Author Topic: The IOC Eliminates Wrestling From The 2020 Olympics  (Read 9438 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
The IOC Eliminates Wrestling From The 2020 Olympics
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
http://deadspin.com/5983637/the-ioc-eliminates-wrestling-from-the-2020-olympics-for-some-reason
Yesterday, members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) convened in order to decide which of the 26 core Olympic sports would be dropped from the 2020 summer games in order to make room for the inclusion of a new sport.

Not like there is any history of wrestling in the Olympics or anything.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: The IOC Eliminates Wrestling From The 2020 Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:20 PM »
Further undermining for me the credibility of the whole exercise. Geesh.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
At first I thought it was an Onion headline!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
I'm seriously surprised they did not exchange Greco-Roman for Mud.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
But we can all breath a sigh of relief. They are keeping Field Hockey. (No, this is also not a joke.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:35:40 PM »

IOC is a joke. And I seriously question where all that loot is going...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:44:42 PM »
FILA didn't bribe the right folks or anyone apparently.

When something doesn't make sense, follow the money.
FILA was greatly astonished by today's recommendation of the IOC Executive Board not to maintain wrestling among the 25 core sports for the 2020 Olympic Games. FILA will take all necessary measures to convince the IOC Executive Board and IOC members of the aberration of such decision against one of the founding sports of the ancient and modern Olympic Games. FILA has always complied with the IOC regulations and is reprensented in 180 countries, with wrestling being the national sport in a fair amount of them and the only possibility for athletes to represent their country at the Olympic Games, thus contributing to their universality.

The FILA Bureau will meet in Phuket (THA) on 16-17 February and will address this issue in view of the presentation of wrestling in front of the IOC Executive Board in St-Petersburg next May.   
http://fila-official.com/

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »
What do martial arts have to do with the Olympics anyways?  I, for one, want more hard-hitting events like Transsexual Floor Exercises.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:34:46 PM »
But we can all breath a sigh of relief. They are keeping Field Hockey. (No, this is also not a joke.)

And Beach Volleyball. Now THERE's a sport that's truly of Olympic calibre.

Morons.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 04:39:48 PM »
Does that mean brass pole dancing is now on the schedule?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
Now that I am working at the USOC HQ in Colorado Springs, EVERYONE on the floor here was just as surprised. 
Karate, Wushu, and Wakeboarding are supposed to be up for consideration (??????) for the 2020 games.  I;ve heard a rumor that Rugby may be in the mix too. 

Part of it is financial.  No one was buying tickets to see the wrestling and that's where a lot of funding comes from.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »
We need more subjective events so that everyone can be a winner.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »
Olympics are about anything but sports. It has become a private-public endeavor to promote corporate commerce and boost national status. One big circus.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 09:25:52 PM »
Karate, Wushu, and Wakeboarding are supposed to be up for consideration (??????) for the 2020 games. 

I thought Wushu was a Chinese pork dish ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »
I thought Wushu was a Chinese pork dish ...

Then, Olympics=pancakes? Count me in!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »

And they added GOLF.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
Common guys. The brutal, ultra-competitive sport of twirling ribbons to music is still around. How much do we really have to complain about?
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »
Part of it is financial.  No one was buying tickets to see the wrestling and that's where a lot of funding comes from.

Guess they picked the wrong wrestlers:

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 09:01:41 AM »

This just isn't a very popular sport.  I have been to a couple of college matches and I would have to say that wrestling is painfully dull for such a physical sport.  In addition, there were only a few dozen people in the audience and this was two Big 10 Universities. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
Then they should add a MMA category, they would get standing room only crowds.

MMA is the evolutionary child of combat grappling.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
We need more subjective events so that everyone can be a winner. we can choose the winners ourselves.
FIFY

But at least they'll keep horse dancing.

I'm seriously surprised they did not exchange Greco-Roman for Mud.
Not mud - Jello. Organic and edible. Or maybe whipped cream. As a coed team sport.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
Then they should add a MMA category, they would get standing room only crowds.

MMA is the evolutionary child of combat grappling.
Call it Pankration, and you have a ton of historical backing for it, too.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
This just isn't a very popular sport.  I have been to a couple of college matches and I would have to say that wrestling is painfully dull for such a physical sport.  In addition, there were only a few dozen people in the audience and this was two Big 10 Universities. 

As opposed to the massive draw of field hockey?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
As opposed to the massive draw of field hockey?

I have never been to a game, so I have no idea. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 06:26:20 PM »
I have never been to a game, so I have no idea.  

Athletic woman in short skirts with sticks.

Considering my new appreciation for the sheer violence of water polo (holy hell! They beat the crap out of each other!) I'm guessing that feild hockey could have a similar appeal.

As for drawing crowds and watching paint dry, somehow presicion shooting draws a huge crowd yet I think watching paint dry would be more fun then that, so who knows.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds