Author Topic: how to stop being tailgated on a bike  (Read 9429 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: how to stop being tailgated on a bike
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
Having the cars behind you, in this day of no signal lane changes, is safer.
I agree with that.  Hanging with the "herd" as most drivers seem to do is not really all that safe and IMO more uncomfortable. 

However, I generally push 9 to 10 above the speed limit.  When someone blows by me unseen going 25 or more over the speed limit, that is a bit fast and demands good defensive driving skills on the part of the fast driver/rider. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
2 wheels or 4, plenty of stupid to go around.

What I see is the exact opposite.  I'll be closing the distance on cruise control in the left lane and that slow driver who has been following the 18 wheeler for 10 miles will wait until I am almost on him before deciding now is the time to attempt to pass the truck (without speeding up at all).  That happens so often I almost don't even get mad anymore, just a bit disgusted.  

Just got back for a car trip and had that happen a lot.

Since we are ranting about bad drivers...when Im trying to make a lane change and I put on my blinker, dont suddenly decide that you have to zoom up and cut me off instead of hanging back like youve been doing the past 10 minutes. *expletive deleted* aholes!

When I drove my 14YO truck by my own self, I just kept a-coming.  "Go ahead.  My truck is worth less than the deductible on your shiny new sphinctermobile."  Chowder heads always backed off, for some reason.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »
I dunno ... I've actually pulled over on the shoulder and had people pull over behind me  :facepalm:

Passing seems to be a sport to some people.  A long straight stretch of highway with no oncoming traffic in sight is just no challenge.  Better wait until a curve or hill is coming up  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
I think some people just won't or cant make a decision to pass or change lanes (or they are distracted).  To me, changing lanes is just part of driving.  I do it all the time with little thought about it beyond checking to make sure the way is clear.  I ride with people who will see a slow driver coming up for 60 seconds yet come right up behind them slowing down before even starting to look at changing lanes to go around them.  It bugs me because I would have changed lanes or planned to within moments of see the slower car ahead and never touched the brakes at all.  I hate slowing down if I don't have to.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
When I drove my 14YO truck by my own self, I just kept a-coming.  "Go ahead.  My truck is worth less than the deductible on your shiny new sphinctermobile."  Chowder heads always backed off, for some reason.

I just catch the turn signal as I turn the steering wheel so I do signal a lane change without giving any actual notice before doing it.  I thought Houston was notorious for getting cut off if you signaled a lane change too long, but I guess it happens everywhere. 

On the other side of that, I often see people driving slow behind other traffic turn on their blinker as I am coming up fast in the next lane as if I am suppposed to slam the breaks to let them in.  I appreciate the signal, but I ain't going to slow down for 'em.  Give it some gas if they want to get moving.  As long as they speed up, I don't mind them coming over in front of me.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 01:41:26 PM »
This. Stupid behavior in a car has a good chance of being very expensive.

Stupid behavior on a motorcycle has a good chance of being FATAL.

If you're weaving in and out of traffic on your bike because you can't be bothered to wait, and have a close encounter with someone making a legal lane change because neither of you saw the other, THEY aren't the ones who are going to the hospital or morgue. Think about that the next time you (speaking generically, that is) get all smug about whipping past "cagers" without any concern for whether you're visible, maybe.

Bovine excrement,  I've ridden like I do for a long, long time. As a motorcycle courier for over ten years I had an average of 1000 miles a week, all year long.
Just because you cant do it or that people you know cant do it or you've been told it cant be done I assure you I've done it quite safely for untold hundreds of thousands of miles.
Maybe you're thinking I'm talking about city driving? I'll agree that city driving is a lot more dangerous.
I'm talking about highway driving at highway speeds.
I prefer car drivers not know I'm there, as far as zipping through traffic? I do it but I'm not suggesting everyone do it, especially if it makes you nervous. People changing lanes are of no concern to me, the only time it has been a problem is when I'm driving like you guys think I should.  I've had people move into my lane without looking, and have been forced to lane split to get out of their way.   The people making the rules have little to no long term motorcycle experience.
Before the notion to change their lane enters the mind of the typical driver I am already gone or was never there to begin with.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Bovine excrement,  I've ridden like I do for a long, long time. As a motorcycle courier for over ten years I had an average of 1000 miles a week, all year long.
Just because you cant do it or that people you know cant do it or you've been told it cant be done I assure you I've done it quite safely for untold hundreds of thousands of miles.
Maybe you're thinking I'm talking about city driving? I'll agree that city driving is a lot more dangerous.
I'm talking about highway driving at highway speeds.
I prefer car drivers not know I'm there, as far as zipping through traffic? I do it but I'm not suggesting everyone do it, especially if it makes you nervous. People changing lanes are of no concern to me, the only time it has been a problem is when I'm driving like you guys think I should.  I've had people move into my lane without looking, and have been forced to lane split to get out of their way.   The people making the rules have little to no long term motorcycle experience.
Before the notion to change their lane enters the mind of the typical driver I am already gone or was never there to begin with.

