Author Topic: Cool Sun video  (Read 949 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Cool Sun video
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:30:59 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTbksd5-Rdg

Speculation that it's a "spaceship sucking fuel off the sun."   ;/

Looks like some sort of magnetic balloon phenomena detaching from the Sun, to me.  Not really a coronal mass ejection... more of a coronal vacuum ejection.  Weird.

7 o'clock position in the video.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Cool Sun video
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:49 AM »
CME -- Coronal Mass Ejection.    ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:08:03 PM »
It's a solar prominence caused by a twisted magnetic field loop. Happens fairly often.

Basically, different parts of the sun rotate at different rates. This causes the magnetic field lines to buckle and twist, causing coronal loops. When the streams cross, the loop breaks and you get a solar prominence. A really big one can cause solar flares and CMEs when the broken ends of the magnetic loop reconnect.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:18:24 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:18:30 PM by Regolith »

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
It's a solar prominence caused by a twisted magnetic field loop. Happens fairly often.

Basically, different parts of the sun rotate at different rates. This causes the magnetic field lines to buckle and twist, causing coronal loops. When the streams cross, the loop breaks and you get a solar prominence. A really big one can cause solar flares and CMEs when the broken ends of the magnetic loop reconnect.

You said that the first time.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Myself

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »

When the streams cross

OMG they crossed the streams.  Don't cross the streams.

My vote is for a solar Origonisim.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
The comments are... interesting.  There are some very cracked people out there.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
You said that the first time.

Weird...that was supposed to be an edit to the previous post, not a new post.  :facepalm:

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
On the "related videos" list:  "TRUTH!  The Earth does not revolve around the Sun ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jBK1ZV-qs

;/
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 04:13:34 PM »
While it is, indeed, a cool video of solar phenomena, I am extremely disappointed by the thread.

... I can't be the only one that read "Blue Sun video" rather than "Cool Sun video", right?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »
Just swamp gas from a weather balloon...   :police:
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »
On the "related videos" list:  "TRUTH!  The Earth does not revolve around the Sun ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jBK1ZV-qs

;/

Well, it's true, these are the convoluted spiral corkscrew paths the planets take if one removes himself to a frame of reference fixed on the center of the Galaxy. But so what?

He's making a mountain out of a semantic mole hill.  [tinfoil]

If you drive from Texas to Wisconsin, fairly due north, and the trip takes you roughly 24 hours, you drove in a straight line to the north on the map of the Earth, but it was actually a curved slanted line that spirals in if viewed from a stationary point (relative to the Earth's rotation) in space.

However, I have always thought this was the BIGGEST hole in any time-travel stories. I never watched the show, but there was some "7 Days" thing where the guy's pod popped out over the Earth one week away in it's orbit, and he had to re-enter and land at least. I'll give them props for that one.

Of course "Back to the Future" would have been over quick if Marty, Doc, and the DeLorean popped out into interstellar space, and they struggled for a few confused moments as they floated, froze, and asphyxiated.
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
If you drive from Texas Mississippi to Wisconsin, fairly due north

FTFY
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:08 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTbksd5-Rdg

Speculation that it's a "spaceship sucking fuel off the sun."   ;/

It was the Ancient ship, Destiny, from Stargate Universe! Yes, I really liked the show
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »
The comments are... interesting.  There are some very cracked people out there.

Brad

You mean "out here."  They walk among us.   :O
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »

cool, a solar tornado!   =D
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2