Author Topic: Authorities weasleing their way out of Dorner reward  (Read 5621 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Authorities weasleing their way out of Dorner reward
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »
Apparently, the reward money offered for information leading to Dorner's capture meant "captured alive"(always read the fine print!) ... and since the police agencies involved in the capture conveniently set him on fire, now no one has to pay.  =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7uIurf6msk
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Authorities weasleing their way out of Dorner reward
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
So far its 2 groups weasling. And all reward funds use the boiler plate "arrest and conviction". I never looked at the bin laden reward

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Authorities weasleing their way out of Dorner reward
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
if a municipality can get out of paying a reward if you end up dead............it's not going to end well for you it appears.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

• friends
Re: Re: Authorities weasleing their way out of Dorner reward
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:04:15 AM »
Timeline is he was already smoke and ashes when they approved reward

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:53:31 AM »
Probably good they don't pay out....they'll need the money to pay off the hellsacious lawsuit coming from the women they shot up & shafted on the truck....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
Probably good they don't pay out....they'll need the money to pay off the hellsacious lawsuit coming from the women they shot up & shafted on the truck....

What about the cabin they burned down...

Actually, between them and Dorner, quite a bit of private property got destroyed.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
Too bad they didn't use a drone, then the LAPD could cozy up to the State Department.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
What about the cabin they burned down...

Actually, between them and Dorner, quite a bit of private property got destroyed.

Yeah  :mad:  :mad:   :mad:

I suppose insurance doesn't cover that either  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
Yeah  :mad:  :mad:   :mad:

I suppose insurance doesn't cover that either  ???

most policys so long as it wasn't your criminal acts you are covered

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 03:38:02 AM »
But since police did it "during the course of official duties" it does not qualify as a criminal act, therefore it is not arson, so your arson insurance doesn't kick in? Accidental fire insurance? Won't qualify, as it was intentionally set...  :rofl:

Edited to add laughing smiley.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:46:09 AM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

csmkersh

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
And it looks like LAPD is not going to replace the pickup truck belonging to the two women the cops shoot up in their panic.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
And it looks like LAPD is not going to replace the pickup truck belonging to the two women the cops shoot up in their panic.

Release The LandSharks!

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
But since police did it "during the course of official duties" it does not qualify as a criminal act
That is one good thing about the suspect being dead, and the general police policy to try and blame all damages*, whomever cased it, on the criminals.

* This includes things like two police helicopters crashing into each other during a search for a suspect, and the police running over bystanders in a high speed chase.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »

or not
http://laist.com/2013/03/19/women_shot_by_lapd_given_check.php

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
Pretty ironic stuff, considering the supposed motivation of the shooter who started it all.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »
or not
http://laist.com/2013/03/19/women_shot_by_lapd_given_check.php

Yeah well, its very gracious of the police to give away other peoples' money.

In a just and sane society, the police involved in that shooting would be on trial for attempted murder.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 07:22:48 AM »
Yeah well, its very gracious of the police to give away other peoples' money.

In a just and sane society, the police involved in that shooting would be on trial for attempted murder.

We pay for them to do a job. We also pay for their incompetance when they screw up.
That's pretty standard, regardless of who's the boss.

The diffrence is, we can't fire them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 07:36:38 AM »
Wasn't there a story that the women shot have to pay taxes on the money they got from LAPD?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
Wasn't there a story that the women shot have to pay taxes on the money they got from LAPD?

Yeah; it's why they couldn't accept the actual pickup. They'd have to pay sales and/or income tax on it and couldn't afford it, so that's why they're getting a check instead.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
Yeah; it's why they couldn't accept the actual pickup. They'd have to pay sales and/or income tax on it and couldn't afford it, so that's why they're getting a check instead.

Sounds like it might have been structured by their lawyers - damages to compensate for physical injury aren't taxable; lost wages and property damage are.  The more cash of the settlement that is payment for injuries, the lower the overall tax liability.

It's insane, but it's actually possible to win large judgements and come out at a loss after taxes.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
We pay for them to do a job. We also pay for their incompetance when they screw up.
That's pretty standard, regardless of who's the boss.

The diffrence is, we can't fire them.

I find it absolutely disgusting that they can use the cover of "we were following orders." What was it, about 70 years ago that we hung people who used this excuse from another police state?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »
Officer safety: the assertion that a cop's feelings of insecurity outweigh human life.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
if a municipality can get out of paying a reward if you end up dead............it's not going to end well for you it appears.

Incentives matter.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »
That is one good thing about the suspect being dead, and the general police policy to try and blame all damages*, whomever cased it, on the criminals.

* This includes things like two police helicopters crashing into each other during a search for a suspect, and the police running over bystanders in a high speed chase.

Here in PHX about 5 years ago, there was a high speed chase being followed by NEWS helicopters, not police.  The news choppers crashed into each other and the DA charged (and CONVICTED!) the speeding/fleeing motorist with the deaths of the chopper pilots.

Srsly.  No joke.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
Here in PHX about 5 years ago, there was a high speed chase being followed by NEWS helicopters, not police.  The news choppers crashed into each other and the DA charged (and CONVICTED!) the speeding/fleeing motorist with the deaths of the chopper pilots.

The extremes of the felony murder rule.  If an attributed death occurs as a result of a felonious act, murder.  The rule stretches to absurdity as it exists as further hindrance to folks committing crimes.  Robbing a bank and you drop the gun, it goes off and the bullet kills someone- Murder.  The scary sound causes a heart attack and kills someone- Murder.  Due to the distraction of the robbery an unsupervised child eats some quarters in the corner, chokes and dies- Murder. 

Its all yet another reason why there aren't many criminal pessimists.  Those darn idiot optimists are the irrational ones we have to look out for.   :police:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.