Author Topic: Minor annoyances of the "new normal"  (Read 9172 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Minor annoyances of the "new normal"
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
Turning off the water heater would end badly for an office building, but it's possible that one could get away with it in a restaurant or convenience store. You might have a lot of customer complaints, or you might not.

mak, have you ever mentioned this to the management?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 04:18:46 PM »
Turning off the water heater would end badly for an office building, but it's possible that one could get away with it in a restaurant or convenience store. You might have a lot of customer complaints, or you might not.

mak, have you ever mentioned this to the management?

I was asking myself why I hadn't done that as I was replying through this thread. Next time I encounter the issue, I'll be sure to find out.

(I'm assuming it's because it was annoying, but not annoying enough for me to go through the rigmarole of contacting management. Now that it's an annoyance and curiosity, I'll be investigating further.) 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
I could see it in a gas station, even though it would still be pointless to do so in terms of energy savings. Restaraunt less so, as folks like to complain about everything there. Grocery store is on the edge leaning towards no.

But any normal mixed use or office space commercial building almost definitely not.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
I could see it in a gas station, even though it would still be pointless to do so in terms of energy savings.

Why pointless?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »
I could see it in a gas station, even though it would still be pointless to do so in terms of energy savings. Restaraunt less so, as folks like to complain about everything there. Grocery store is on the edge leaning towards no.

But any normal mixed use or office space commercial building almost definitely not.

Pointless doesnt mean it wont happen pf course.

The idiots I work for yell at us if we dont turn off the big flourescent lights everytime we leave the room (even if we are going to return in a minute) and they wanted us to shut off the water heaters every night and turn them back on in the morning
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
According to my Korean friend, in SK it's normal to just have towels in the restrooms, on a hook, for people to dry their hands.

My wife works for a Korean company and goes there a time or two a year on business. She says that the places she goes have paper towels.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

erictank

• friends
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
I haven't heard of that being done, but I seem to remember hearing it recommended as a cost-saving measure for homeowners. And put on a sweater.

Mak,

If the hot water faucet yields cold water, I see three likely reasons:

The water heater is some distance away, and the hot water hasn't reached you yet.

Or there's something wrong with the water heater.

Or somebody hooked somep'n up back-ards.

Hot water in the ops building at work is literally a matter of FIVE MINUTES running the faucet. Once it's there, it'll run just about forever, but you waste literally gallons of water waiting for it to warm up. Water heater is a LOOOONG ways from any of the faucets.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
Why pointless?

It'd be a tiny tiny fraction of your load reduced, but a significant impact on functionality.

Hot water in the ops building at work is literally a matter of FIVE MINUTES running the faucet. Once it's there, it'll run just about forever, but you waste literally gallons of water waiting for it to warm up. Water heater is a LOOOONG ways from any of the faucets.

At my last building we hooked circ pumps up to the hot water loops to help with that. It still took several cycles of the auto-faucets to get warm water over if no one had used the bathroom for a while. And that was a short (<25 foot) run, with a pump pushing it. Lotta water in the lines, not all of what comes out is on the hot side, and not that much comes out.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »

The last house I had had one of those on demand tankless hot water heaters. Took 3 minutes to get hot water. But once it had hot water you could take an hour long shower and it was wonderful. Especially coming back home after an all day/night SAR mission in the freezing rain or coming home after a fire...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
(in the intrest of injecting a bit of levity to this suprisingly serious conversation :O )

We don't have hot water in the bathroom at work, but it's not due to any attempts at having a "green" workplace or saving money.
Not long before I started working there, they had a litter of two who managed to get into the bathroom one night and eat the water hoses on the sink.
When they arrived the next morning, the entire shop was flooded. For a long time, they never turned on the hoses to that sink, and only in the past few years, did they reconnonect the cold water.

The puppies ended up named Croc 'n Dial.
:)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
It'd be a tiny tiny fraction of your load reduced, but a significant impact on functionality.

At my last building we hooked circ pumps up to the hot water loops to help with that. It still took several cycles of the auto-faucets to get warm water over if no one had used the bathroom for a while. And that was a short (<25 foot) run, with a pump pushing it. Lotta water in the lines, not all of what comes out is on the hot side, and not that much comes out.

I'd say it's this.

AND add to that the empty uninsulated drywall and metal stud constructions of most commercial structures built in the last 20 years, and stuff like unheated suspended cielings and interstitial spaces, the hot water has to overcome the rather cold supply pipe too. And and the hot water just doesn't work because nobody's willing to hold down the spring-loaded automatic fixtures, or wave their hand like an idiot under the already touchy IR sensor for five minutes.  :P

Epic contractor fail:

Friends had a very expensive house in NoVA built (IMHO the workmanship from their builder was shoddy all the way around...lots of "WTF?" mistakes for a million dollar home).
Somehow the master bathroom toilet was hooked to the hot water supply.  Gave a new meaning to taking a steamer.

Some builders do that intentionally in warm or steamy climates, places like VA or TX, or just when there's normal shower/bathroom steam. The warm water fill in the tank prevents cold condensation/sweating on the toilet tank that could leave stains, or water dripping to the floor.

I also see some people hooking up their refrigerator/freezer ice-makers to the hot water lines because the hot water holds less dissolved gas, and makes clearer and better tasting ice, even though it's a "waste" because now the freezer has to overcome the injection of warmth into the icemaker.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:51:43 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »

Not if the sink is just for hand-washing.

It would save quite a bit of money, if stores just didn't install water heaters at all. I don't know if there's a code requirement for those, or not.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »

It would save quite a bit of money, if stores just didn't install water heaters at all. I don't know if there's a code requirement for those, or not.

I have a hard time imagining a business open to the general public not getting huge amounts of complaints if the only water source in the bathroom was straight off the domestic main cold water. And it'd never work in an office building (my personal context).

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »

I would think there would be a code requirement, from the sanitation perspective.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
I work in a medical facility. We have restroom hot water-scalding hot on occasion. My gripe is the number of physicians and medical providers WHO DON"T USE IT!!! :facepalm:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch