indicates the rifle was left behind in his vehical.

So, yes, he possessed one at the time of the crime, but he did not use it it, or even have it on his person at the time of the crime.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Nearly everything *I'VE* read states that he DID use the AR, and it was an Izhmash shotgun in the car. CT State Police put out a press release on 1/18 (a couple of weeks ago) stating Lanza carried two handguns and a Bushmaster into the school, and there was a semi-auto shotgun that somewhat resembled an AR recovered from the trunk of the car. The coroner is on record saying that the kids' wounds were ALL from the .223 rounds fired from the Bushmaster.

The video which has been making the rounds lately dates from DECEMBER 15TH, the day after Sandy Hook - back before the facts were out, and during the mad frenzy to be first with any kind of story, even if it turned out to be wrong.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »
He used the Bushmaster AR-15 to kill everyone at the school. He used one of the TWO (not four) handguns to murder his mother, and then to commit suicide as the police arrived at the school.

The fourth weapon, the one found in the trunk of the car, as a shotgun.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »
 ???

This whole mess is so confusing.

ok, I stand corrected... Sorta... Do we have links to credible sources.
Are there credible sources?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
The Sandy hook shooting has more holes in, then Swiss cheese. I'm not sure what to believe. :facepalm:

erictank

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »
CT DSP report: http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?A=4226&Q=517284

And like I said, the only reports I'm seeing stating anything other than that the AR was the weapon used for the murders are the reports based on month-old rush-to-get-the-story-out crap, and  [tinfoil] brigade stuff.

There are a few press releases on the CT DSP page (http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/browse.asp?a=4226&bc=0&c=27627), and it seems as though most news agencies have their stories straight now. Wish they could be "first with the FACTS", rather than "first with ANY story, even if it's 100% completely incorrect at first," but if they were competent, they'd have real jobs, right?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
???

This whole mess is so confusing.

ok, I stand corrected... Sorta... Do we have links to credible sources.
Are there credible sources?

Yes.  ALL the sources, EXCEPT the one flawed NBC story have the AR used in the shooting.  The "confusion" is due to that one early story combined with Internet commandos misidentifying the shotgun in the trunk as the rifle.

Hawkmoon is correct.

He brought the rifle and (one or more) handguns into the school, used the rifle primarily until it jammed, then offed himself with  handgun.

Total rifle round count was 79, if recent reports are accurate, though he went through more than the expected number of magazines (ie he dropped more than two)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
Yes.  ALL the sources, EXCEPT the one flawed NBC story have the AR used in the shooting.  The "confusion" is due to that one early story combined with Internet commandos misidentifying the shotgun in the trunk as the rifle.

Hawkmoon is correct.

He brought the rifle and (one or more) handguns into the school, used the rifle primarily until it jammed, then offed himself with  handgun.

Total rifle round count was 79, if recent reports are accurate, though he went through more than the expected number of magazines (ie he dropped more than two)

It was a reasonable question given the hype and misinformation surronding the whole event and the events stemming from it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »

The State Police theorize that he was an avid game player, and in the games he played you do better doing "tactical" reloads when transitioning between active scenarios. They reported that, although he was carrying all 30-round magazines, he didn't fire more than 15 out of any of them. They figure he was just "fighting as he trained." (Sorry.)

I discussed this with a friend who plays a lot of combat games, and he confirmed that's the way most of the "old hands" play.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »
It was a reasonable question given the hype and misinformation surrounding the whole event and the events stemming from it.

I think so. I think someone else here asked the same question a while ago.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:16 PM »
What would account for the 100% kill rate? Usually, there are at least some wounded(in addition to the killed) in shooting sprees.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 02:31:56 AM »
What would account for the 100% kill rate? Usually, there are at least some wounded(in addition to the killed) in shooting sprees.

The reports I have seen generally say that there were 2 wounded survivors. 

But, I think the fatality rate was so high because he was using a rifle at across-the-room range. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:14:40 AM »

I'd love to see a detailed investigation. My theory is he was on his own 20 minutes. No reason that in suburbia it takes 20 minutes for a cop to get anywhere, so for a goodly portion of that time someone was sitting outside the school either a beat cop waiting for instruction or a special cop getting dressed in special cop clothes. So, 20 minutes. Then add time for them to secure the scene for ems to go in there. I'm going to guess that some kids bled to death that could have been saved with immediate action. Especially if an SRO or armed teacher shot the twit and started lifesaving aid immediately. How many teachers have any clue on treating GSWs?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
It was a reasonable question given the hype and misinformation surronding the whole event and the events stemming from it.

