Author Topic: Steven Seagal, lobbying on behalf of Izhmash  (Read 3352 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Steven Seagal, lobbying on behalf of Izhmash
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/03/19/steven-seagal-lobby-behalf-russian-gun-makers/

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin asked the American actor Steven Seagal for assistance in the abolition of the Russian-American agreement that restricts the supply of modern Russian small arms in the U.S.. Meeting with Seagal was held today at the Government House.

Now, I am not well-informed on the state of the film industry, but I understand that Seagal is a cinematic has-been.

On the other hand, I do believe that the fact Rogozin (the man overseeing Russia's arms industry) is concerned with this issue is a good thing for potential SVD buyers.

Thoughts ?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Steven Seagal, lobbying on behalf of Izhmash
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »

Well, anything that restricts cheap weapons or ammo from the US market is a bad thing. So, uhm, good for Steven Seagal?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »
Great concept, poor concept execution. I wouldn't want my sandwich order dependent on input from Seagal, much less my access to Russian hardware. And the way Seagal's been going lately, I might never see the sandwich...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Russia is having a bout of state love for foreign entertainers. Also, Rogozin's son(?) has interest in a rifle manufacturing company with great aspirations.  Something may come of this.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
Both Rogozins also shoot some kind of practical shooting sports. His son is a senior official in the Moscow Practical Shooting Federation, and the older Rogozin shoots regularly.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
Seems like there would be better choices: Selleck or Willis, maybe?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
Hey if the Russians like him...he can stay over there.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
Seems like there would be better choices: Selleck or Willis, maybe?

Or Eastwood.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Great concept, poor concept execution. I wouldn't want my sandwich order dependent on input from Seagal, much less my access to Russian hardware. And the way Seagal's been going lately, I might never see the sandwich...

+1  :)

It's time for a 400-lb. action hero.  If not Seagal, then Chris Christie.

Personally, I like Russki weapons, so let him try.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »
Or Eastwood.

Yeah, plus an extra chair  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/03/19/steven-seagal-lobby-behalf-russian-gun-makers/

Now, I am not well-informed on the state of the film industry, but I understand that Seagal is a cinematic has-been.

On the other hand, I do believe that the fact Rogozin (the man overseeing Russia's arms industry) is concerned with this issue is a good thing for potential SVD buyers.

Thoughts ?

"Has been" doesn't even come close. More like a C-list at best, "never was". Although I'm not talking about his martial arts/Akido cred, which pre-dates his film career, but that's not what anyone outside of those circles knows him for. And worse, he's kind of refused to "go quietly" with some rather laughable reality TV ventures, and downright painful straight-to-video movies.

You are right that it's good Rogozin is working on marketing and thinking about such things, but it's a sign of being culturally tone-deaf to pick Segal. Although I don't know how he plays in other markets like Europe. Perhaps he's "bigger" there in the way other low-level American stars who are considered to be kitschy and embarrassing, like David Hasselhoff.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34:47 PM »
Or Eastwood.

I can't see that. It would have to be iconic and American for him to get involved.

Charlie Sheen, on the other hand...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »

He'd be better suited to hawking Colombia's main export.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »

Micro... Is this REALLY what Izhmash has in mind?  =D
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »

Looks like Seagal's gonna be fed some polonium in the next few months.

Now, if Chuck Norris did that... can you imagine the battle that would be unleashed upon the world?  Putin vs. Norris.  Mountain ranges would be dislocated by the conflict.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 04:35:56 PM »
What about Angelina Jolie? I'm not sure about her political posture on guns ( guns for me but not for thee?), but she shoots.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 04:48:08 PM »
What about Angelina Jolie? I'm not sure about her political posture on guns ( guns for me but not for thee?), but she shoots.

Miranda Lambert  :lol:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
Miranda Lambert  :lol:

Well I'd die happy, but from her songs she appears pro-gun, just not for men who piss her off.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
I can't see that. It would have to be iconic and American for him to get involved.

Well hell, why don't they just get Mikhail to shill it over here. Can't really beat the whole "here's the gorram creator of this thing endorsing our product" factor. Bought damn time that guy got some money for his invention anyways.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
"Has been" doesn't even come close. More like a C-list at best, "never was". Although I'm not talking about his martial arts/Akido cred, which pre-dates his film career, but that's not what anyone outside of those circles knows him for. And worse, he's kind of refused to "go quietly" with some rather laughable reality TV ventures, and downright painful straight-to-video movies.

You are right that it's good Rogozin is working on marketing and thinking about such things, but it's a sign of being culturally tone-deaf to pick Segal. Although I don't know how he plays in other markets like Europe. Perhaps he's "bigger" there in the way other low-level American stars who are considered to be kitschy and embarrassing, like David Hasselhoff.

You'd be surprised how well Seagal used to draw abroad with his Aikido antics.  There's always a market for a big, fast guy who can clear a bar with a broken pool cue.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »
You'd be surprised how well Seagal used to draw abroad with his Aikido antics.  There's always a market for a big, fast guy who can clear a bar with a broken pool cue.

Public relations ;) 

=D