Author Topic: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains  (Read 16585 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
Seriously, terrorist will never be able to bring down a jet with a knife of any size.  No pilot will ever open a cabin door to save a flight attendant again.  The only thing the tsa needs to worry about is firearms and bombs.  Passengers won't lay down like sheep again or at the very least, some will stand up.  They got us once, shame on them, if they get us twice shame on us.

Yup . And no more truly unarmed passengers either.lots of tricks. And most important armament is tude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Re: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
Funny thing . I've flown with a pair of kids. Outa dulles and national. And never experienced a big deal. Though my definition of experienced is probably different than yours. Mine means actually being there . I don't count you tube vids and blogger reports as "experience". Ymmv. Maybe if you recounted your horriffic experiences it would help me.

I've never had any horrific experiences, but that doesn't mean they don't happen... there's documented proof of abuse.

I've ran into incompetence though. One in particular was funny after the fact, not so funny then.

I checked a firearm coming back from Detroit. Went to the counter, pointed to the "unloaded firearm" tags, and said "i need one of those, i have an unloaded firearm to check in my baggage."

She didn't know that i could do that. Insisted that I had to go talk to the TSA.

Nopenopenope.

"Ma'am, get your supervisor. I've done this several times, and it's simply a matter of filling out the tag, putting it in my luggage with the weapon"

So her solution at this point was to look over, and YELL ACROSS THE ROOM "HEY, SO AND SO, THIS GUY HAS A GUN"

Much to the terror of the other people in line, and much to my chagrin as the cops started moving quickly toward me.

Sigh.

Good news is, i'm pretty sure I got her fired.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »
Yup . And no more truly unarmed passengers either.lots of tricks. And most important armament is tude.

This is the truth. Say what you will about the war on terror, but the first victory in that war was in the skies over pennsylvania, when those passengers said "nope. Not happening."
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
Funny thing . I've flown with a pair of kids. Outa dulles and national. And never experienced a big deal. Though my definition of experienced is probably different than yours. Mine means actually being there . I don't count you tube vids and blogger reports as "experience". Ymmv. Maybe if you recounted your horriffic experiences it would help me.

OMG, you flew once and nothing bad happened?!?!!?!? Well, obviously there's no problem there then.

Also, just to be clear, are you claiming TSA doesn't grope people, or are you just cool with it happening?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
OMG, you flew once and nothing bad happened?!?!!?!? Well, obviously there's no problem there then.

Also, just to be clear, are you claiming TSA doesn't grope people, or are you just cool with it happening?

i'm not a frequent flyer like you but we've flown a couple dozen times since 911. first with one kid then 2. if you think you get groped by tsa i bet you were nervous in the gym showers too.

and the zomg nudie scopes? rofl
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 06:05:50 PM »

I checked a firearm coming back from Detroit. Went to the counter, pointed to the "unloaded firearm" tags, and said "i need one of those, i have an unloaded firearm to check in my baggage."

She didn't know that i could do that. Insisted that I had to go talk to the TSA.

how was tsa responsible for that?   
all the security is annoying at worst.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »

how was tsa responsible for that?   
all the security is annoying at worst.

I didn't say the TSA was responsible for that. I merely related an annoying experience that I had.

And again, just because you and I have not been abused, does not mean it hasn't happened.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »
i'm not a frequent flyer like you but we've flown a couple dozen times since 911. first with one kid then 2. if you think you get groped by tsa i bet you were nervous in the gym showers too.

and the zomg nudie scopes? rofl

You know what, no. You're not worth it. I know my scorn won't affect you, cause making people angry on the internet is your hobby, but for whatever it's worth please know that I have a complete and utter lack of respect for you. Thousands if not tens of thousands of folks get felt up by the TSA every day. The fact that either it hasn't happened to you, or that you're ok with being violated in that way are irrelevant. And try telling a sexual assault victim that what the TSA did to them wasn't invasive. You're big on first hand experience, so mock them to their face instead of hiding behind a keyboard like the pathetic coward you are.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »

You're saying it like being nervous in a gym shower is some kind of terrible sign of human corruption that invalidates any opinion you might have.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »

You know what, no. You're not worth it. I know my scorn won't affect you, cause making people angry on the internet is your hobby, but for whatever it's worth please know that I have a complete and utter lack of respect for you. Thousands if not tens of thousands of folks get felt up by the TSA every day. The fact that either it hasn't happened to you, or that you're ok with being violated in that way are irrelevant. And try telling a sexual assault victim that what the TSA did to them wasn't invasive. You're big on first hand experience, so mock them to their face instead of hiding behind a keyboard like the pathetic coward you are.

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/you-vs-tsa-how-to-choose-between-body-scanners-and-pat-downs.html?id=7307216

• friends
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:51 PM »
You're saying it like being nervous in a gym shower is some kind of terrible sign of human corruption that invalidates any opinion you might have.

or in real life i'm saying that the gym showers were way more invasive

• friends
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
I didn't say the TSA was responsible for that. I merely related an annoying experience that I had.

