Author Topic: Badmouthing Mother Teresa  (Read 2132 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Badmouthing Mother Teresa
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/byabkpp

A new study by Canadian academics says Mother Teresa was a product of hype who housed the poor and sick in shoddy conditions, despite her access to a fortune.

The Times of India, reporting on the controversial essay, wrote that the authors asserted Mother Teresa saw beauty in the downtrodden's suffering and was far more willing to pray for them than provide practical medical care. Meanwhile, researchers say, the Vatican engaged in a PR ploy as it threw aside concerns about her suspicious financial dealings and contacts to forgo the five-year waiting period to beatify her.

One of the researchers, Serge Larivee of the University of Montreal's department of psychoeducation, told the school's website, “Given the parsimonious management of Mother Theresa's works, one may ask where the millions of dollars for the poorest of the poor have gone?”

The research paper claims that the celebrated nun had 517 missions in 100 countries at the time of her death, but that the majority of patients were not cared for properly and many were left to die, according to the university website.

*steps away and looks for large grounding rod*

This could be accurate info finally breaking through, but there is gonna be one heck of a snitstorm over this for a while.

As a bright note, there does not appear to be any allegations of child sexual abuse by M.T.

[popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Lee

• friend
Re: Badmouthing Mother Teresa
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
Indeed, the U of M paper even concedes that one of her legacies is the generation of humanitarians she inspired.

Isn't that about the best you can hope for, from any inspirational figure? Dig deep enough, and everyone is a fraud on some level. 
Financial fraud?  The poor getting the cash?  Ha ha ha ha.  The mafia based it's business model on the Catholic church.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
She ran beau coup hospices & such in MF-ing India and folks whine that she did not provide first-world care.  These are the same folks who would criticize Nike for opening a sweat shop in Bangladesh and paying them twice the average Bangladeshi wage, but not American  Garment Union rates. 

Oh, well. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
Do enough good for others and you can depend on the liberal media to castigate you.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 07:55:40 PM »
I wonder if God has a special hell for journalists who do hit pieces on saints?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:05 PM »
there is a most amusing story about the doj trying to recover some of the millions charles keating gave her
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
If she had been hanging out in Hollywood or Georgetown or the Upper East Side trying to get the rich and famous to give her money (and haranguing Republicans) instead of hanging out with the "Untouchables" in Calcutta, she wouldn't have this problem.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
It all makes perfect sense now.  I mean, look at the lavish lifestyle she led.  All of the expensive clothes and cars,, hanging with the rich and famous in Monaco, how could we all have missed it?
 ;/

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:22:28 AM »
The ultimate proof of the old maxim "no good deed ever goes unpunished."
Some Canadian Academics need to get a life..............
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50:31 AM »
I wonder if God has a special hell for journalists who do hit pieces on saints?

Christopher Hitchens was unable to be reached for comment.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:51 AM »
Christopher Hitchens was unable to be reached for comment.

If it were possible for any person to comment from beyond the grave, Hitchens would be the most likely to do so.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 02:10:05 AM »
This is not new.

Variosu misbehavior by Mother Theresa had been long documented. The Vatican of course ignores it... but then given all the other things they ignore about their clergy this isn't a surprise.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 02:43:44 AM »
Variosu...

Is that Italian or Latin?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
Well humans are humans, with all the good and the ugly. It's other people's fault for trying to make her into a "saint". No such thing in the real world. Grow up people.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
Well humans are humans, with all the good and the ugly. It's other people's fault for trying to make her into a "saint". No such thing in the real world. Grow up people.

I always thought of it as there are saints that walk among us.  They are humans, and as humans they have their faults and flaws.  But these flawed humans often do acts of such tremendous good that I am willing to set aside whatever bad they may have done and focus on the good.  At the same time, there are some people who commit acts so heinous that I cannot even consider any acts they did as being good, because the evil taints everything else they have done. 

Some say that makes me a bad magistrate, while others say it makes me a good one.  I guess I'm just another one of those flawed humans.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
I always thought of it as there are saints that walk among us.  They are humans, and as humans they have their faults and flaws.  But these flawed humans often do acts of such tremendous good that I am willing to set aside whatever bad they may have done and focus on the good.  At the same time, there are some people who commit acts so heinous that I cannot even consider any acts they did as being good, because the evil taints everything else they have done. 

Some say that makes me a bad magistrate, while others say it makes me a good one.  I guess I'm just another one of those flawed humans.

This ^^^^.

Even the RC Church-definition saints were sinners, first. 

I recall that fellow Spielberg made the movie of was a shifty, philandering oil slick of a man who was a failure both before and after WWII.  Who managed to save 100+ folks from the clutches of a totalitarian murder machine. Now, what is distinct about that man?  That he chased skirts and was a business failure? Or that other part?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton