Author Topic: Montage of refusals to submit to DHS checkpoints  (Read 7761 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Montage of refusals to submit to DHS checkpoints
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
http://reason.com/blog/2013/02/26/enjoy-this-montage-of-people-refusing-to

Great montage of a guy not cooperating with DHS inspections not on the border.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Re: Montage of refusals to submit to DHS checkpoints
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:15:50 AM »
What is the deal with these things?  Are they voluntary or not?  What's the purpose?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:26:16 AM »
I really don't have a problem with the agricultural checkpoint.

I like that last guy that asked the Border Patrol agent if HE was a US citizen and asked for HIS ID.  :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:19 AM »
Oh man...   That was awesome...   I just loved seeing how they went into vaporlock as soon as someone questioned what authority they had...   Especially the guy at the agricultural checkpoint....  :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
And bob, I totally understand the reasoning behind the ag checkpoint....   But at the same time, the vaporlock was awesome....  :)

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:40 AM »
What's the purpose?

Ok. The purpose of this stop is an immigration checkpoint, sir, ok?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
What is the deal with these things?  Are they voluntary or not?  What's the purpose?

They are NOT voluntary at the US border crossings.  Elsewhere, I don't think Border Patrol really has authority to stop anyone without probable cause.
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:43:16 AM »
Right... *at* the border, I can see that...  But the first one, they were 30 or 50 miles north of the border (the agent said two different distances, kinda threw me off)...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »
If not at the border, I would cooperate just a little; tell them I'm a US citizen. I'm not ashamed of that.  I would not show them any ID though, they are not entitled to see it.

http://youtu.be/HOMueumw750  "What's YOUR business in Canada?"
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:36 AM »
Question:  Are the personnel that man these checkpoints sworn state or federal LEO?

At 13:44 someone who appears to be an officer gives a driver a "direct order" to move his car to the line 2.  In this case, does the driver legally have to comply?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 01:12:46 AM »
Question:  Are the personnel that man these checkpoints sworn state or federal LEO?

At 13:44 someone who appears to be an officer gives a driver a "direct order" to move his car to the line 2.  In this case, does the driver legally have to comply?

But was it a LAWFUL order?  (I don't know; I doubt it)
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 02:12:39 AM »
the ag guy was hilarious, clearly not used to this kind of thing.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 04:18:44 AM »
I wonder how many names were added to the no fly list?

One on hand it's kind of scary to see the JBT attitude on display like that, on the other it warms my heart to see a little civil disobedience in action.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:58:26 AM »
Right... *at* the border, I can see that...  But the first one, they were 30 or 50 miles north of the border (the agent said two different distances, kinda threw me off)...

Supposedly, the law is "within 100 miles of any point of entry" or something of that nature. So, 100 miles from any border or coastline, AND from any international airport... There are huge swathes of CONUS where it is supposedly legal for CBP to stop, interrogate, and search, based on that, including a lot of ground where you wouldn't imagine they WOULD have that authority.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »
Supposedly, the law is "within 100 miles of any point of entry" or something of that nature. So, 100 miles from any border or coastline, AND from any international airport... There are huge swathes of CONUS where it is supposedly legal for CBP to stop, interrogate, and search, based on that, including a lot of ground where you wouldn't imagine they WOULD have that authority.

But you don't have to make it easy for them.

Non compliance. Authorities only have as much Authority as the people grant them. If you hold them to a low standard and allow them to interrogate and conduct searches willy-nilly, you are just spoiling them and that's dangerous. Hold them to a higher standard.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »

Was that during the ag inspection? That was a CA Highway patrol officer. They usually keep a car at the ag checkpoints. I'm guessing the filmers complied there, because unlike the other segments, you didn't see them leave.

Interesting that a few people have said they understand the ag inspection and are not as bothered by it as the border inspection. I certainly understand the reasoning for keeping infected produce out, but going through ag stations bugs the hell out of me, much more so than just telling someone I'm a US citizen ("show me papers please" is a different argument).

When I go through the CA ag stations and they ask me where I'm coming from, I always just say from whatever the border state is, even if I've been through several others. Then I'm on my way.

If you want to see aggressive ag inspectors, visit Hawaii.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
I don't have a problem with the border checkpoints that aren't precisely on the border. But then again, I have some knowledge of what they've caught
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
I don't have a problem with the border checkpoints that aren't precisely on the border. But then again, I have some knowledge of what they've caught

And there it is.

Non-border checkpoints are OK because they sometimes catch some things that are bad, as I see it. 

I don't have a problem with registering firearms and owners because registration will catch some guys that shouldn't have guns, as I see it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
The right to travel using the common mode of conveyance is not a human right.

It is a conditional right bestowed upon us by our benevolent rulers.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
Interesting video.....I'd like to see them do the same thing with DUI checkpoints.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »

So do I. For every one terrorist caught, a thousand US citizens are harassed. Air Marshal program has resulted in more air marshals being arrested than terrorists. They average $200 million per arrest, not per conviction. TSA is not at $200 million per arrest, but they arrest a LOT more innocent people. AFAIK, they have never caught a terrorist. Yes, some bad people have entered the US with bad things and have been arrested.

Yes, it's tricky. We have to do a good job AT the border, and then their powers are very sharply limited. That's very very hard to do well. Few Americans have a problem with border protection. But we do NOT want the border to be everywhere.

The right to travel using the common mode of conveyance is not a human right.

It is a conditional right bestowed upon us by our benevolent rulers.

Right to travel is a human right. Because the Constitution grants no authority to restrict it, unless it's for a good reason and the folks restricting it are backed up with court papers.

There's no "right to drive yourself on public roads". You can, with the owner's permission travel on private land as much as you want, as far as you want. Feds have no cause to stop you from being a passenger being transported by private car or aircraft. They can only yank that person's license.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
Right to travel is a human right. Because the Constitution grants no authority to restrict it, unless it's for a good reason and the folks restricting it are backed up with court papers.

There's no "right to drive yourself on public roads". You can, with the owner's permission travel on private land as much as you want, as far as you want. Feds have no cause to stop you from being a passenger being transported by private car or aircraft. They can only yank that person's license.

I was speaking of the practical reality, illustrated using hyperbole of course :)

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »

statist!  er reality does that huh >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »
"Citizen of Montana"  :lol:

Then one could go into a long dissertation about not sure whether a US citizen or not since one can only buy a handgun in one's home state  =|   >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »
I've lived on two border states.

Never been harassed

Whatever.

The checkpoints I've seen weren't right on the border, but were fairly close
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog