Author Topic: Blue Angels and Thunderbirds stand down for the year  (Read 1676 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Blue Angels and Thunderbirds stand down for the year
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »
As a result of budget cuts, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds have cancelled their schedules for the remainder of the year.  So when something like this happens, are the pilots and crew just rotated back to the fleet until such time as the schedule resumes?  Or is the team kept together regardless?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Regolith

• friend
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Blue Angels and Thunderbirds stand down for the year
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
Pilots and airframes (regardless of paint schemes for the latter), are combat assets, yes.

I've been talking to my old homies at the 55th Wing.  They (and all other flying units in Air Combat Command) are reviewing the 45,000 training hours sequestered out of the FY13 budget.  

I doubt the pretty demonstration fighters will see that much wear and tear vs. their gray counterparts, but the line aircraft will also see less flying hours.

If a shootin' war was to start up, other programs would get cut to fund those operations deemed necessary.  

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome

I've been to DC 4 or 5 times and I think the Monument may have been open once. So, *expletive deleted*ck em. They can keep their monuments. I want my government back
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
I agree.  Shut 'em down.  Maybe I'm just feeling bitter and alienated right now. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome
Good link, good definition.

We're seeing the same thing now in the budget process regarding benefits - the only thing they're addressing as an "entitlement" to curtail are a person's earned Social Security retirement benefits, although SS today is not part of the deficit today.  It's a visible and popular program that promises to deliver some benefit to every working person who survives long enough to retire. And proposals to curtail SS serve to draw people's attention away from all the irrelevant, unnecessary, and sometimes downright harmful other cr@p that tax money is being wasted on.

But you notice, nobody on either side of the aisle is talking about curtailing handouts (I refuse to call them "entitlements") - by which I mean all the various welfare programs that pay UNEARNED benefits to tens of millions of slackers to the tune of over one trillion dollars per year . . . a figure eerily close to the annual deficit. (And nobody is talking about how "immigration reform" and "a path to citizenship" will swell the ranks of those eligible for these handouts.)

As for the military . . . while flight time & readiness are being sacrificed, you can bet that procurement from companies in select congressional districts will not be affected, even if it's for mohair, spats, and replacement parts for Willys Jeeps.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:34:30 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
I've been to DC 4 or 5 times and I think the Monument may have been open once. So, *expletive deleted* em. They can keep their monuments. I want my government back

If you want to see the MLK monument, it will be open- it would be racist to close it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama