Author Topic: Spark plug gap?  (Read 1497 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Spark plug gap?
« on: February 08, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
Anyone know about what the gap should be for a 10hp briggs and scrap iron engine?
My snow blower was not running good, actually it will only run with the choke on. I removed the plug to clean it and dropped it and well "lost" the gap.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Spark plug gap?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »
a dime
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
Would depend on whether it is points/condensor or electronic ignition.

Seems like for points* was about .030 and for electronic about .050.

* NOT the points themselves, plug on a points system
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:19 PM »
Check the air filter, too.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
.035-.040 will get just about any gas engine running well enough to diagnose the other issues. On a B+S it'll do it fine unless you're running a jr dragster.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM »
I set it to .030 earlier before this post. Sounds like it should do the trick. I don't have the manual for it. Its on a 15 year old craftsman snowblower I inherited.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
.035-.040 will get just about any gas engine running well enough to diagnose the other issues. On a B+S it'll do it fine unless you're running a jr dragster.

^^^ This.

I use .035 for everything from lawn mowers and chain saws to my race engines.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
I've been using 0.035" since my dad taught me in the mid-1970s, on damned near everything.

Oh, and I'll take a Briggs & Stratton any day over a Tecumseh, even if I have to rebuild the former.  I consider the latter disposable. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
I've been using 0.035" since my dad taught me in the mid-1970s, on damned near everything.

Oh, and I'll take a Briggs & Stratton any day over a Tecumseh, even if I have to rebuild the former.  I consider the latter disposable. 

Damn right. I can usually get an B&S running. Tecumsehs are tools of the devil.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
I'll 4th the .035 and forget it, it is just not that important. It will run a chainsaw, it will run a 800hp alcohol motor. Verify your spark then go fix the problem. Only run with the choke on, so you have spark. Also means you have not enough fuel to match your air. So, blow through the carb with good cleaner, clean the gas tank, hope that fixes it before you have to disassemble the carb and clean out the fuel pick-ups. Can I bet the safe line on old ethanol containing gas?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
I'll 4th the .035 and forget it, it is just not that important. It will run a chainsaw, it will run a 800hp alcohol motor. Verify your spark then go fix the problem. Only run with the choke on, so you have spark. Also means you have not enough fuel to match your air. So, blow through the carb with good cleaner, clean the gas tank, hope that fixes it before you have to disassemble the carb and clean out the fuel pick-ups. Can I bet the safe line on old ethanol containing gas?
It has staybil marine in the gas. so  :rofl:
A few months-mods

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:01:15 PM »
I've an old tiller with a B&S motor on it, when it last ran it would only run with the choke full on.  That was the second time this symptom appeared.

The cause was an air leak around the top of the butterfly shaft.  Instead of rebuilding the carb, I bought a new one for ~$35.  Ran fine until it was over-wintered a second time, pulled the same crap again after running for a few hours.  Didn't bother to fix it the second time, needed a larger tiller anyway.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »
It has staybil marine in the gas. so  :rofl:

I lose again. Still need to clean the carb and make sure fuel is getting through.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 11:42:47 AM »
If it's solid state ignition, it will run better at around 0.050"

Except I usually just eyeball it and it runs fine  :lol:

PS: sometimes a spark plug will go bad but it looks just fine.  I've had that a couple times on chainsaws: it suddenly won't run or runs like crap and a brand new plug fixes it.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »
Well got done snow blowing 6" of crap. Thing is still running like shat, tried adjusting air and gas and no dice. Still wants some choke to stay running. I'll have to drop it off to the mower shop. God I hate small engines.
A few months-mods

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »
Well got done snow blowing 6" of crap. Thing is still running like shat, tried adjusting air and gas and no dice. Still wants some choke to stay running. I'll have to drop it off to the mower shop. God I hate small engines.

You might try a brand new spark plug first  =|

Although it is probably an air leak somewhere.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »

i have a similar craftsman.  every winter it starts off like that, needing the choke to run.  i find if i turn the carb mixture screw all the way in, and then back it out the same number of turns, it will let me adjust the mixture better and will run well for the rest of the year.  to finalize the adjustment, let the engine warm up and (at full throttle) keep opening the mixture screw until it runs without the choke.   mine runs best under load if it is a 1/4 turn past where that setting takes me. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2