Author Topic: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains  (Read 16587 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:08:39 PM »
It appears TSA is going to relax policy to allow "small" knives as carry-on, and now flight attendant unions are complaining it will make flying more dangerous.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/05/tsa-allows-knives-on-board/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
That's not a knife. ;/

I can't even come up with a suitable pejorative for it.

Less than 1/2 inch wide, less than 2.4 inches long, no locking capability, no contoured grip.

Most knives that fit this description don't even deserve the label.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
Impossible. nothing the DHS does, or the TSA, has any common sense.

This is a fabricated story to distract from the impending TSA war on america
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
That's not a knife. ;/

I can't even come up with a suitable pejorative for it.

Less than 1/2 inch wide, less than 2.4 inches long, no locking capability, no contoured grip.

Most knives that fit this description don't even deserve the label.

A swiss army knife is not a knife?
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »
Them teeny/tiny SAKs that fit this description are a greater danger to the user than the package you're trying to open or material you're trying to cut.

About the only thing that fits these rules are the touristy chinese-made souvenir SAK knockoffs with some sort of locale-related image or logo on the butt end of the handle.  Blade is about 1/4 inch tall and less than 2 inches long, with a weak spring to hold it in place that collapses if you breathe on it funny.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
TSA to start allowing pocket knives again
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
blades can't be lockers, and the blade must be 2.36 inches or less.
I believe the start date is 4/22/12.
Just ordered a set of Spyderco slipjoints.  Close outs, on sale.  Sweet

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=709

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: TSA to start allowing pocket knives again
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
blades can't be lockers, and the blade must be 2.36 inches or less.
I believe the start date is 4/22/12.
Just ordered a set of Spyderco slipjoints.  Close outs, on sale.  Sweet

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=709

Not legal.

Cannot be contoured grip.

Cannot be taller than 1/2 inch.

Cannot be a locker.
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
AZ - the point is that they moved in the right direction and relaxed the rules. No, you can't carry your combat folder, but it's a start in the right direction over "zero tolerance".

The sad part of the story is the objection by the union. We have had Patriot Act stuff so long now that some people are coming of age into it and thinking it's all "normal", never knowing or forgetting that there once was a time when carrying a pocket knife on a plane was absolutely common.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
AZ - the point is that they moved in the right direction and relaxed the rules. No, you can't carry your combat folder, but it's a start in the right direction over "zero tolerance".

The sad part of the story is the objection by the union. We have had Patriot Act stuff so long now that some people are coming of age into it and thinking it's all "normal", never knowing or forgetting that there once was a time when carrying a pocket knife on a plane was absolutely common.

Silence. Distraction/TSA war.

Repeat after me.

TSA

WAR

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
Dupe topics merged.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »
Bawls to a "combat folder."

I just want my fracking multitool.  I can't count how often I use that thing in a day.

But, the blade "locks."  And it's probably 0.1 or 0.2 inches too big in both dimensions.  And the stoopid grip on the Skeletool would be interpreted by a TSA goon as "contoured," mostly because he wants to put it in lost and found for the rest of the day and then take it home himself.

Damn skippy, TSA WAR.  I won't allow them to partake in my travel related commerce.  Eff them in the Aye.
--Lysander Spooner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
I think people should be encouraged to urinate or vomit on hijackers.  It is a good defense according to Colorado legislators.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
Bawls to a "combat folder."

I just want my fracking multitool.  I can't count how often I use that thing in a day.

But, the blade "locks."  And it's probably 0.1 or 0.2 inches too big in both dimensions.  And the stoopid grip on the Skeletool would be interpreted by a TSA goon as "contoured," mostly because he wants to put it in lost and found for the rest of the day and then take it home himself.

Damn skippy, TSA WAR.  I won't allow them to partake in my travel related commerce.  Eff them in the Aye.

Cool

You've made your point.

Now, kindly explain why relaxing the insane TSA rules is anything but a good thing?

At this point, the TSA could publically advocate for concealed carry, and I'm pretty sure folks like you would find a way to complain about it.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »
I think people should be encouraged to urinate or vomit on hijackers TSA employees.  It is a good defense according to Colorado legislators.

Too good to pass up.

I'll have to check when I get home but I think my Classic Leatherman fits under this.  I'm sure my OG Gerber multi-tool does.  So Yea! for progress.

Just for Shits and Grins, I have an EOD multi tool that has a blasting cap crimper on it.  I think that it fits under this size.  would be LULZ to take on an airplane.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »

At this point, the TSA could publically advocate for concealed carry, and I'm pretty sure folks like you would find a way to complain about it.

Mostly because they'd want to steal guns and holsters off people.  TSA logic would involve de-holstering and still going through nudoscopes, and things would magically disappear off the conveyor. ;/

TSA are thieving pervs.  Q.E.D.

Cool

You've made your point.

Now, kindly explain why relaxing the insane TSA rules is anything but a good thing?

If they all voluntarily quit and John Pistole committed ritual seppuku with a splintered pool queue (ideally from the arse-end), it'd be a good start.

They've already won and created their culture of hoplophobia and dependency.  I won't be a part of it.
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:42:32 PM »
Mostly because they'd want to steal guns and holsters off people.  TSA logic would involve de-holstering and still going through nudoscopes, and things would magically disappear off the conveyor. ;/

TSA are thieving pervs.  Q.E.D.

If they all voluntarily quit and John Pistole committed ritual seppuku with a splintered pool queue (ideally from the arse-end), it'd be a good start.

They've already won and created their culture of hoplophobia and dependency.  I won't be a part of it.

Herp Derp

Lemme guess... everyone who works for DHS is a statist ahole who wants to wage war on america, too, eh?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
Also.....TSA vs. Union.

Is this another of those sit back and pray for an asteroid times?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
Also.....TSA vs. Union.

This is the most deliciously entertaining part of it.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: TSA to start allowing pocket knives again
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
Not legal.

Cannot be contoured grip.

Cannot be taller than 1/2 inch.

Cannot be a locker.

I believe an Opinel 5 is the largest knife that fits that description.  (of course a No 6. is the smallest Opinel that I own)

Will have to look at some of the Case (etc) "toothpick" pattern knives.  I wouldn't really trust an Opinel without a lock ring.  Or I can try to carry my 6 and see if it goes under their radar.  It's a very nonthreatening knife and it looks smaller than it really is.

"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
What do they mean by "molded" handles?  Does that mean only slab sided such as those tiny SAKs?

Is this molded?

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »

Don't forget his abject apology to all of America.  Other than that, I am with you.

Also.....TSA vs. Union.

Indeed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
For years, I've packed a good knife in a hidden pocket of my toiletries kit in my checked bag.  Get my bag, retrieve the knife in the nearest restroom, and I'm good to go.  At least now I don't have to dismantle my keychain to fly.  I keep a Victorinox mini SAK on my keys.  Use the scissors and nail file more that the two blades, but at least I could cut something like a hangnail waiting for a flight.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:22 PM »
Honestly?

I fly with guns more often then not now.

If I have to check a bag just to get my damn multi-tool in, I might as well throw the Sig and a couple mags in.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »
So, are box cutters legal now?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge