Author Topic: News sites now selling articles, not just ads.  (Read 622 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
News sites now selling articles, not just ads.
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
Companies are paying news sites to publish "sponsored content." This could have some interesting implications.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/business/media/sponsors-now-pay-for-online-articles-not-just-ads.html?ref=business&_r=0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: News sites now selling articles, not just ads.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:13:33 AM »
http://www.popehat.com/2013/04/05/town-without-pony/

That would not be the first time Ken has been approached regarding sponsored content.  He was not able to go as far with the pony sthichk this time as he has in a few truly epic exchanges.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:22:19 AM »
In what way is this different from the activities of newspapers and magazines in the previous 300 years?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40:20 AM »
In what way is this different from the activities of newspapers and magazines in the previous 300 years?

Exactly, been going on for awhile. If you are a good PR hack you write a press release that doesn't sound releasey. With luck, you get a lazy reporter/editor that runs it as is and calls it news. Now relace that luck with a little money. All the big circ periodicals have those sponsored content sections nowadays, they slowly look less and less like adspace and more like nooz.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.