I know, I didn't mean any negative tone.  Sorry.

The reports I have seen generally say that there were 2 wounded survivors. 

But, I think the fatality rate was so high because he was using a rifle at across-the-room range. 

What would also account for the high fraction is biological.
The following is my (given reasonable experience in studying terminal ballistics literature) thoughts on the matter.

1.  The adults were probably shot multiple times at close range, and were among the first to be shot, and thus the most time to bleed out.
2.  If some of the reports are to believed, he was using "green" bullets, which, if that is true, substantially increase the temporary (elastic) wound cavity relative to ball rounds, and thus cause more damage, especially in cases where significant penetration isn't "needed"

And 3, the most unfortunate, is that the bulk of the victims were small children.
(Apologies for the detail here, I know its horrifying, and it is not my intention to dwell on that, but rather to explain, so don't read if it will bother you)

The physical size of the victims in this case leads, in my opinion, directly to the high degree of lethality.  As the size of the damaged region from a bullet is the same in biological material (small people have the same composition as large people), a given size damaged region can be substantially more lethal on a smaller person--there is a greater likelihood that the temporary wound cavity will intersect with major vessels and/or highly vascular organs (liver, kidney, etc).  Additionally, as the damaged area is larger in proportion, and the overall blood supply volume is lower, a given loss rate will result in a much quicker fatal blood loss, even without accounting for higher blood pressure and heart rate associated with the type of victims here.

Given that, and the significant (from a biological standpoint) amount of time before medical treatment could possibly be applied (all the adults were killed, and the first responders had an active shooter to deal with, and there were far more victims than responders for the medically significant first 10-20 minutes), the resulting fatality rate is sadly, predictable.

If low penetration ammunition were in fact used, the greater rate of energy deposition per unit depth would result in even worse damage in the case of these victims, due to lower overall depth to the vital areas.

Again, I am extremely sorry for describing this horrifying event in such terms, it is not my intention to disgust or sadden.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »
I'd love to see a detailed investigation. My theory is he was on his own 20 minutes. No reason that in suburbia it takes 20 minutes for a cop to get anywhere, so for a goodly portion of that time someone was sitting outside the school either a beat cop waiting for instruction or a special cop getting dressed in special cop clothes. So, 20 minutes. Then add time for them to secure the scene for ems to go in there. I'm going to guess that some kids bled to death that could have been saved with immediate action. Especially if an SRO or armed teacher shot the twit and started lifesaving aid immediately. How many teachers have any clue on treating GSWs?

I don't think thats a bad theory.  We heard early reports he was shooting up the school for 20-30 minutes.  Now, how much of that time did police know he was shooting? when was the inital call made?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »

I highly doubt any cop was waiting outside of the school. Active shooter doctrine is to enter structure ASAP even alone and try to engage the shooter ASAP.

20 minutes goes by DAMN fast when you are the responder. Someone had to call 911, how long was the shooter actively shooting before that call was able to be made? Then 911 Dispatch has to communicate with the caller, find out what is going on (and understandably the caller in the situation is likely to be completely hysterical and unintelligable, I haven't listened to any 911 tapes from this one) and dispatch emergency responders. Then the cops respond to the 911 dispatch, which also might take some time considering traffic and how far away they are from the school.

Rolling up on the school you unlock your rifle from the rack and throw your plate carrier on and grab your active shooter bag or chest rig if you had the foresight to have one and move up to the school. Now to get in. Remember that modern schools lock their exterior doors except for the main entrance to try to prevent unauthorized persons entering the building, and IIRC Sandy Hook had the main entrance locked and someone letting people in, which is where the shooter made his entrance. So depending on where the first officers made their entrance, they could have had to force entry, which takes time, and more time if you don't practice such skills on a frequent basis.

