Author Topic: Evidently DHS needs MRAPs  (Read 14904 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Evidently DHS needs MRAPs
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »
"We don't need military style things on our streets" was the quote, I think.  You can correct me but that is the jist of it.

Again, HSI's primary duty relates to support of CPB.

I , and many of the people on this board IIRC, have NEVER objected to military hardware being used for border security. In fact, many on this board have advocated more drastic measures than some armored trucks of questionable utility
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Sure, all this is true. I'd wager they'd still be usable along the border.

On a border where there has been a demonstrated threat of RPG's and anti-material rifles, they'd be an outstanding resource (but still expensive to maintain and operate). My eye-brow goes up though when I see them rolling along I-70 here in Denver. And I have.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »
As Fitz mentioned, EFP's are kinda a one-size-fits-all solution for armored threats.  ;)

Yeah, but you can stop an MRAP waaay easier then building an EFP.  

As to the above stuff, i'll just say this. We now have almost 13 years of PROOF that a small group of folks with rifles and improvised explosives can Eff up the best the US Army has to offer.

This.  I've said several times that the .gov would have to be suicidally stupid to let it go all Alliance v. Browncoats with several thousands of folk that have spent the last decade getting what amounts to a graduate degree in insurgency.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
On a border where there has been a demonstrated threat of RPG's and anti-material rifles, they'd be an outstanding resource (but still expensive to maintain and operate). My eye-brow goes up though when I see them rolling along I-70 here in Denver. And I have.

You saw CPB/HSI/DHS/WTFBBQ branded MRAPs rolling down i70 in denver?

Are you sure they weren't guard assets?

http://world.time.com/2012/10/25/mexicos-drug-lords-ramp-up-their-arsenals-with-rpgs/

I suppose when the first RPG or 50 cal rifle is shot at a texas rancher instead of just a regular gun, it'll be ok?

We're expressing outrage over an agency involved in border security (and nuke/infrastructure security) buying armored vehicles. Would it be better if the US military handled those missions?

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
You saw CPB/HSI/DHS/WTFBBQ branded MRAPs rolling down i70 in denver?

Are you sure they weren't guard assets?

DHS, solid tan, I-70 west-bound between I-25 and I-270. 4x4, similar to an RG-32.

ETA: Fitz, go back and read my previous post.  :P

Also, yes, I'd say the military would be appropriate on the Mexican border. We've done a better job securing the Afghanistan/Pakistan border than Border Patrol has ever done on the Mexican/American border.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:53:32 PM by kgbsquirrel »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
DHS, solid tan, I-70 west-bound between I-25 and I-270. 4x4, similar to an RG-32.

That's interesting.

I wonder what it was doing there.

I'll ask the HSI guys what kinds of missions their colorado assets have.

Will report back tomorrow
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
That's interesting.

I wonder what it was doing there.

I'll ask the HSI guys what kinds of missions their colorado assets have.

Will report back tomorrow

They could tell you... but then they'd have to kill you.   [tinfoil]

We'll know if Fitz gets told tomorrow or not.   :laugh:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

ETA: Fitz, go back and read my previous post.  :P

Also, yes, I'd say the military would be appropriate on the Mexican border. We've done a better job securing the Afghanistan/Pakistan border than Border Patrol has ever done on the Mexican/American border.

I agree, but then you'd have people complaining about a military with a domestic mission.

"Border" security doesn't just happen within the borders. HSI and ICE frequently take down human smuggling operations that have tendrils deep into america.

Anyways, apparently one of the SAC's is in denver. Think FBI field office, but for HSI/ICE. Here's a map.

http://www.ice.gov/contact/inv/#denver

Interestingly enough, it seems to be the only one that is smack dab in the middle of the country. I wonder if the pathways through the mountains/whatever make it an artery for stuff coming in somehow.

Anyways. I'll ask around. See what kind of stuff they do in CO
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
I agree, but then you'd have people complaining about a military with a domestic mission.

"Border" security doesn't just happen within the borders. HSI and ICE frequently take down human smuggling operations that have tendrils deep into america.

Intercepting a foreign enemy incursion onto U.S. soil is not a domestic mission, and is entirely appropriate for the military, and stating that they can not patrol the border and prevent/intercept unauthorized crossings due to the peregrine nature of smuggling is specious.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:10:08 PM by kgbsquirrel »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »
Intercepting an external enemy incursion onto U.S. soil is not a domestic mission, and is entirely appropriate for the military, and stating that they can not patrol the border and prevent/intercept unauthorized crossings due to the peregrine nature of smuggling is specious.

I didn't precisely say that.

My point is that, when the US Army raided a house with indonesion human smugglers in it, people would be up in arms about military on US soil conducting operations.

So, you'd have to have the military doing the border part, and a civilian LE agency doing the internal stuff.

Of course, that would probably work fine, as interagency information sharing is fantastic.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
So, you'd have to have the military doing the border part, and a civilian LE agency doing the internal stuff.

Of course, that would probably work fine, as interagency information sharing is fantastic.

You may be forgetting that intel was my specialty during my stint. It would not be overly hard to park a few BP/FBI types in the S2 shops of who-ever is commanding the troops on the border, and also embedding some BP ride-alongs with the troops on patrol to do the intel gathering when they catch a group.

By the by, I personally would confine the military to a 12 mile (from the border, north) operational corridor. Similar to territorial waters, but reversed and on land. The only time they could deviate from this corridor would be in active pursuit of folks illegally crossing.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »
You may be forgetting that intel was my specialty during my stint. It would not be overly hard to park a few BP/FBI types in the S2 shops of who-ever is commanding the troops on the border, and also embedding some BP ride-alongs with the troops on patrol to do the intel gathering when they catch a group.

