Author Topic: Panhandlers making $ 300/day?  (Read 4017 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Panhandlers making $ 300/day?
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/15157611.html

Geez, if this was true, maybe I should get a cardboard sign and stand by the exit to Costco or something.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Panhandlers making $ 300/day?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »

Geez, if this was true, maybe I should get a cardboard sign and stand by the exit to Costco or something.

In New Orleans, slightly drunk, I tried to give a dude a dollar (I know, I know) and as his fingers closed around it I noticed it was actually a 10.  I felt like a chump for about 2 seconds until he started crying.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »

You need to let your hair grow  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »

Yeah its true. At some of the prime locations a panhandler can clear an astounding amount(and all tax free...)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
Article is from 2008.

I wonder if beggars are doing as well today.
"The slide rule is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
                     - Darth Calculus

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:01 PM »
Yup. I've mentioned it here before about a guy that used to panhandle near my office. Primo location and I watched a few times and saw him empty his coffee can of bills several times a day, and it wasn't all ones and coins.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
I was walking in downtown Grand Rapids one afternoon.  Guy in a wheelchair, grubby etc. with a sign asking for $.  He said do you have a dollar?  I said nope and walked by.  I really didn't have a dollar.  But I did have a few 20's in my pocket.  I crossed the street and just felt...well...strange.

So I turned around and walked back and said to the guy that the reason I didn't have a dollar as he had asked, was that I really didn't, but I do have a 20 and I gave it to him.  The look on his face was hard to describe.  He said thanks and spun his chair and wheeled it into the Starbucks which we were standing (yeah, he was sitting) in front of.    I must have stood there and laughed for a couple minutes.

Swmbo says "Why are you laughing?"  I said what had happened was one of those moments in life when everything just seems to come together just perfectly.  I have never spent a better 20 bucks in my life.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
One female panhandler in the Austin area was continuously 8 months pregnant for 2 solid years . . .  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »
One female panhandler in the Austin area was continuously 8 months pregnant for 2 solid years . . .  :O

The was a "disabled veteran" standing on street corners for about a year trying to get bus money to go to Oklahoma  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
Article is from 2008.

I wonder if beggars are doing as well today.

You are right!  And yet KOMO just posted it on their website and people are making comments on it.  I wonder if it is a date error or what.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
Here in Key West, they banned panhandling a couple years ago.  So a panhandler hired an attorney and sued the city because he said they were violating his 1A rights to free speech.  The court concurred.  The City of Key West now has two official panhandling sites as ordered by the court. :laugh:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
I was walking in downtown Grand Rapids one afternoon.  Guy in a wheelchair, grubby etc. with a sign asking for $.  He said do you have a dollar?  I said nope and walked by.  I really didn't have a dollar.  But I did have a few 20's in my pocket.  I crossed the street and just felt...well...strange.

So I turned around and walked back and said to the guy that the reason I didn't have a dollar as he had asked, was that I really didn't, but I do have a 20 and I gave it to him.  The look on his face was hard to describe.  He said thanks and spun his chair and wheeled it into the Starbucks which we were standing (yeah, he was sitting) in front of.    I must have stood there and laughed for a couple minutes.

Swmbo says "Why are you laughing?"  I said what had happened was one of those moments in life when everything just seems to come together just perfectly.  I have never spent a better 20 bucks in my life.

I know the ... strange... feeling you're talking about and I've been bit by it a few times as well.  Compelled by conscientious hindsight to be charitable in spite of your first assessment of the situation.  But I'm confused by your ending of your story, gramps. 

How was it the best $20 you spent?  Realization that the guy was full of bovine excrement as he got a $6 coffee with that $20 bill, or satisfaction at doing someone in need a solid?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
I'm usually a sucker for panhandlers...and probably because it does make me feel good. Considering that most of my "genuine" donations likely pay some fat-cat a six or seven figure salary...I feel less ripped off.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:54 PM »
But I'm confused by your ending of your story, gramps. 

I can help.  It may be a foreign concept, but Google:

"Milk of Human Kindness"

You're welcome.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »
I know the ... strange... feeling you're talking about and I've been bit by it a few times as well.  Compelled by conscientious hindsight to be charitable in spite of your first assessment of the situation.  But I'm confused by your ending of your story, gramps. 

