Author Topic: how to stop being tailgated on a bike  (Read 9427 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
how to stop being tailgated on a bike
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/awrwvmd

From here http://www.tailgunnerexhaust.com/

Wonder if I you could fit them to a minivan?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: how to stop being tailgated on a bike
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
Meh. Ranks right up there with spinning rims on cars. ;)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
Theres a dude in my motorcycle club who has that. His bike is painted OD green, with stars on it. He's also the road guard for large rides. He does VERY well at keeping cars out of our formation
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
Meh. Ranks right up there with spinning rims on cars. ;)

. . . and truck nuts.

I wonder how long before the gummint requires that the muzzles be painted orange.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
I prefer ball bearings tossed over my shoulder to make people back off, but hey, that is just me.  =D

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
I prefer ball bearings tossed over my shoulder to make people back off, but hey, that is just me.  =D

bob
Understand dislike for tailgaters . . . but this could escalate things to a point that won't do anyone any good . . . 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »

bob
As long as you are judicial in your application.  Tapping the brakes works sometimes, but I have had people do that when I had just pulled up and was backing off as well as when I was still 50 yards back.  Different people have different ideas about exactly what tailgating is.

That said, I like that tailgunner idea.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 03:15:57 AM »
Don't rocks have better plausible deny-ability? On the other hand they aren't that dense.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:27:20 AM »
Don't rocks have better plausible deny-ability? On the other hand they aren't that dense.

When I was young and foolisher I would carry a few metric nuts in a vest pocket. I'm riding a Harley, couldn't have come off my bike.
Now days I just slow down. They'll either go around or I'll pull over and let them have the road first chance I get.
I also still enjoy a bit of the Copenhagen while riding.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »
The last couple bikes I saw were riding above the speed limit and using the vastly superior maneuverability of the motorcycle's size to zip in and out of traffic.  Color me unsypmathetic if those guys are being scraped off the pavement one day.
Oh, and when I'm passing a Semi truck on the left, passing on the right on your harley and then changing lanes in my blindspot and giving me the finger? 
Too many idiots on motorcycles these days.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »

Fixed for ya.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
The last couple bikes I saw were riding above the speed limit and using the vastly superior maneuverability of the motorcycle's size to zip in and out of traffic.  Color me unsypmathetic if those guys are being scraped off the pavement one day.
Oh, and when I'm passing a Semi truck on the left, passing on the right on your harley and then changing lanes in my blindspot and giving me the finger? 

As a motorcyclist and MSF coach, I agree with this sentiment.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
The most dangerous thing I've seen motorcycle riders and sportcar drivers do is go so fast by traffic that you didn't have time to even register that they were coming up behind you.  

The most annoying thing I saw a group of 3 or 4 motorcycles people do (one had a tricycle) was turn on their left blinker when a passing opportunity (few and far between) came up to keep people from passing them.  I generally don't tail gate people unless I am actively trying to pass, but I have occasionally found myself tailgating very close when people actively try to be jerks on the road.  I think I ended up passing a couple of them and cutting back inbetween their group which got their little carravan all split up.  

Lots of jerks of all kinds on the roads sometimes, but I am always surprised when I see them behaving that way on small two-wheeled vehicles.  Thankfully, most people don't behave like that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
The most dangerous thing I've seen motorcycle riders and sportcar drivers do is go so fast by traffic that you didn't have time to even register that they were coming up behind you. 

The most annoying thing I saw a group of 3 or 4 motorcycles people do (one had a tricycle) was turn on their left blinker when a passing opportunity (few and far between) came up to keep people from passing them.  I generally don't tail gate people unless I am actively trying to pass, but I have occasionally found myself tailgating very close when people actively try to be jerks on the road.  I think I ended up passing a couple of them and cutting back inbetween their group which got their little carravan all split up.  

Lots of jerks of all kinds on the roads sometimes, but I am always surprised when I see them behaving that way on small two-wheeled vehicles.  Thankfully, most people don't behave like that.

In addition to the speed, is ignoring the blind spots of cars. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »

In addition to the speed, is ignoring the blind spots of cars. 

The thing that makes me mad is that I do not want to kill or maim a biker because of his stupidity.

I almost got one when I was about 17.  My mom bought a new pickup but the one she wanted was at a dealer about 100 miles away.  So one Saturday I rode with the salesman up to Boulder to pick it up, and drove his demo C-10 back to Colorado Springs following him in our new pickup.  We passed a slower vehicle on I-25 and I had my signal on and was just about to return to the right lane (allowing for safe following distance for the vehicle just passed) when I glimpsed the top of a helmet just outside the passenger door window of the pickup  :O

Apparently, the idiot couldn't wait a few seconds for me to get back over in the right lane.   ;/  At 70mph, even a little bump would have probably knocked him down and killed him, not to mention likely being run over by the vehicle we had just passed.   =(

You normally don't need to look over your shoulder after passing.  I was taught that you need to see the overtaken vehicle in your outside right mirror before returning to the right lane.  Hell, if you're driving a commercial truck or even a pickup with a camper you can't see anything behind except in your mirrors anyway  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »

I've seen that with snowmobiles.