By the by, I personally would confine the military to a 12 mile (from the border, north) operational corridor. Similar to territorial waters, but reversed and on land. The only time they could deviate from this corridor would be in active pursuit of folks illegally crossing.

Sure, it wouldn't be hard.

Assuming that US LE agencies, and the military, were anything other than a flusterlcuck at all levels.

In order for your (by the way, EXCELLENT) plan to work, it would require a complete dismantling and rebuilding of the organizational structure of CPB/ICE/DHS/ZOMGWTFBBQ

Which would be a good thing, sure.

None of what you have said is false. However, that's NOT the situation we have, and it's not the situation we'll get.

So, in the meantime, again... I see very little malice in HSI having armored vehicles.

EDIT: I'm sorry... I'm not articulating myself well.

Here's a summary

FACT: kgbsquirrel's plan would be awesome. Especially if coupled with a pullout from everywhere else.

- We don't have that, and won't anytime soon.

- There are some situations in which armored vehicles are applicable/useful in CPB/ICE/HSI missions

- They probably got these mraps for st00pid cheapz

- Hence any limitations or ill-suitedness of the platform is likely outweighed by the cost savings.

Another thought. If the evil DHS (and that's not sarcastic... While I think there's plenty of folks in sub agencies who do valuable work, it's a *expletive deleted*it organization as a whole) wanted to wage war on the citizenry, I don't think they'd do it with 50 MRAPs per state (assuming the number is accurate. I'm not convinced that it is.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:23:08 PM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »
Let me start with I really don't think there's an evil plot to arm up our police forces to supress the citizenry and install tyranny.  If there was we would know because there's no way the fed.gov could keep that a secret.

So now we know; it's not a secret  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
2700 of these things comes out to about 54 units per State.

Why does DHS need 50 tanks per State in the Union?

sounds like the perfect vehicle to run with the blackhawk live fire exercises!    [tinfoil]
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
sounds like the perfect vehicle to run with the blackhawk live fire exercises!    [tinfoil]

Yeah, no kidding.  Billions of rounds of ammo, machine gun fire from helicopters in urban areas, drones for domestic use intended to spot people armed with rifles, and MRAPs.

Then fitz tells us:

Quote from: fitz
Move along, move along!  Nothing to see here.

I'm all warm and fuzzy in my Obamacare-provided fleece-lined straight jacket. ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »
I just think there's better uses of your outrage.

Still can't find a source on that 2700 number
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »
Is this a new rumor of armored vehicles.  Seems i remember an earlier story of a couple of thousand light vehicles similar to a BMP complete with spiffy DHS paint job and department seal.  Seems this rumor had gun ports running down the side.

I think the rumor's author took an oldie and combined it with a picture of an MRAP.  The only idiocy we haven't heard yet is the MRAP have manacles on the wall and a guillotine in the back.

Idiocy at is finest! 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Well i see no "special antennas" on the MRAP's in the states................................. 

So the same "tools" used in Iraq ,would work in the USA . 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
Several years ago, the BATF got their pee-pee smacked for assembling an air wing of 22 surplus USMC OV-10 Broncos.

The State Department owns them now, and they deploy out of Patrick AFB, spraying South American cocaine fields with Round Up.   
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
Several years ago, the BATF got their pee-pee smacked for assembling an air wing of 22 surplus USMC OV-10 Broncos.

The State Department owns them now, and they deploy out of Patrick AFB, spraying South American cocaine fields with Round Up.   
Monsanto is missing a big market for Roundup Ready products ...

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
Another thought. If the evil DHS (and that's not sarcastic... While I think there's plenty of folks in sub agencies who do valuable work, it's a *expletive deleted* organization as a whole) wanted to wage war on the citizenry, I don't think they'd do it with 50 MRAPs per state (assuming the number is accurate. I'm not convinced that it is.)

It might be some DHS idiot thinking, "I got a stoopid cheap deal on some major awesomze gear", to 'wage war on the citizenry' as you put it, not realizing the seriously limited utility of the things for that purpose.  Stupid compounding stupid in this instance.
Most of the folks in DHS are probably stand-up decent types, but odds favor there being a handful clowns in the agency that think that way.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
Back when I was a prosecutor, I did advisor work for the county SWAT team.  Every year, they would get an invite to a nearby military faciliity where they drew a number,, and wen that number xame up, they went into a warehouse with a number of tags.  Inside the warehouse was thousands of items that DOD had declared surplus, and law enforcement got first dibs on some items.  It really was all I could do one year to stop the guys from tagging a UH-1 helocopter, much less two of the six that were up for grabs. 

It's hard to say no to coll stuff,, especially if it's free.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 12:35:48 AM »
Was it DEA or ATF that ended up with a bunch of OV-10 Bronco's sometime in the 90's?  Seemed like light counter insurgency aircraft were a bit outside the mission parameters... unless they sent them south somewhere.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »
^^^ What Chris describes is how my county Sheriff department got their UH-1 helicopter. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
Back when I was a prosecutor, I did advisor work for the county SWAT team.  Every year, they would get an invite to a nearby military faciliity where they drew a number,, and wen that number xame up, they went into a warehouse with a number of tags.  Inside the warehouse was thousands of items that DOD had declared surplus, and law enforcement got first dibs on some items.  It really was all I could do one year to stop the guys from tagging a UH-1 helocopter, much less two of the six that were up for grabs. 

It's hard to say no to coll stuff,, especially if it's free.

I wonder what restrictions there are on reselling the stuff once it's in their possession. If it was legal, an enterprising police department could basically become self-funding by reselling milsurp and any other "surplus" equipment they don't need anymore.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.