Author Topic: Senators strike deal on background checks  (Read 17327 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Senators strike deal on background checks
« on: April 10, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/10/politics/congress-gun-laws/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

In a breakthrough on gun legislation, two U.S. senators -- a Democrat and a Republican -- announced on Wednesday they worked out a compromise on expanding background checks on firearms buyers to include gun shows and Internet sales.

The deal reached by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, and Pat Toomey, R-Pennsylvania, sets up the likelihood of a major Senate debate on gun legislation starting as soon as Thursday, when the chamber is expected to overcome a GOP filibuster attempt to block the proposals.

Manchin noted that the proposal meant that firearms buyers at gun shows and on the Internet would face the same background check currently required in sales by federally licensed gun dealers.

He addressed a concern of the NRA that expanding background checks would burden law-abiding gun owners seeking to trade or gift weapons in a personal transfer, saying "personal transfers are not touched whatsoever."

It's not clear to me how this would be iimplemented.  Apparently all sales at gun shows would require background checks (and, I presume, form 4473 to be filled out for each).   What is an "internet sale"?  If someone posts on ad on craigslist, for example, and the seller and buyer live in the same state, would this "compromise" require a background check?  And how would that requirement be met?

Your thoughts?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Senators strike deal on background checks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
This is a "no big deal" right now kind of thing.

It's going to affect the non-ffl'ed tables at gun shows, and that's about it.

But once it is established, some other omnibus 5000 page piece of legislation can append this stuff on the sly.  And it's merely a "minor modification" rather than brand new legislation. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
Kill it with fire.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »
Kill it with fire.
Then piss on it, hit it with gasoline, and burn it some more.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
It also exempts people from NICS if they have a CCW.

And makes it legal for dealers to sell guns outside theirr home state.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
It also exempts people from NICS if they have a CCW.

And makes it legal for dealers to sell guns outside theirr home state.

Easily taken away.  Not worth the encroachment.

Just another '86 FOPA.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »
I would like to read the actual language.  Can't wrap my mind around the theory that checks are required, but personal transfers won't be impacted.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
I would like to read the actual language.  Can't wrap my mind around the theory that checks are required, but personal transfers won't be impacted.

Maybe they are making something that is already illegal, illegal  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
Easily taken away.  Not worth the encroachment.

Just another '86 FOPA.

How would you like filling out a yellow form for every ammo purchase?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »

If a friend comes over, and you sell him your Glock, no check required. If you advertise your Glock in a classified ad - surprise! Background chex!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/10/senators-to-unveil-proposed-compromise-on-gun-background-checks-as-vote-looms/

The proposal, which would be voted on as an amendment,

That means this is only part of it, and we don't have a clue what the rest of the bill is or whether it will pass or not.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 06:54:56 PM »
How would you like filling out a yellow form for every ammo purchase?

There was a time, that I can remember, when every ammo purchase was logged.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
There was a time, that I can remember, when every ammo purchase was logged.

I think that is MB's point, FOPA was a true compromise where some good things were surrendered, and some bad things were removed.

The counter point is that this proposal hasn't named any compromise component, its all surrender and no return.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »
This is just the summary, we still need to see the actual bill:

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=965

Still way more take than give, but it does loosen interstate sales.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:26 PM »
Family transfers and some private sales (friends, neighbors, other individuals) are exempt from background checks

Hmmm, we're all friends - right ???   ;)

And remember what Jesus said about neighbors  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »
This is just the summary, we still need to see the actual bill:

http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=965

Still way more take than give, but it does loosen interstate sales.

Bans private sales.
Kill it with fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »
Bans private sales.
Kill it with fire.
My above statement stands
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
Somebody please tell me how a FFL is going to be able to run a background check through NICS and complete the 4473 on merchandise that has never gone through his bound book.

Are all FFLs going to have to provide this service upon request?  Upon demand?

Suppose there is a "designated FFL" at gun shows to cover the otherwise formerly private sales.  Will they be precluded from offering any other FFL work during the gunshow?  Who sets up the rotation sachedule if there is not going to be a single designated FFL?  Can a FFL refuse to participate in the rotation schedule?  Wouldn't a "dedicated" gunshow FFL be a kitchen table licensee as opposed to one with a B&M presence?

I have so many questions.

And I have not yet gotten around to the 4473s.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
Somebody please tell me how a FFL is going to be able to run a background check through NICS and complete the 4473 on merchandise that has never gone through his bound book.

Guess you haven't been to Kalifornia since about, oh, 1999?

All firearm sales, including personal transactions, require an FFL with background check out there.

Wanna sell a buddy your gun?  You both head to an FFL dealer, the seller surrenders the gun to the FFL, who then runs the check, does the 4473, and initiates the waiting period.

When the NICS check comes back ok and the waiting period has completed, the buyer is free to retrieve his new firearm from the FFL holder.

IIRC, the FFL charges a nominal fee for the service.    

(Of course, that's what the residents who choose to abide by that law do. I can't speak for those who still buy/sell the old-fashioned way...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
Kill it with fire.

Indeed.  That is what I will tell my senators.  Hopefully Cruz & the white haired guy will KIWF, jump on the hot ashes, and then whip out their jimmies & piss it down into the gutter.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »
CNN was playing all gun related stuff today I believe.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 12:10:31 AM »
I think that is MB's point, FOPA was a true compromise where some good things were surrendered, and some bad things were removed.

The counter point is that this proposal hasn't named any compromise component, its all surrender and no return.

- Permits interstate handgun sales from dealers.

- Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer.

Summary of Title II: This section of the bill requires background checks for sales at gun shows and online while securing certain aspects of 2nd Amendment rights for law abiding citizens.

As  far as I understand, the bill's main drawback is requiring checks for online and gun show sales - other personal transfers are exempt.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »
As  far as I understand, the bill's main drawback is requiring checks for online and gun show sales - other personal transfers are exempt.

Bzzzzt.  Do not pass go.

It says FAMILY and "temporary" transfers are exempt.  It DOES say "closing the 'gun show' and 'other' loopholes" meaning PRIVATE (but non-family, non temporary) transfers.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:42 AM »
Then piss on it, hit it with gasoline, and burn it some more.

This calls for something a little more extreme. Take it down to the National Ignition Laboratories and use it for target practice in the fusion chamber.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 05:30:40 AM »
Bzzzzt.  Do not pass go.

It says FAMILY and "temporary" transfers are exempt.  It DOES say "closing the 'gun show' and 'other' loopholes" meaning PRIVATE (but non-family, non temporary) transfers.

I've heard different interpretations of this phrasing. We'll have to see the bill, I guess.