And again, just because you and I have not been abused, does not mean it hasn't happened.

and when it actually happens it needs to be dealt with   severely.

most of the zomg and bombast?  not so much

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: TSA Does Something Good, Flight Attendant Union Complains
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »
In this case I'm happy that I've never been in a school that used them.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:27 PM »
and when it actually happens it needs to be dealt with   severely.

most of the zomg and bombast?  not so much

And yet, when it does happen, it's not dealt with severely.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
And yet, when it does happen, it's not dealt with severely.

and part of the way that happens is that the ones that need to be slapped unconscious can hide their actions in the blizzard of "less serious/credible" complaints. in much the same way a bogus rape claim clouds the waters for a real one.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
Maybe if you recounted your horriffic experiences it would help me

I consider what the TSA does to every passenger on a daily basis horrific, at least based on the fantasy that this is a free country.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 07:37:13 PM »

Real life:  prior to 9-11 I could call in or order an e-ticket online, show up at the gate with 15 minutes to wheels-up, and board.  Security was cursory.  I carried a short [locking] pocket knife.  Everywhere.  Always.  They glanced at it, gave it back, and I was outta there.

Fake life:  post 9-11 I take my shoes off, often my belt, empty my pockets, blah, blah, blah, wade through molasses security, get dressed, carry on.  The process takes so much longer that I will drive if the total drive time is not more than an hour or two more than the flight. 

I drove to Vegas from Reno rather than fly because it was net-net less trouble than the long security lines, the drive was only a couple of hours longer than the drive-to-airport-park-stand-in-line-board-fly-disembark-rent-car-return-car-stand-in-line-board-fly-disembark-find-car-pay-for-parking-drive-home drill.  I was able to carry stuff with me that airlines frown on, travel at my own pace, in my own space.  Going down, I arrived two hours behind our team.  Going back, I got home a day later because I had "itinerary flexibility" and got to visit friends.

I have a friend who's become an expert at air travel.  He packs just so.  He wears loafers.  He optimizes his carry-on and checked bags.  It's an art form for him.

It seems to have escaped him that his one-hour flights are now two-hour flights.  He's pleased that he "suffers less" than the other travelers.  "Making the best" of things.  He has forgotten that it's costing him at least an hour at both ends, and often quite a bit more.

I, on the other hand, have arranged my life so that I fly almost never.  My vacations don't involve air travel.

Perhaps the whole "enhanced security" cost and the forfeiture of dignity are acceptable to some.  My observation is that it's more about a culture of quiet resentment among those who remember travel before anxiety became compulsory.

I haven't done any kind of thorough analysis, but prima facie what we're currently doing is costly and wasteful -- never mind degrading -- and I would wager that most of the members here could offer more viable alternatives.

Want to have some fun?  Put me in charge of airline security.  After the initial year of chaos, I'll bet I'd have a system that cost less, moved people faster, and (aside from the victims of my profiling) was more acceptable to the vast majority of travelers.

And if I fail in this endeavor, I will step down and we can appoint Fistful to the position.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
I don't see why I should have to alter my choice of clothes just to travel.   :mad:

Plus, back when I was still flying, I would often be going from below freezing weather to sixty degrees, and then back again.  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
 I drove from VA to central Florida this winter. "Why don't you just fly?" Oh, I dunno, come and go when I please, seein things that I may never see again, got there with all my stuff including guns, got nowhere near TSA trolls. I call that a win.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »
The lives of all airline passengers will now be in peril from teensy little non-locking blades.  Oh, the horrors.

Much more dangerous than a steel ball point pen driven into an eye or throat, a garrote made from a shoestring, a bludgeon made from a seatbelt extension, a nice hardwood cane.  Or, what is also currently allowed on planes, a pair of scissors with FOUR INCH blades and contoured handles.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2013, 12:48:57 AM »
Meanwhile today in bizarro world I rode a 737 with two large pocket knives, as much carry-on that I could carry on, cig lighters, god knows what else the TSA would hate. I love DOD travel.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »
So, are box cutters legal now?

Most box cutters have a locking blade.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »
  Or, what is also currently allowed on planes, a pair of scissors with FOUR INCH blades and contoured handles.
So DHS and TSA are forcing you into choosing scissors just like they recommend ehhhh? Very clever.

I fly as infrequently as possible.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
So DHS and TSA are forcing you into choosing scissors just like they recommend ehhhh? Very clever.

I fly as infrequently as possible.

What if I choose Rock  ???

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »

I had two negative experiences with TSA. One was a TSA guy intentionally feeling up a very attractive young lady, who was my buddy's fiance. My buddy was there, saw this and flipped out. Nearly led to a brawl. We probably would have curb stomped them, even without loading our rifles. Would have been epic. Except for the fact that we would have been thrown to the wolves. If a soldier sexually assaults someone, or it's even just alleged, it's friggin world news. If a TSA employee sexually assaults someone on tape, nothing.

The other was me explaining that I'd have the FBI arrest the entire lot of TSA employees if they tried stealing my laptop. TSA employees do not have TS clearances, last I heard. They wanted to search my government laptop for explosives. Outside of my presence. I showed them my orders (including "transporting classified material" part), government ID, blue carrier card, government paying for my flight, etc. I was carrying information regarding the pending invasion of Iraq. I didn't play tough guy. Just explained that they were trying to break the law, I'd legally have to report the breach of national security or *I* would go to jail. Got "randomly searched" a lot after that.

This is the truth. Say what you will about the war on terror, but the first victory in that war was in the skies over Pennsylvania, when those passengers said "nope. Not happening."

Last time insurgents tried invading my state, we basically said the same thing and crushed them. You'd think insurgents, rebels and/or terrorists would learn to avoid us. Seriously.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.