Author Topic: Authorities weasleing their way out of Dorner reward  (Read 5623 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Authorities weasleing their way out of Dorner reward
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »
Looks like the bill for the Shooting came to 4.2 million.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-women-shot-millions-20130423,0,1713238.story

With that kind of money maybe they can move out of Califrickia
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
Looks like the bill for the Shooting came to 4.2 million.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-women-shot-millions-20130423,0,1713238.story

That should cover a new pickup.

They could even get it gold-plated ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 09:51:34 PM »
That should cover a new pickup.

They could even get it gold-plated ...

And put a bunch of those little bullet hole stickers all over the back.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Still no arrest on the officers that committed attempted murder.  :mad:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
The extremes of the felony murder rule.  If an attributed death occurs as a result of a felonious act, murder.  The rule stretches to absurdity as it exists as further hindrance to folks committing crimes.  Robbing a bank and you drop the gun, it goes off and the bullet kills someone- Murder.  The scary sound causes a heart attack and kills someone- Murder.  Due to the distraction of the robbery an unsupervised child eats some quarters in the corner, chokes and dies- Murder. 

Its all yet another reason why there aren't many criminal pessimists.  Those darn idiot optimists are the irrational ones we have to look out for.   :police:

We had a couple of kids from my town beat a store owner half to death with a baseball bat in a robbery gone wrong.  6 months later the guy was still in the hospital, and unexpectedly died of a heart attack.  The DA changed the charges to Murder 1 and got convictions.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
So ....

If the cops had killed one or both of those newspaper ladies, and Dorner had been taken alive, would he have been charged with felony murder for the women killed by the cops  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
Would- who knows.  Some offices like going with the best charges and ignoring the ancillary as they would be wrapped in the greater charges (concurrent sentence).  Others like the kitchen sink approach; throw a lot and most juries will pick a random few if they can't agree on the primary charge as a compromise to all go home.  The kitchen sink has the best and worst of office practices.  Some folks have everything well prepared and demand justice for all acts; others just throw a lot of crud at the wall confident some will stick. 

Could- Most Definitely. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »
Would- who knows.  Some offices like going with the best charges and ignoring the ancillary as they would be wrapped in the greater charges (concurrent sentence).  Others like the kitchen sink approach; throw a lot and most juries will pick a random few if they can't agree on the primary charge as a compromise to all go home.  The kitchen sink has the best and worst of office practices.  Some folks have everything well prepared and demand justice for all acts; others just throw a lot of crud at the wall confident some will stick. 

Could- Most Definitely. 

You took my question seriously  ???

I was just trying to point out the ridiculousness of the cops murdering people and blaming someone else for it.  I guess you made it not quite so ridiculous.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 12:21:57 AM »
You took my question seriously  ???

I was just trying to point out the ridiculousness of the cops murdering people and blaming someone else for it.  I guess you made it not quite so ridiculous.

Well; they have done it before.  I forget if it was for a class or the bar exam, but that has been a question I've studied.  My initial response was imagining officers shooting folks all willy-nilly while shouting at a suspect 'Look what you made me do.'  But, alas, truth is stranger, and more depressing, than fiction.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 04:17:20 AM »
Referencing back to the thread about the wrong address drug raid- should the actuall target of the raid be charged with murder?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 05:30:04 AM »
Referencing back to the thread about the wrong address drug raid- should the actuall target of the raid be charged with murder?

For a non-violent offense or even no offense at all  ???

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
We pay for them to do a job. We also pay for their incompetance when they screw up.
That's pretty standard, regardless of who's the boss.

The diffrence is, we can't fire them.

But if they go apey, we can set them on fire.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
And put a bunch of those little bullet hole stickers all over the back.

:rofl: This!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »
So what I am learning from this is that if I am wanted, "Dead or Alive" that's actually preferable to "Alive" because killing me is more expensive to the cops.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage