Author Topic: Killing Cottonwoods  (Read 5474 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Killing Cottonwoods
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
That work on junipers ?  =|

Round up or Tordon?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 11:05:09 PM »
That work on junipers ?  =|

Eastern Red Cedar is actually a juniper, so this article may help you.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2297&context=extensionhist

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »
Round up or Tordon?

Can't buy tordon without a license.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
Eastern Red Cedar is actually a juniper, so this article may help you.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2297&context=extensionhist

this species does not resprout

:facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »

How about Garlon?  http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/triclopyr-4e-herbicide-1-gallon-200.html

If you can't get full-strength Garlon, look for a chickweed or brush killer (like Ortho) with about 10% triclopyr, and use it undiluted.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
How about Garlon?  http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/triclopyr-4e-herbicide-1-gallon-200.html

If you can't get full-strength Garlon, look for a chickweed or brush killer (like Ortho) with about 10% triclopyr, and use it undiluted.

There's a commercial guy here in the neighborhood that will do work for locals for just the cost of materials.  He sprays big ranches all over the state, and road right of ways for several counties.

Last time I asked him, he said there wasn't much that worked good on juniper.  So you have to go out there and manually whack it again every few years.  If I catch it when it's still small, I can just do it with long handled chomper clippers.  I've got a stihl brush saw too but that thing is a pain also.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »

They sell it over the counter in Iowa. State regs in MT?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
They sell it over the counter in Iowa. State regs in MT?

Must be I guess  ???

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
Must be I guess  ???

Double checked with herbicide guy this morning, I said juniper and he said Tordon.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
Undiluted 2-4,D poured into a few holes drilled into the stump works.

We burn mostly cottonwood in our woodstove because that's what we have here.  Trees 12"-24" in diameter are actually pretty solid and split nicely if they are dry.  One or two good sized splits every hour or two keep the house warm on cold days.  Hardwood is rare here so I save my elm, ash and fruitwood for overnighters.  The 2002-03 drought killed probably 50 trees on our place, so I keep busy just cutting up the blown down dead ones.

We have two cottonwoods in the yard that are over 4' in diameter, and one behind the garage that is almost 8'.  We had one problem branch cut off the big one a few years ago that was 40" in diameter and 125 years old.