Author Topic: What Liberals Need to Understand About "Gun Guys"  (Read 3947 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What Liberals Need to Understand About "Gun Guys"
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »
Article in The Atlantic by a liberal, gun-owning author about his experiences open and concealed carrying over an 18 month timespan. I don't completely agree, and in a few instances completely disagree with his points and his identification of "conservative" gun owners (most especially "gun guys" - completely leaving out female gun owners), but it was an interesting perspective to read.

Given it was The Atlantic, I also thought many of the comments were interesting and unexpected. There were a good number of self-identified liberals and/or Democrats" who said that the current gun control push has disaffected them and pushed them into being Independents.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/03/what-liberals-need-to-understand-about-gun-guys/273736/

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:51:37 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Re: What Liberals Need to Understand About "Gun Guys"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »

Tom Gresham had that guy on GunTalk last week.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:02:14 PM »
Yup, heard it, and I bought the book.  Now to find the time to read it. ;/

A lib who ... "likes" guns?   Color me skeptical.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »
Good quote at the end

but I am more attuned to the gun guy complaint -- "I am over-managed and I am under-respected as a citizen and a human being." I think the right has a point there. We need to stop fearing capable, empowered, independent-thinking individuals.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »
Some very good comments as to how the Democrats are alienating a lot of gun owners.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »
I find with a lot of gun owning liberals, not counting blue-collar union members, is that they're really just zeroing in on Libertarianism, just from the Left instead of the Right.

Identity politics, emoting over reasoning, and entrenched "our team vs. theirs" mentality keeps them from making the rest of the leap.
I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
These are precisely the kind of people the Democratic Party says it exists to serve. Over and over, people I met on my trip would say, "I don't get it. Democrats are the party of the working man. How can the Democrats do this?" They feel so alienated that they won't listen to the Democrats on climate change or health care or immigration or anything else. As a Democrat, it broke my heart to hear this over and over and over again. These are our guys. These are our people, and they hate us. We take this anti-gun position and we're giving these people away, and we're getting nothing in exchange. We are not making the country safer.

He was so close to the truth here, then he blew on past it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »

That was a good listen. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
He was so close to the truth here, then he blew on past it.

It's been a while since the people who run the Democratic Party were for the average working person in America.  Economic well-being arising from freedom is alien to their agenda. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 07:35:25 AM »
Well, the blanket use of the term "liberal" (or "conservative" for that matter) is teh stoopid. These labels are needlessly distracting and can't really capture everything a person is about. Describing people as pro-Freedom/Rights or pro-Statism would work better.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »
Well, the blanket use of the term "liberal" (or "conservative" for that matter) is teh stoopid. These labels are needlessly distracting and can't really capture everything a person is about. Describing people as pro-Freedom/Rights or pro-Statism would work better.

I thought the idea was that some people are in favor of some statist ideas and others in favor of other, usually non-overlapping fascist/statist ideas and thus, once you've figured out what their prefered statisms are you can more easily lump them in with the demorats or repukeagains.......

perhaps I overthunk the problem.............. :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero