Author Topic: how to stop being tailgated on a bike  (Read 9426 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: how to stop being tailgated on a bike
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
BSL, for every time I've been cut off in a car it's happened a hundred times on a bike, and I have a lot more miles on 4 wheels.

A wise old man on a motorcycle once told me not to worry about the people who don't see you on a bike, worry about the ones that do and use the advantages of the bike to be where they can't.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 12:26:41 AM »
I almost ran a motorcycle off the road last week.  The guy was tooling along around 20 under the speed limit on a 2 lane highway.  I'm in my truck that is far from overpowered so passing opportunities are rare.  Finally after several miles I get one and punch it out into the opposing lane and just start to get past the bike when he decided he didn't want to be passed and started matching my speed.  When I slowed down he slowed down.  I could neither out accelerate or out brake him.  I piled on the brakes when oncoming traffic and swung back in behind him.  I should have just taken the dipshit out.  It takes a special kind of stupid to play chicken on a motorcycle against a beat up old full size pickup.

What kind of bike was it?

I hate when people do that, I like to drive slow sometimes but either get out of the way or pull over if someone is getting stuck behind me.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
What kind of bike was it?

I hate when people do that, I like to drive slow sometimes but either get out of the way or pull over if someone is getting stuck behind me.

I'm not a motorcycle guy.  Best I can do is smaller than a goldwing sized monster but not a crotch rocket.

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
I quit riding about 8 years back.  There are too many idiots on the road and I spent most of the time all tensed up and decided it wasn't fun anymore.  Sold the bikes and drive a cage now.

Back in the day, we used marbles for tailgaters instead of nuts, ball-bearings or rocks.  Pull one out of your vest pocket and drop it by your leg.  No ones see you do it and the marble breaks nicely.  The car on your butt gets peppered with the fragments and almost always backs off.  Sometimes it did take two or three though...  :laugh:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
I quit riding about 8 years back.  There are too many idiots on the road and I spent most of the time all tensed up and decided it wasn't fun anymore.  Sold the bikes and drive a cage now.

Back in the day, we used marbles for tailgaters instead of nuts, ball-bearings or rocks.  Pull one out of your vest pocket and drop it by your leg.  No ones see you do it and the marble breaks nicely.  The car on your butt gets peppered with the fragments and almost always backs off.  Sometimes it did take two or three though...  :laugh:

Well, at least if you get caught you can plead insanity  ;)

You just lost your marbles  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin