Author Topic: Senators strike deal on background checks  (Read 17331 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Senators strike deal on background checks
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »
Want to be sad for America?

Read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us/politics/senate-obama-gun-control.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And read the comments.  Its amazing how much people want to destroy our freedoms.

My personal favorite was this one, purely on the basis of amazing stupidity
gunstePortola Valley CA
Maybe there is a way around the Senate GOP and the NRA. Take an alternative approach to assault gun control:
The second amendment reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Let us ask the Courts or/and Congress to implement a very narrow reading of this and then require that all persons who own an assault or military type gun/weapon on your list, be members of a well regulated militia.
That would provide some supervision to individuals who need supervision and control. If militias are under state or federal control, the National Guard can be the supervisor or rules can be written. People who do not wish to be in a militia can get rid of their assault weapons.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:38:04 PM by scout26 »

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »
I'll bet that person from Portola Valley is a professor at Stanford.   :angel:

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
It really is amazing how people who profess "anti-violence" are so predisposed to make use of Government violence and force to coerce others to live a way they do not want to.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
Want to be sad for America?

Read this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/us/politics/senate-obama-gun-control.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And read the comments.  Its amazing how much people want to destroy our freedoms.

My personal favorite was this one, purely on the basis of amazing stupidity

The Militia Act of 1792 which provided, in part:

So I can go buy an M16?  That would be the modern equivalent of "a good firelock or musket."  Also I think they would have a problem with "able-bodied"  (violates the ADA), "white" (various Civil Rights Acts along with the 14th Amendment), male (EEO no-no right there), citizen (What about "undocumented workers"?), "who is or shall be of age of eighteen years" and "under the age of forty-five years"  (Age Discrimination).  So it sounds to me like everyone is in the militia.   Therefore the 2A applies to everyone.  Machine Guns for EVERYBODY !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2013, 06:08:21 PM »
The Militia Act of 1792 which provided, in part:

So I can go buy an M16?  That would be the modern equivalent of "a good firelock or musket."  Also I think they would have a problem with "able-bodied"  (violates the ADA), "white" (various Civil Rights Acts along with the 14th Amendment), male (EEO no-no right there), citizen (What about "undocumented workers"?), "who is or shall be of age of eighteen years" and "under the age of forty-five years"  (Age Discrimination).  So it sounds to me like everyone is in the militia.   Therefore the 2A applies to everyone.  Machine Guns for EVERYBODY !!!!

Well, if you've read Miller, yeah, pretty much.

Funny how little play that actually gets, though.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
I've been waiting for someone to actually bring Miller up as a counter to NFA
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)