Author Topic: Helpful Hints and Tricks  (Read 3258 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Helpful Hints and Tricks
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:10:30 PM »
The purpose of this thread is to allow the posting of quick hints and tricks for everybody to use, kind of like LifeHacker.

If you like your ice cream soft, put the container in a freezer bag and no matter when you take it out of the freezer it will be soft.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Helpful Hints and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »
Always drink upstream from the herd.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:20:01 AM »
When someone says "hold my beer, watch this". RUN

When a woman says "I need some time". It's half a sentence. "Without you" is the other half.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:54 AM »
Squat wide if you keep your spurs on.

Anyone else can open a screw-on jar lid on the first try after you have struggled with it for hours.  Save time and just give it to someone else to open.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:05:04 AM »
When the kid are around they can get a little messy with the jelly jars. If you spray a little Pam type cooking spray on the ring and around the rim of the jar it will keep the lid from sticking if you don't see it to wipe it off. Also works well on Honey. I buy honey in quart jars from a local beekeeper and the wife is pretty careless about cleaning up drips on the jar and lid so I spray it as well. Makes it easier to clean off later too,
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »
Anything worth shooting once is likely worth shooting twice.

Don't wiz on the electric fence.

When...in the wild, be careful on leaf selection. It can make or break your day.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
Always pee downhill.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
Never, ever fight fair.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

chefman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
Be careful what you say, that which is spoken cannot be unspoken. :-X
Just because you stepped in it don't mean you have to stand in it....just sayin'

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
Cash is an excellent method of budgeting.  Go to the ATM, take out some money.  At home, put all your credit cards and debit cards in the safe, take out a fresh $20 bill, put it in your wallet and go about your day.

It introduces real risk.  If you need gas to get home, and spend all of your twenty on lunch out; you're screwed.  This is a feature, not a bug.

Even if you only do this for a few weeks, you'll be amazed at how many daily "needs" are actually "wants".

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
But I want all the things I want!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
Even if you only do this for a few weeks, you'll be amazed at how many daily "needs" are actually "wants".

Vending machines with credit card slots are the devil.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:08 PM »
Envelope cash budgeting planning.

All money goes in an envelope, and there is an envelope for each budget item.

When do you want the item?  Divide cost by paydays, deposit increments every payday.

If there's no envelope for an item, there's no spending for the item.  If there's no money in the envelope for an item, you don't buy it.

If your total paycheck won't cover all the envelopes, something gets cut or delayed.

You can substitute juice cans, margarine or yogurt tubs for envelopes; they wear better, but take up a lot more space.  (I used little sherbet tubs during one period.)

You always know where your money is, you always know where it's going.

Want personal "just for me" money?  There's an envelope for that.

There is no "general fund," just as there is no "petty cash."  If you don't plan for it, you don't spend for it.

I have done this three different times in my life.

I always had enough money.  I always managed to keep my car repaired and my bills paid.  And I didn't buy anything impulsively.

I replaced the engine, fenders, paint, and tires on my car using this plan.  I bought new clothes using it.  I fed my family with it.  I bought my computers with it.

There is just nothing quite like not being in debt.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »

I'll get back to you on that. In 7 weeks!!! =D

Samuel Adams

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »

Very much agreed, and if you really need this much systematization, by all means, use it. But our system is simpler: If you don't need it, don't buy it.

For example, we live in the same house that she contracted for when her salary was half of what it is now, and we were not yet married, -- I lived 300 miles away -- so my income was not part of the affordability calculations.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
Fresh one I just learned today. If you don't have a toilet spud wrench, a padlock with a moderately long hasp will fill that role surprisingly well.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
Cash is an excellent method of budgeting.  Go to the ATM, take out some money.  At home, put all your credit cards and debit cards in the safe, take out a fresh $20 bill, put it in your wallet and go about your day.

It introduces real risk.  If you need gas to get home, and spend all of your twenty on lunch out; you're screwed.  This is a feature, not a bug.

I sorta do this. I reserve my debit card for gas money, checks that have to be checks, and, if I want to make an online perchase. And I only keep enough on it to do those things.

Everything else I do in cash. It's a lot easier to keep track of money, when it's actual money, not numbers written down somewhere.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
When screwing into wood, a dab of dish soap on the tip eases penetration.  Dries up and doesn't affect holding power.

If you need to drill a hole to a certain depth but no deeper, wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »
When screwing into wood, a dab of dish soap on the tip eases penetration.  Dries up and doesn't affect holding power.

I was working in our gift shop putting up some shelving and needed to slick up the screw so I went over to the fancy soap/lotion display and used the $10 a bar soap that was on display. My gift shop cashier was not amused LOL
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »

I use wax instead of soap.  Keep a toilet wax ring in the shop for lubing screws, drawers, saw blades and a lot of other things.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:42:25 PM »
Nose oil.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 04:49:58 AM »
With wood screws and stripped or oversize holes, whittle a tapered splinter, stick some wood glue on it, pound it in, slice it off, re-screw.

Never trust a monkey with a handgun, no matter how responsible they seem.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »
Unwaxed dental floss makes for an outstandingly strong thread when repairing/modifying heavy duty clothing.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
With wood screws and stripped or oversize holes, whittle a tapered splinter, stick some wood glue on it, pound it in, slice it off, re-screw.

Toothpicks work well. I've repaired several stripped out holes on guitars this way
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »
Spread a layer of clumping kitty litter on the plastic sheeting before you get rid of that troublesome person. It prevents embarassing leakage as you dispose of the evidence.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.