How was it the best $20 you spent?  Realization that the guy was full of bovine excrement as he got a $6 coffee with that $20 bill, or satisfaction at doing someone in need a solid?

Hard to explain.  It just struck me that the wheelchair guy got an unexpected finish to his attempt to beg for a buck.  That he impulsively went into Starbucks and did something he never had done before, that most of us might consider no big deal and consider so normal as to be ubiquitous made me laugh with genuine pleasure.  I have no idea what was going through his mind, or if he was a scammer or whatever.  I'd like to think what happened was a surprise to both of us.   Ehh, you had to be there. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
Grampster, I probably would've done the same thing.

Watching him become king for a day, if just at Starbucks.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »
I have given a few bucks and seen the recipient go immediately into the nearest fast food place.

I have offered to go in with them to pick up the tab and been nearly spit upon.

YMMV
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »
I have given a few bucks and seen the recipient go immediately into the nearest fast food place.

I have offered to go in with them to pick up the tab and been nearly spit upon.

YMMV

Yup. A few years ago the scam at gas stations for a while around here was "Can you give me a couple of bucks for gas?" When i would tell someone to bring their car up to the pump, or a gas can, and that I would put some gas in for them, they'd go bother someone else.

I refuse to give money to bums that they will simply use to further hurt themselves. I give a bunch of money to the Salvation Army every year specifically to help people that are down on their luck. Not just for food and shelter, but to help them "learn to fish" as it were. My general response to panhandlers asking me for money is to tell them to go to the Salvation Army for three hots and a cot on me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »
I refuse to give money to bums that they will simply use to further hurt themselves. I give a bunch of money to the Salvation Army every year specifically to help people that are down on their luck.

Hyup.  I refuse to give to bums, period.  I run them off rather aggressively, actually.

I also dropped about five grand in charitable donations last year and volunteer for charities running workfare programs for people who are truly turning it around.  Bums take from those who have real needs or are truly making themselves better.  I have no patience for that.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
I have always had mixed emotions about beggars and bums.  As a kid they were the boogieman.  We lived near a large Pierre Marquette train yard and a huge wood processor.  Logs were piled into huge pyramids and many trains passed through the yards.  This was in the late 40's and 50's.  Lots of hobos and bums around as they camped by the log pyramids and along the nearby creek and river.  Our kid lives revolved around the woods, log piles, trains, creek and river so the bums were part of our learning to take care of ourselves.

Anywho, sometimes one never knows why someone does what he does.  I also subscribe to the Christian biblical counsel that we may sometimes be in the presence of angels.  I have had experiences to make me less than likely to doubt that counsel.  I manage to sometimes do things that might defy common sense with respect to alleged bums.  But I feel this way:  If I give someone something because it seems that I should, what that person does with it is on him not me.  If he says he needs money for food and I give him some money and he buys drugs or whatever other than food, the ramification of his choice is on him, not me.  I do not mean this in the sense that I give someone I know who is a drunk or druggie cash.  That makes me an enabler as I probably know what he'll do with it.  I am talking about giving to a stranger.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »
After a local newspaper series "exposed" several professional schnorers http://rolandsramblings.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/ywotd-yiddish-word-of-the-day-schnorrer-aka-shnorrer-aka-schnorer-aka-shnorer/ who always seemed to disappear from their regular spots when the cold weather settled in.  (This was back in the 1990s)  Vacations to Florida, Arizona, New Mexico.  One went to the south of France!

Ever since then I have offered to buy panhandlers a meal, or even (heaven forfend!) offered an actual job in response to the sign declaring them to be unemployed.  99% of the time I am met with either hostility or disdain.  I had one guy tell me he could not afford to leave his corner to go to the Chicken & Waffle place across the street because he would lose many times the price of the meal I was offering to buy him.  Half an hour later I saw some college kid bringing him a Chicken & Waffle meal, which he nibbled on out of the bag so drivers would not see where he got his take-out food from.

Most of the professional panhandlers around town live in motels - at rates that would cover apartment rent, utilities and most of a food budget for a month.  Apparently, apartments are generally located too far from prime panhandling locations, and besides, they can obviously afford the cost!

What I'd love to find out is how many of them get SNAP (Food Stamps) and Medicaid based on being "low" income.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
Lots of panhandlers are also collecting SS and SS disability as well.