Author Topic: Undercover officers arrange sting on CCW permit class  (Read 5869 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Re: Undercover officers arrange sting on CCW permit class
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:57 PM »
So instead of being outraged at the entrapment and infringement of our rights, we are obsequious serfs promising to do better next time.

We are not the men our forefather were- they would be ashamed of us.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 02:22:17 PM »
So instead of being outraged at the entrapment and infringement of our rights, we are obsequious serfs promising to do better next time.

We are not the men our forefather were- they would be ashamed of us.

God bless you. You get it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
So you both are okay with an intentional act that negatively impacts not only the instructor's students, but also general gun owners' ability to successfully retain and possibly recover the portion of our 2A rights we've already lost to regulation?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »
So you both are okay with an intentional act that negatively impacts not only the instructor's students, but also general gun owners' ability to successfully retain and possibly recover the portion of our 2A rights we've already lost to regulation?

Brad

So all these people that had less than 8 hours of training have been out shooting off their guns in main street on saturday night  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
So all these people that had less than 8 hours of training have been out shooting off their guns in main street on saturday night  ???

Seperate issue, one of agreeing with him in principal (which I do, by the way).

The issue at hand is condoning overt and intentional stupidity that can, and likely will, have a directly negative effect on hundreds - possibly thousands - of people (every person who's taken his class), and a related negative effect on tens of millions (gun owners who now have to content with yet another "look at what this eeeeevilll gun guy did..." story for the press and anti-gun politicians).

Agreeing with him in principal does not change the real-world negative impact of his actions.  No amount of rightous indignation will change it.  Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:05:05 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
I can only imagine the frothy indignation some folks in this thread would have had to the Boston Tea Party (or Rosa Parks, or etc etc).
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »
This was no Tea Party, and he ain't Rosa Parks. This guy was just skirting the law, hoping to go unnoticed.

If you want a gun-toting Rosa Parks, look for her to open carry on Pennsylvania Avenue.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
This was no Tea Party, and he ain't Rosa Parks. This guy was just skirting the law, hoping to go unnoticed.

This. A modern "tea party" would include open defiance. This guy was just violating the law because he didn't want to spend more hours teaching the class, there was no noble "This law is unjust and I refuse to comply!" here.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
Seperate issue, one of agreeing with him in principal (which I do, by the way).

The issue at hand is condoning overt and intentional stupidity that can, and likely will, have a directly negative effect on hundreds - possibly thousands - of people (every person who's taken his class), and a related negative effect on tens of millions (gun owners who now have to content with yet another "look at what this eeeeevilll gun guy did..." story for the press and anti-gun politicians).

Agreeing with him in principal does not change the real-world negative impact of his actions.  No amount of rightous indignation will change it.  Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Brad

Make lemonade  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
This. A modern "tea party" would include open defiance. This guy was just violating the law because he didn't want to spend more hours teaching the class, there was no noble "This law is unjust and I refuse to comply!" here.
Agreed.

Open defiance is open defiance. This dude just wanted to get paid for eight hours of work and mill out certification forms as quickly as possible.

I sure as hell don't like mandatory training in the first place, let alone eight hours worth. But I don't agree with what this moron did either.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
And how much upside is there to what he did? If he wasn't caught, he would have saved some people some time and money (most classes I've seen cost more than $80, depending on who provides the hardware).

On the negative side, the article says police are going to be dropping in on more CCW classes now.

Not much of a trade-off there.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »

What "entrapment"?

The guy was teaching a class that is legally mandated to run eight hours, and he wrapped it up in three hours. No police sting enticed him to do that -- he did it all of his own accord and volition.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »

So.....more like Harriet Tubman & the Underground Railroad.....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »

hariet tubman didn't mess over the folks she was helping.  or charge them then commit fraud that left them hanging.   the only place hes a hero is on the internet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 08:03:04 PM »

More like a coyote that takes your money and drops you in the middle of the desert.

Guy charged for the mandated eight hour class, did it the way he felt was quickest, and left them hanging. Quite possibly putting their permits in jeopardy.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »

BTP participants were in disguise.

Dude was not wise, but I am not going to go apey over it.  Same way I don't go apey over folks cutting/styling hair without a state cert.

The state could have easily just told him to knock it off since they were on to his shenanigans and likely it would have ended right there when he was hit with the cluebat.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »

Dude was not wise, but I am not going to go apey over it.  Same way I don't go apey over folks cutting/styling hair without a state cert.

You should.  Dumb crap like this directly undermines pro-2A efforts in a very public and far-reaching way. 

And to even ATTEMPT to analogize a constitutional issue to a haircut is, well... I won't say because the entire statement would be cut out by the expletive filters.  :mad:

Brad
-HankB

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »
What "entrapment"?

The guy was teaching a class that is legally mandated to run eight hours, and he wrapped it up in three hours. No police sting enticed him to do that -- he did it all of his own accord and volition.

Beat me to it.  Not entrapment by any stretch of the definition.

There have been a few arrests here, but from what I can tell, most of these classes are ignored.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »

It was still open defiance in that they wanted what was done to be known. The act was open defiance, even if the participants were disguised. This guy was not trying to make any public protest. He was just being a lazy sack. Lazy sack != civil disobedience.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »
You should.  Dumb crap like this directly undermines pro-2A efforts in a very public and far-reaching way. 

And to even ATTEMPT to analogize a constitutional issue to a haircut is, well... I won't say because the entire statement would be cut out by the expletive filters.  :mad:

Brad

Some folk think making a living is kinda important.  Hard to buy gunz with no money.  Or exercise any liberty.  Might be, that the right to make a living trumps RKBA, importance wise.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
It was still open defiance in that they wanted what was done to be known. The act was open defiance, even if the participants were disguised. This guy was not trying to make any public protest. He was just being a lazy sack. Lazy sack != civil disobedience.

But destruction of another man's property is.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:20 PM »
Some folk think making a living is kinda important.  Hard to buy gunz with no money.  Or exercise any liberty.  Might be, that the right to make a living trumps RKBA, importance wise.

Huh?

How does a "right" to make a living (a "right" not included in the Bill of Rights, by the way) in any way apply to the case under discussion, which boils down to fraud on the part of the instructor?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
But destruction of another man's property is.

And knowingly and willingly screwing hundreds, possibly thousands, of people who's only wrongdoing was good-faith attendance of his class is... ??

(hint: It's called theft, both of their time and money.  In large enough $ amounts in can be prosecuted as a felony.  In other words this guy could face serious felony theft charges if enough of his students have their CHL's yanked.  In many states CHL fees are non-refundable.  Add in the money value of time for re-taking the class and it only takes a couple students' lost CHLs to top the felony limit.)

Brad
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:44:42 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2013, 01:22:27 AM »
Idiot law. I've seen classes like that... not nearly that short, but maybe 2 hours short of the total time. Yeah, he broke the law and should've known better, but I wouldn't have any personal objection.

I'm astonished that the police have absolutely nothing better to do with their time than hassle a frigging CCW instructor. Are there no missing children, stolen property, unsolved murders to deal with?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 01:23:24 AM »

Of course. And you forgot to mention that they did it undercover of darkness.

But that's irrelevant for our purposes. The hosts of the Tea Party were not trying to get around the law, while pretending to be in compliance. They were sending a message that the law would not be complied with. Far different than what this instructor was doing.