Yes I was in my car.

That's Upstate NY for you.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »
The wife and I took the bike out for an afternoon ride today. Just over to a nearby lake. There's a little store that sells the coldest pop around, usually have to wait for the ice to melt in it. We rode over, got a pop, and went and sat and watched the lake for a while.

Coming back we were bucking a stif quartering cross wind and traffic was a little slow. I was following a little convertible and was a safe following distance  behind.  A flatbed 1 ton and a little car following him decided they had to pass us on a hilly, twisty section in a no passing zone. I had to downshift and ride the brakes pretty hard to get out of their way when they moved back over. The passenger in the car shot me the bird as they came back over. A few miles up the road at an intersection they were waiting to turn as I rolled passed and returned the salute.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
I always maneuver away from cars while on my bike.
Either by going fast enough to get away from the flock of cages or going slower.
So what if I zip through the cars? That's why I'm on the bike, If I want to be stuck in traffic I'll drive the car.
When I'm driving a car I could care less if I do not have time to notice the bike that passed me.
It happens all the time in places that have yr round motorcycle riders.
Tailgaters? Either in my car or bike If I cant move out of the way I slow down, heck I've even stopped.
The only time I usually get tailgated is if I'm in the fast lane, so I figure why not move over and let them pass when safe to do so..
Last week I made a rare trip to CA and was being tailgated by an idiot in a mall parking lot, I was going 10mph, ( with my hazard lights flashing)  looking for a drug store. The guy rushes up behind me and honks. I ignore. He gets right up behind me and turns on his brights, so I stop dead. He honks some more then has to back up so he can get around me. :rofl:
If you tailgate me, fine, be prepared to get stuck behind me.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »
Zipping by without folks noticin you is fine

Until they change lanes while you're doing it
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 04:59:12 AM »
Zipping by without folks noticin you is fine

Until they change lanes while you're doing it

This. Stupid behavior in a car has a good chance of being very expensive.

Stupid behavior on a motorcycle has a good chance of being FATAL.

If you're weaving in and out of traffic on your bike because you can't be bothered to wait, and have a close encounter with someone making a legal lane change because neither of you saw the other, THEY aren't the ones who are going to the hospital or morgue. Think about that the next time you (speaking generically, that is) get all smug about whipping past "cagers" without any concern for whether you're visible, maybe.

Best response to tailgaters is to come off the gas and be ready on the brakes, IMO. They WILL pull out and pass you, eventually. Unless you can activate your reverse lights without actually shifting into reverse, that was my favorite thing when I had a car that could do it. People tend to suddenly get religion about not tailgating you when you flash your backing lights at them.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
Since we are ranting about bad drivers...when Im trying to make a lane change and I put on my blinker, dont suddenly decide that you have to zoom up and cut me off instead of hanging back like youve been doing the past 10 minutes. *expletive deleted*ing aholes!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
This. Stupid behavior in a car has a good chance of being very expensive.

Stupid behavior on a motorcycle has a good chance of being FATAL.

If you're weaving in and out of traffic on your bike because you can't be bothered to wait, and have a close encounter with someone making a legal lane change because neither of you saw the other, THEY aren't the ones who are going to the hospital or morgue. Think about that the next time you (speaking generically, that is) get all smug about whipping past "cagers" without any concern for whether you're visible, maybe.

Best response to tailgaters is to come off the gas and be ready on the brakes, IMO. They WILL pull out and pass you, eventually. Unless you can activate your reverse lights without actually shifting into reverse, that was my favorite thing when I had a car that could do it. People tend to suddenly get religion about not tailgating you when you flash your backing lights at them.

Having the cars behind you, in this day of no signal lane changes, is safer.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
Best response to tailgaters is to come off the gas and be ready on the brakes, IMO. They WILL pull out and pass you, eventually.

I dunno ... I've actually pulled over on the shoulder and had people pull over behind me  :facepalm:

Passing seems to be a sport to some people.  A long straight stretch of highway with no oncoming traffic in sight is just no challenge.  Better wait until a curve or hill is coming up  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
If I can pass already, I wouldn't be tailgating.  I'd either back off or pass. 

I try to drive with that saying in mind "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".  I do forget at times though.   =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
Since we are ranting about bad drivers...when Im trying to make a lane change and I put on my blinker, dont suddenly decide that you have to zoom up and cut me off instead of hanging back like youve been doing the past 10 minutes. *expletive deleted* aholes!
What I see is the exact opposite.  I'll be closing the distance on cruise control in the left lane and that slow driver who has been following the 18 wheeler for 10 miles will wait until I am almost on him before deciding now is the time to attempt to pass the truck (without speeding up at all).  That happens so often I almost don't even get mad anymore, just a bit disgusted.