Then it's a matter of clearing a school, which is a HUGE place, which screaming kids and staff and trying to find and neutralize the shooter. The reports I'm hearing say approx 15 mins elapsed between the time the 911 call was placed and the shooter selfDarwinated after facing the police which I don't see how that time could be really reduced in such a situation.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
I can't find the cite, but I'd read one report some police stated the gunfire sounded so loud and was echoing, that they thought it was outside, and they spent several minutes looking for where it came from before they entered the school. Had they understood it was inside, they'd have gone in immediately.

Of course, like all the other "reports", no idea if that's accurate or not.  =|

Seems to me though that if there's lots of shooting going on OUTSIDE a school, the best tactic would be to get INSIDE the school, and set up the defensive perimeter for the kids (and get some cover for yourself too). Although it's always easy to MMQB these things.
I promise not to duck.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
Again, I am extremely sorry for describing this horrifying event in such terms, it is not my intention to disgust or sadden.

No need to apologize. We are having a cool, logical, reasoned discussion in an attempt to UNDERSTAND what happened... it not about cheap gore thrill.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »
I can't find the cite, but I'd read one report some police stated the gunfire sounded so loud and was echoing, that they thought it was outside,

I read something along those lines in an interview the first police on the scene did recently with the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/nyregion/horrors-of-newtown-shooting-scene-are-slow-to-fade.html?pagewanted=all

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »
I know, I didn't mean any negative tone.  Sorry.

What would also account for the high fraction is biological.
The following is my (given reasonable experience in studying terminal ballistics literature) thoughts on the matter.

1.  The adults were probably shot multiple times at close range, and were among the first to be shot, and thus the most time to bleed out.
2.  If some of the reports are to believed, he was using "green" bullets, which, if that is true, substantially increase the temporary (elastic) wound cavity relative to ball rounds, and thus cause more damage, especially in cases where significant penetration isn't "needed"

And 3, the most unfortunate, is that the bulk of the victims were small children.
(Apologies for the detail here, I know its horrifying, and it is not my intention to dwell on that, but rather to explain, so don't read if it will bother you)

The physical size of the victims in this case leads, in my opinion, directly to the high degree of lethality.  As the size of the damaged region from a bullet is the same in biological material (small people have the same composition as large people), a given size damaged region can be substantially more lethal on a smaller person--there is a greater likelihood that the temporary wound cavity will intersect with major vessels and/or highly vascular organs (liver, kidney, etc).  Additionally, as the damaged area is larger in proportion, and the overall blood supply volume is lower, a given loss rate will result in a much quicker fatal blood loss, even without accounting for higher blood pressure and heart rate associated with the type of victims here.

Given that, and the significant (from a biological standpoint) amount of time before medical treatment could possibly be applied (all the adults were killed, and the first responders had an active shooter to deal with, and there were far more victims than responders for the medically significant first 10-20 minutes), the resulting fatality rate is sadly, predictable.

If low penetration ammunition were in fact used, the greater rate of energy deposition per unit depth would result in even worse damage in the case of these victims, due to lower overall depth to the vital areas.

No offense taken.

My thoughts were similar, although without the medical knowledge, I wasn't sure, but it makes sense.

Perhaps, pushing for teachers/school staff to have more EMT type training, especially training specific to the age of the children at the school, including training for trama wounds, wouldn't be a bad idea.
That's useful for more then just violent attack by an outsider and could have potentially made a much bigger diffrence in this scenerio.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
From the NYT article linked above.

Most of the bodies were found in the classroom next door, where, Detective Frank recalled, “the teacher had them huddled up like a mother hen — simple as that, in a corner.”

I believe this type of thinking may have added to the number of fatalities. With the capability of the 5.56 to cause through and through wounds on smaller bodies, some of the fatalities with multiple GSWs may have been caused by the close proximity to each other as they were in the corner. IMO, in this case, running and screaming may have been a better course of action.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
Seems to me though that if there's lots of shooting going on OUTSIDE a school, the best tactic would be to get INSIDE the school, and set up the defensive perimeter for the kids (and get some cover for yourself too). Although it's always easy to MMQB these things.

No, schools are generally too large to secure with the first few responding officers. Best thing to do is actively search for the shooter and neutralize him ASAP.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
No, schools are generally too large to secure with the first few responding officers. Best thing to do is actively search for the shooter and neutralize him ASAP.

Kobayashi Maru