Author Topic: Argument AGAINST allowing encrypted comms for PD's, SWAT, etc  (Read 8742 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Argument AGAINST allowing encrypted comms for PD's, SWAT, etc
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gAAbylq0Isk#t=10m20s

If comms were encrypted, these radio transmissions would never be making the news.

Need to outlaw encrypted comms for law enforcement.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Argument AGAINST allowing encrypted comms for PD's, SWAT, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »

Much simpler. Encrypted radios are illegal for Joe Regular, per FCC*. Ergo, they should be illegal for law enforcement as well. Law enforcement should have no extra legal powers not granted to everyone, except for traffic stuff and the ability to arrest folks.

* Yes, they are. You can set up a packet network over the radio network (ie mini internet) and encrypt the IP traffic running over the unencrypted radio links. You cannot directly encrypt anything using most end-user frequencies.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and even if I was, I wouldn't be YOUR lawyer. Above is opinion, and not to be considered legal or technical advice.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
I not only want unencrypted commo, I want LEOs GPS-tagged in real time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »
If comms were encrypted, these radio transmissions would never be making the news.
Yep.

I can understand the desire to hide tactical comms from suspects, but at minimum there must be a way to evaluate such communications after the fact.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Agreed. All police comms should be recorded and held in archive for a specified amount of time, specifically to subject police actions to external scrutiny should the need arise. Technology allows it (easy as pie) and there are really no excuses not to.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:34 AM »
Agreed. All police comms should be recorded and held in archive for a specified amount of time, specifically to subject police actions to external scrutiny should the need arise. Technology allows it (easy as pie) and there are really no excuses not to.

And they should be FREE to download by any interested party, 24 hours after an action.  No delay, no equivocation, no asking for permission.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
And they should be FREE to download by any interested party, 24 hours after an action.  No delay, no equivocation, no asking for permission.
Sounds fair to me.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:12 AM »

Most (if not all) 911/dispatch agencies record *everything* going in or out, and keep it for up to a year....   That being said, navigating a FOIA request and actually *getting* the info you're looknig for can be challenging...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
The local city (Milwaukee) got encrypted comms awhile back under a system called 'Open Sky.'
Its a complete fiasco- the comms work inconsistantly and are often are cut off by buildings/trees/ or anything that interferes with the digital signals.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »
The "local" (that is, in or near the county seat) LE radio channel is encrypted, but out in the rest of the county they have to use the same repeaters shared by fire, EMT, road maintenance, school bus, etc.

Doesn't a specific frequency either have to be encrypted or not encrypted  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »
Law enforcement should have no extra legal powers not granted to everyone, except for traffic stuff and the ability to arrest folks.

FIFY

Everyone should have the same arrest powers as police. I don't see why traffic is any different either.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »
Everyone should have the same arrest powers as police. I don't see why traffic is any different either.
How should that work?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »
How should that work?

Yeah I'm curious as to that myself.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
The local city (Milwaukee) got encrypted comms awhile back under a system called 'Open Sky.'
Its a complete fiasco- the comms work inconsistantly and are often are cut off by buildings/trees/ or anything that interferes with the digital signals.

sounds like the Airwave system in use here
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »
How should that work?

Same arrest powers as Joe Citizen.  The difference is the salary and added responsibility.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
Same arrest powers as Joe Citizen.  The difference is the salary and added responsibility.
I'm asking about the traffic stops initiated by Joe Citizen.  I can't see those going well.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
I'm asking about the traffic stops initiated by Joe Citizen.  I can't see those going well.

realist   statist :facepalm: [popcorn]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Take the revenue aspect out of the picture and the amount of traffic stops even necessary drop dramatically.

Cops shouldn't be tax collectors. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »
The "local" (that is, in or near the county seat) LE radio channel is encrypted, but out in the rest of the county they have to use the same repeaters shared by fire, EMT, road maintenance, school bus, etc.

Doesn't a specific frequency either have to be encrypted or not encrypted

#1 Repeater tower can be configured to handle encrypted or not encrypted frequencies.

#2 All radios must have the same encrypted key or keys to be on a secured network.