Well, the typical motorcycle rider constantly complains because all the other drivers don't have eyes in the back of their heads.

Sounds like you're not one of them.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
The cars behind you are way harder to see than the ones in front. Has something to do with eye placement.
 And a bike is way more maneuverable than a car, and handles best under power. Far far safer to go a bit faster than traffic so the cars in front of you are the main ones to worry about, rather than the ones behind.
 Anytime there is someone on your ass, your evasive capability is tremendously reduced, and as action to swerve or brake will have them running you over.

No, I am not talking about running 30 over, doing wheelies splitting lanes with flip flops on-

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »
Well, the typical motorcycle rider constantly complains because all the other drivers don't have eyes in the back of their heads.

Sounds like you're not one of them.

You sure got that right, the typical mc rider is like the typical fudd that believes "them assault weapons need to be banned"
Like the fudd, he uses his gun a few times in warm weather and thinks this makes him an expert in the history of the concept of armed liberty. The typical mc rider rides maybe a couple times a month in warm weather for fun. He will not lose his job if he takes his time while riding.

My mc experience is high speed delivery of important legal documents and small packages of a time sensitive nature.
"Make it to the Sacramento Court House to time stamp this document today"  ... Only a pro can do that from San Francisco in an hour and a half, in the rain, on a motorcycle in heavy CA traffic.   Day after day after day for years and years.

Its counter intuitive but think of it like the gun argument, to those who don't know the "more guns more crime" argument makes sense.  The "we can't give college students guns" argument makes sense until you realize the older lady employee alone on campus is prevented from protecting herself because alarmist know that "drunk frat boys will kill someone".
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
You sure got that right, the typical mc rider is like the typical fudd that believes "them assault weapons need to be banned"
Like the fudd, he uses his gun a few times in warm weather and thinks this makes him an expert in the history of the concept of armed liberty. The typical mc rider rides maybe a couple times a month in warm weather for fun. He will not lose his job if he takes his time while riding.

My mc experience is high speed delivery of important legal documents and small packages of a time sensitive nature.
"Make it to the Sacramento Court House to time stamp this document today"  ... Only a pro can do that from San Francisco in an hour and a half, in the rain, on a motorcycle in heavy CA traffic.   Day after day after day for years and years.

Its counter intuitive but think of it like the gun argument, to those who don't know the "more guns more crime" argument makes sense.  The "we can't give college students guns" argument makes sense until you realize the older lady employee alone on campus is prevented from protecting herself because alarmist know that "drunk frat boys will kill someone".

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
 ;/

typical NY response.

edited to add
(from me of course)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:41:00 PM by gunsmith »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »
;/

typical NY response.

Them's fightin' words.

Perhaps Mr House failed to portray my feelings about your rant, which were basically "This guy sounds crazy at first but is making a lot of sense to me."
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »
Since we are ranting about bad drivers...when Im trying to make a lane change and I put on my blinker, dont suddenly decide that you have to zoom up and cut me off instead of hanging back like youve been doing the past 10 minutes. *expletive deleted* aholes!

You're driving a truck, ain't ya?  After you signal, just start slowing moving over without looking and they'll figure out they need to be somewhere else real quick.  This works especially well if you have a 4500 lb rust-bucket that looks uninsurable  >:D
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
Them's fightin' words.

Perhaps Mr House failed to portray my feelings about your rant, which were basically "This guy sounds crazy at first but is making a lot of sense to me."

Well, I am a new yorker after all, sorry! :facepalm:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Yeah, I really don't care how fast or crazy the bikers ride. 

Just don't blame me when you become pavement pizza  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
Well, I saw one motercycle driver this week that I really appreciated.

He (or she) was on a black bike with black leathers, but had a hot pink strip of fuzzy stuff on top of the helmet, like a roman helmet creast.

In addition too being silly and neato, they were *very* visable.

I don't care so much how you drive your bike, but I do like knowing that you are there, preferably before you pass me at high speed on a loud bike, so I don't get startled.

