Author Topic: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains  (Read 16590 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »
So, are box cutters legal now?

According to what I read, they are specifically not. They are the AR-15s of the sky. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bscl

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
See this brochure for additional details:  http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/tsa_permitted_items_update.pdf

So which sounds better - a pen knife or a 23" "novelty" bat?  Or a cue stick?
Life Member NRA, SAF

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »
According to what I read, they are specifically not. They are the AR-15s of the sky. :)

I wonder about "shavettes".  (small straight razors with disposable blades)  And old-fashioned injector razors.
"It's good, though..."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »

:lol: Exactly what I thought!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
See this brochure for additional details:  http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf/tsa_permitted_items_update.pdf

So which sounds better - a pen knife or a 23" "novelty" bat?  Or a cue stick?

Titanium knitting needles.  =D Tradesmen are allowed tools, doesn't every IT tech keep a 12" screwdriver for tht one really big screw?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
Impossible. nothing the DHS does, or the TSA, has any common sense.

This is a fabricated story to distract from the impending TSA war on america

A story is told of a traveller bold
    Who, being in want of food,
Cut off and ate the tail of his hound,
Returned him the bone, and strangely found
    The brute had no gratitude!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
For years, I've packed a good knife in a hidden pocket of my toiletries kit in my checked bag.  Get my bag, retrieve the knife in the nearest restroom, and I'm good to go.  At least now I don't have to dismantle my keychain to fly.  I keep a Victorinox mini SAK on my keys.  Use the scissors and nail file more that the two blades, but at least I could cut something like a hangnail waiting for a flight.

Yeah, but now for the cost of two way baggage you can just buy a pretty good knife and then throw it away.

Have to get to some sort of store first, though...  =(

I finally decided that I just am not going to fly anymore.  But I was considering carrying an empty leather sheath in my carry-on and buying a knife in the housewares department of grocery store or walmart.

Funny how walmart keeps all their knives locked up in sporting goods but there are bigger meaner ones just hanging on display hooks in the kitchen aisle  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »
Cool

You've made your point.

Now, kindly explain why relaxing the insane TSA rules is anything but a good thing?

At this point, the TSA could publically advocate for concealed carry, and I'm pretty sure folks like you would find a way to complain about it.

A rapist wearing a condom is technically a good thing. But the rapist still needs to be put behind bars.

It's the TSA. They are not evil. I think they're expensive, incompetent and inefficient. Ask any fed law enforcement at DHS if they'd be happy with a random TSA employee being put on their team. Watch their face, not what they say. Yes, they are being less incompetent with this new rule. Browsing the rule list, they're still being incompetent. Just not totally incompetent.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
K-Bar TDI "Last Ditch."  Best $15 you will ever spend.

Meanwhile, I am working out with my golf clubs and hockey sticks.  :)
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
A rapist wearing a condom is technically a good thing. But the rapist still needs to be put behind bars.

It's the TSA. They are not evil. I think they're expensive, incompetent and inefficient. Ask any fed law enforcement at DHS if they'd be happy with a random TSA employee being put on their team. Watch their face, not what they say. Yes, they are being less incompetent with this new rule. Browsing the rule list, they're still being incompetent. Just not totally incompetent.

Gotta disagree with you on that. "Just following orders" is never an excuse, and sexually assaulting folks for having the temerity to want to board a plane is pretty clearly evil to me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »
Classic Leatherman is <1/2" x 2.5" and non-locking...

Until you grind it down to 6 cm

You can order replacement blades as I recall and the tip on this one was wonky regardless.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:47:47 PM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
At the least, once you get someone admitting that some arbitrary length is okay, they assume the burden for explaining why another 1/4" really matters.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
Gotta disagree with you on that. "Just following orders" is never an excuse, and sexually assaulting folks for having the temerity to want to board a plane is pretty clearly evil to me.

This. Violating people's rights for ephemeral feeling of safety is pretty *expletive deleted*ing evil, even if the people doing it are too dumb to know or simply don't care that what they're doing is wrong.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »
Funny, fixed blades seems to be OK over here. Just says "no knives with blades longer than 6 cm". Also doesn't seem to mention anything about non-locking folders only. Also, nothing about "no wider than .5 inches" from edge to spine. Could possibly carry my Dragonfly 2, or a Böker Plus Gnome. Not the Mini-Grip though, which is funny, what with it having a less stabby point and all. But, I guess that .51 inch makes a huge difference there.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:37:07 AM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
This. Violating people's rights for ephemeral feeling of safety is pretty *expletive deleted* evil, even if the people doing it are too dumb to know or simply don't care that what they're doing is wrong.

As he said. Pure evil forcing a person to give up all privacy and dignity in order to have use of standard transportation. The TSA enforces dehumanizing treatment. EVIL.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
Many box cutters have molded handles now.

I was pleased with the announcement on first blush. But I don't have any SAKs that would fit into their definition.  Hence it is mostly symbolic.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »
give up all privacy and dignity

good one!!! [popcorn] ;/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
Oh come on now. Be reasonable. They are only taking some of your dignity. Surely you didn't need all of your dignity?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
After thoroughly reading through the rules over here, I spent some money on a small fixed blade neck knife =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
I'm no fan of the TSA... It's one of the biggest reasons I have driven to Detroit my past several trips instead of flying. That, and driving up here is cheaper for the government And I make a conscious effort to spend as little as possible on this project

Progress is progress

They still suck, but they suck a tiny bit less now, and that's a step in the right direction, even if it's small

Next I'd like to see all the body scanners go away

Especially since they don't seem to be effective
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
Well CSD, what privacy and dignity do they leave you after taking nude pictures and groping up into your "resistance"? There isn't much a stranger can do to further humiliate you other than perhaps introducing a foreign object up your rectum. And I'm not even discussing what a small child experiences getting rubbed down by a strange adult, or a parent having to watch this happen in front of them.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:16 PM »
Seriously, terrorist will never be able to bring down a jet with a knife of any size.  No pilot will ever open a cabin door to save a flight attendant again.  The only thing the tsa needs to worry about is firearms and bombs.  Passengers won't lay down like sheep again or at the very least, some will stand up.  They got us once, shame on them, if they get us twice shame on us.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »
Funny thing . I've flown with a pair of kids. Outa dulles and national. And never experienced a big deal. Though my definition of experienced is probably different than yours. Mine means actually being there . I don't count you tube vids and blogger reports as "experience". Ymmv. Maybe if you recounted your horriffic experiences it would help me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I