#3 If the cops have encrypted radio they would need a non secured radio for, firefights , EMT's , and air recover if, they are not on the same network.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »

No, if Joe Citizen is pulling folk over for no good reason, that would not go well.  But, LEOs ought not do that, either.  It not being Joe Citizen's job to do so, I don't think we'd have to worry overmuch, as he would leave the arresting to those paid to do so.  If a LEO makes a habit out of bad stops, he ought to be subject to sanction as well, the same sanctions that would nail Joe Citizen.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »
No, if Joe Citizen is pulling folk over for no good reason, that would not go well.  But, LEOs ought not do that, either.  It not being Joe Citizen's job to do so, I don't think we'd have to worry overmuch, as he would leave the arresting to those paid to do so.  If a LEO makes a habit out of bad stops, he ought to be subject to sanction as well, the same sanctions that would nail Joe Citizen.
I'm not even thinking bad stops. What if someone is driving dangerously - maybe speeding and swerving left of center?  How does Joe Citizen initiate a stop?  If you are speeding a little and someone comes right up behind you flashing their headlights, are you supposed to pull over?  Is refusing to stop for Joe Citizen a crime?  If not, why bother?  If so, wouldn't that be a perfect MO for attackers?

I guess I just don't understand how it would work.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »
I'm not even thinking bad stops. What if someone is driving dangerously - maybe speeding and swerving left of center?  How does Joe Citizen initiate a stop?  If you are speeding a little and someone comes right up behind you flashing their headlights, are you supposed to pull over?  Is refusing to stop for Joe Citizen a crime?  If not, why bother?  If so, wouldn't that be a perfect MO for attackers?

I guess I just don't understand how it would work.

I think we are coming at it from different directions.  Maybe you are assuming that Joe Citizen will be given more authority to do this-and-such, and will then do more than he does today.  OYOH, I assume that Officer Leo D Kopp has particular powers and legal assumptions stripped or placed on parity with Joe Citizen.  I am not assuming folks hired to enforce the law go buh-bye and leave all policing to Joe Citizen.  I AM assuming that Joe & Leo are treated similarly when they do similar things and that there is no law that makes one or the other somehow immune or above the other.

Leo, being paid to enforce the law will have an incentive to do so.  Joe will not have that incentive and can be expected to play a much lesser role in enforcing the law in his community.  Perhaps he (and other Citizens) may initiate only when they witness some grievous act or in the prolonged absence of Leo & his kind.  After all, Joe needs to make a living.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
I think we are coming at it from different directions.  Maybe you are assuming that Joe Citizen will be given more authority to do this-and-such, and will then do more than he does today.  OYOH, I assume that Officer Leo D Kopp has particular powers and legal assumptions stripped or placed on parity with Joe Citizen.  I am not assuming folks hired to enforce the law go buh-bye and leave all policing to Joe Citizen.  I AM assuming that Joe & Leo are treated similarly when they do similar things and that there is no law that makes one or the other somehow immune or above the other.

Leo, being paid to enforce the law will have an incentive to do so.  Joe will not have that incentive and can be expected to play a much lesser role in enforcing the law in his community.  Perhaps he (and other Citizens) may initiate only when they witness some grievous act or in the prolonged absence of Leo & his kind.  After all, Joe needs to make a living.
Fair enough.  FYI, I'm not figuring that Joe Citizen will do all the policing, but if he's got the authority to pull someone over it will happen.

For good or ill:
Parity at the current Joe Citizen level would essentially eliminate enforcement of traffic laws and put any attempt to stop someone for just about any crime at the sole discretion of the perpetrator.
Parity at the current Leo D Kopp level would create all matter of problems of its own.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
There are too many "laws" on the books for John Q Public to self police itself.

It would take an overhaul of the entire system, gutting the stupid revenue enhancing framework in favor of minimalist good sense law.

Unfortunately there just aren't enough folks with good sense. We're surrounded by pampered, entitled, full grown humans with the temperament of adolescents.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »
There are too many "laws" on the books for John Q Public to self police itself.

We'd really only need a handful of laws to make it work.
6, 8 & 9 of the Ten Commandments should cover 99% of it.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams