Author Topic: Magpul  (Read 8861 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Magpul
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
Magpul announced via Facebook that if the Colorado gun control legislation
(SHB 1224?) passes, they will leave Colorado.
I wish more manufacturers would grow a set and leave gun unfriendly states behind.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Magpul
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
Go Magpul!

(And come to AZ!) =D

ETA:  I hope they also say they won't sell to CO law enforcement, either.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
Probably a solid business move.  People in the gun culture tend to remember things like this.

Good for them!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »
That makes me feel even better about buying there stuff.  Of course if they stop production to move we'll never see their stuff. oh well.

I'd really like to see some bigger companies like S&W or Glock do this.  As great as this and Oly and the rest are, I fear most legislatures are like "Magwho?".

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »
Magpul's bread and butter is mostly with the open civilian market, so they are wise to react to attempts to kill civilian purchases. Other companies like Glock probably wouldn't care too much because they are well established in the closed .gov market.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
Magpul's bread and butter is mostly with the open civilian market, so they are wise to react to attempts to kill civilian purchases. Other companies like Glock probably wouldn't care too much because they are well established in the closed .gov market.

I never understood this mentality.

There are between 800k and 1 million sworn law enforcement officers, fed and local, in the US.

There are 150 million gun owners.  47 percent of Americans answer that they have at least 1 gun in the home.  At 310 million total US population, that means nearly half own guns.  You want to quibble over interpretation in regards to that then the most we're arguing over might be 25 million.

But that's 1 million, versus over 100 million.

If Glock had 1% of the civilian market share... they're on par with having a 100% monopoly on the law enforcement market share.  And they only have about 60% of the law enforcement market, sharing the rest with Sig, Beretta, S&W and whomever else has the remaining scraps.

So, they are willing to rile up the 100+ million gun owners over a market slice of 600k or so?

And the gunnies like most of us here... I don't have enough digits to count all the guns I own.  I currently don't own a Glock, but I have in the past.  I imagine there are dozens of Glock owners here, many of whom own more than 1 specimen.  And pay attention to things like this.

The US firearms market is CONSUMER driven.  No LEO driven.

If consumers were to actively punish manufacturers that complied and kowtowed to leftists/statists, they'd go out of business.  There isn't enough government contracts to keep them afloat.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
i was in the wegmans yuppy grocery yesterday

every one of the gun mags on the shelf had a modern sporting rifle on the cover. I heard magpul was offered an exemption to stay and sell out of state and keep the tax revenue in CO.

Rich is a smart guy and has the manufacturing under contract at multiple jobbers.
I hope where ever he lands, he builds an awesome facility.

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
Ill have to fag out another carbine with magpul goodness once this whole obamination crap blows over. :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
I never understood this mentality.

You suck and we hate you? ???
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
More specifically:

Quote from: Larry Correia
Because you suck, and we hate you, but we know you’ll be back. We can beat you down like a trailer park wife, but you’ll come back, you always do.
Buy our stuff.

Can you imagine going on ARFcom and trying to explain to those fanboys they need to stop buying Glocks (or HK's or God help us all Colt AR's) because of support of the 2A. Most of those kids would  literally sell their own mother before they admit that their G-whatever isn't the cats meow.  The mere suggestion that their purchases should be based on politics that affect them instead of something realistic, like throwing the pistol from a moving airplane or shooting more rounds then they've ever seen without cleaning, would get you laughed out of that corner of the internet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:58:58 AM by dogmush »

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

So, they are willing to rile up the 100+ million gun owners over a market slice of 600k or so?

They may be willing to take the chance that many of the 100+ million gun owners are not members of forums and don't really follow this stuff at all.  If I visit a gun store, I can see that Glocks, Sigs, and S&Ws are still selling well, so there isn't really that much pressure on them to change. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
My impression is that Glock is in GA.  I don't know what that has to do with CO.  The legislation if passed would not exclude Magpul from manufacturing their products.  I think it is admirable that they are willing to at least threaten leaving the state if the legislation passes.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »
More specifically:

Can you imagine going on ARFcom and trying to explain to those fanboys they need to stop buying Glocks (or HK's or God help us all Colt AR's) because of support of the 2A. Most of those kids would  literally sell their own mother before they admit that their G-whatever isn't the cats meow.  The mere suggestion that their purchases should be based on politics that affect them instead of something realistic, like throwing the pistol from a moving airplane or shooting more rounds then they've ever seen without cleaning, would get you laughed out of that corner of the internet.

Meh, I'll put Colt into the neutral category, at least in terms of deeds equaling a lot of words. Colt carbines being in Walmarts counts for something with me. Kind of like S&W never really vocally diapering the Clinton-HUD deal, but instead getting into AR's and making the x-frame .500 and .460 revolvers. That was a message too...
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »
I was on arfcom for awhile, then when I moved I couldn't log on due to my email account was with my cable service and I couldn't remember my password.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »
Magpul Industries Corp. · 148,479 like this
21 minutes ago ·

We're hearing some rumors that the Gov and the Dem caucus think we are bluffing. Just to clarify for them, then...we're not a political company. We dont play political games. We've made our position very clear, very publicly. We would not survive lying to our customer base, nor would we ever consider it. If you pass this, we will leave, and you will own it. We've already got plans in place to get PMAG manufacturing moved rapidly, and the rest of the company will follow. We will make sure to at least have a small remain-behind operation through the 2014 elections so that we can remind folks why we are gone.

https://www.facebook.com/magpul/posts/561802137165473

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
That's good.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
Wow... I thought the gauntlet was supposed to hit the ground, not your opponent's face...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:02 AM »
Wow... I thought the gauntlet was supposed to hit the ground, not your opponent's face...

You have to hit them in the face with the gauntlet.  If you were to drop the gauntlet, these idiots wouldn't be able to see it with their noses stuck so high in the air.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
Sur! I say, I say Sur! I demand satisfaction! *thwack
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 08:07:26 AM »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
Magpul announced via Facebook that if the Colorado gun control legislation
(SHB 1224?) passes, they will leave Colorado.
I wish more manufacturers would grow a set and leave gun unfriendly states behind.

Part of it would be that House Bill 1224 would also make their business more unprofitable, as it comes with extra restrictions. Good call for leaving, though. Any firearms manufacturers that STAY in states that outlaws their products are idiots. It's not a good business decision.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/magpul?ref=stream  21 hours ago
We're hearing some rumors that the Gov and the Dem caucus think we are bluffing. Just to clarify for them, then...we're not a political company. We dont play political games. We've made our position very clear, very publicly. We would not survive lying to our customer base, nor would we ever consider it. If you pass this, we will leave, and you will own it. We've already got plans in place to get PMAG manufacturing moved rapidly, and the rest of the company will follow. We will make sure to at least have a small remain-behind operation through the 2014 elections so that we can remind folks why we are gone.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
I merged C&SD's thread into this one. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »
Magpul now belongs in the pantheon.  I can't afford a Barrett, but whatever Magpul makes will be my first choice from now on, forever.  More power to them, and those like them.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.