I didn't like the guy who was on a dull bike, wearing OD green and canvas, parked in the shade and not fully on the side of the road on a curve.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »
There was one guy last summer I just wanted to slap. He had one of these real loud straight pipe cruisers and he got into the blind spot of my truck. He stayed there all the way through a long ramp and a ways on the highway. I could hear him, but I couldn't tell where the hell he was, since he was invisible and the sound seemed to be coming from everywhere. Why he couldn't have dropped two feet back, I'll never know...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »
There was one guy last summer I just wanted to slap. He had one of these real loud straight pipe cruisers and he got into the blind spot of my truck. He stayed there all the way through a long ramp and a ways on the highway. I could hear him, but I couldn't tell where the hell he was, since he was invisible and the sound seemed to be coming from everywhere. Why he couldn't have dropped two feet back, I'll never know...

I see riders in someone's blind spot all the time, and just want to yell at them. I also see them sitting at stoplights with their hands on their laps, gazing off somewhere. I see all sorts of stupid riding.

I'd also rather be out in front of a bunch of cars than in the middle of the bunch or behind. I have a hard-mounted motor, so if the cars are going much over 75 mph, I'll stay well behind the pack (it's uncomfortable for long distance to have that vibration).

I've lane split before, but I'm not really experienced at it, and not entirely comfortable. I've had car drivers deliberately move out of their lanes to block me as I'm moving forward. Fortunately they didn't do so before I could stop.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
Do a little swing to the edge of the lane boundary and you will likely see him move.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
Well, I saw one motercycle driver this week that I really appreciated.

He (or she) was on a black bike with black leathers, but had a hot pink strip of fuzzy stuff on top of the helmet, like a roman helmet creast.

In addition too being silly and neato, they were *very* visable.
They actually make those out of rubber with lights inside, too.

I'd get one just to be silly, but it won't work on my helmet - I have a slider that works the sunshade right where such a crest would go.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
I see riders in someone's blind spot all the time, and just want to yell at them. I also see them sitting at stoplights with their hands on their laps, gazing off somewhere. I see all sorts of stupid riding.

I'd also rather be out in front of a bunch of cars than in the middle of the bunch or behind. I have a hard-mounted motor, so if the cars are going much over 75 mph, I'll stay well behind the pack (it's uncomfortable for long distance to have that vibration).

I've lane split before, but I'm not really experienced at it, and not entirely comfortable. I've had car drivers deliberately move out of their lanes to block me as I'm moving forward. Fortunately they didn't do so before I could stop.

Yeah, when I was a mc messenger in Florida people there really get bent out of shape if you lane split  and would try to block me.
I would exact revenge by getting in front of the car in front of them and decrease my speed to the minimum legal highway speed
 ( 40 mph )
I tried doing it in front of the offending driver but quickly found out that someone who would try to kill you by blocking your path while lane splitting will also try to kill you by running you over.

Blame you?? No sir! That's why we have Fistful for!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »

I will say I've had a lot less trouble out of the motorcyclists than the bicyclists. The motorcyclists tend to be normal guys. The bicyclists tend to be complete, utter aholes. Saw plenty of both at my old job.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
I don't care so much how you drive your bike, but I do like knowing that you are there, preferably before you pass me at high speed on a loud bike, so I don't get startled.

Part of this comes from the fact that there is a percentage of drivers that will cut off a bike just to cut off a bike. This has happened to me enough that when I pass a car, I do it quick enough they can't.

Oh, and hanging out in a blind spot is just dumb. So are straight pipes and flying through traffic.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
I almost ran a motorcycle off the road last week.  The guy was tooling along around 20 under the speed limit on a 2 lane highway.  I'm in my truck that is far from overpowered so passing opportunities are rare.  Finally after several miles I get one and punch it out into the opposing lane and just start to get past the bike when he decided he didn't want to be passed and started matching my speed.  When I slowed down he slowed down.  I could neither out accelerate or out brake him.  I piled on the brakes when oncoming traffic and swung back in behind him.  I should have just taken the dipshit out.  It takes a special kind of stupid to play chicken on a motorcycle against a beat up old full size pickup.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »

Part of this comes from the fact that there is a percentage of drivers that will cut off a bike someone just to cut off [/s] a bike [/s] someone. This has happened to me enough that when I pass a car, I do it quick enough they can't.

Oh, and hanging out in a blind spot is just dumb. So are straight pipes and flying through traffic.

FIFY

However, for those of us who don't cut off other drivers, it can be rather disturbing. :)
Unlike the rest of the posters on this thread, I don't claim to be the worlds best driver. In fact, I'm not a great driver. I save myself from acceidents by sticking much closer to the posted speed limit, being observaint and driving somewhat conservativly.
Me being startled on behind the wheel is not a good thing for anyone. ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
It takes a special kind of stupid to play chicken on a motorcycle against a beat up old full size pickup.

Especially when he's trying to force you to decide between plowing into oncoming traffic or just running his ass over.   :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth