Author Topic: Diane Feinstein, please ban these guns  (Read 3980 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Diane Feinstein, please ban these guns
« on: April 13, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »
http://cabotgun.com/

Ugly. Wrong. Do not want.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Diane Feinstein, please ban these guns
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 02:13:36 AM »
Shiny....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:46:01 AM »

Errr...I only saw one gun in their lineup that looked anything less than drool worthy. Do you mean the whole line or just that one gun?

Also, WANT:

http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/south-paw/

With a paired right handed version for shits and grins, since I'm more or less ambidextrous with pistols.  =D

Edit: Just looked at the price.  :O

Maybe if I hit the lottery...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »

Fail.  I'd give your left leg for one of those.

What I'm not a fan of is the artsy banner photos showing people exercising questionable handling.  Like the chick with her finger on the trigger and the muzzle against her finger tips.   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
Fail.  I'd give your left leg for one of those.

What I'm not a fan of is the artsy banner photos showing people exercising questionable handling.  Like the chick with her finger on the trigger and the muzzle against her finger tips.   :facepalm:

I'd give both of his legs for one of those.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
You people are crazy, and I'm reporting that to NICS right now.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
You people are crazy, and I'm reporting that to NICS right now.

Yeah, you're going to have to explain what your problem with them is. Unless you're *expletive deleted*ing with us.

This thing is indeed an abomination, but the rest of their guns are seriously nice looking guns.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
This thing is indeed an abomination, but the rest of their guns are seriously nice looking guns.

That was the first one I saw. The rest of them have truly ugly slide serrations. The "Classic" models look pretty nice, but even those have massive billboards on the slide. Pretty lame, for a 5 grand gun.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »

That was the first one I saw. The rest of them have truly ugly slide serrations. The "Classic" models look pretty nice, but even those have massive billboards on the slide. Pretty lame, for a 5 grand gun.

The side serrations don't bother me at all. I'm not a huge fan of the billboards either, but even they're not enough to really make the guns ugly.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »
The side serrations don't bother me at all.

He admits it! Get the net!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
Almost $5K for a "GI Classic". 

That's about the only 1911 that appeals to me, and I'd rather have the same thing in a Springfield or Rock Island, so I don't have a fit when it gets scuffed up from, you know, normal use.  Or, heaven help us all, an "idiot scratch".

There's a point with anything, past which you've stopped paying for function and started paying for status.  (Note, that point is different for different people.  Paying $3K to Nighthawk Custom might be worth it, if you're that good a shooter.)   Diminishing returns.  Anyone who buys one of these, well, I hope they enjoy the gun they can show around but don't dare shoot.  "Scuffing on the barrel!!  Send it in for refinishing!!"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »

That's about the only 1911 that appeals to me, and I'd rather have the same thing in a Springfield or Rock Island, so I don't have a fit when it gets scuffed up from, you know, normal use.  Or, heaven help us all, an "idiot scratch".

There's a point with anything, past which you've stopped paying for function and started paying for status.  (Note, that point is different for different people.  Paying $3K to Nighthawk Custom might be worth it, if you're that good a shooter.)   Diminishing returns.  Anyone who buys one of these, well, I hope they enjoy the gun they can show around but don't dare shoot.  "Scuffing on the barrel!!  Send it in for refinishing!!"

Sometimes I like to buy used guns just so I don't have to worry about putting the first scratch on it.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 12:32:54 PM »
I think he means that he wants the Senator to create excessive demand, and eventually a shortage of the Cabot products. I wish she would ban the weeds in my yard. They'd be stripped clean in a day.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
I think he means that he wants the Senator to create excessive demand, and eventually a shortage of the Cabot products.

Excessive demand? Possibly. A shortage of pimped-up, glittery 1911s? Hopefully.  =)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »

I can agree with this.
I'd also say that dings, scratches, holster wear and aged finish adds character and a joie de vivre quality to a firearm.

Safe queens are for folks with more money then sense, IMHO.

Which is not to say I would say no to a pistol lile that. I'm just saying I doubt it would stay so pristine in my care. :D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
SERIOUSLY over-priced, and ugly on top of that.

I've known about them since they first came out (actually, since before they first came out under the Cabot name). I don't understand all the hoop-lah, and I consider most of it to be self-aggrandizing cow patties. Any claims of "craftsmanship" in their guns are spurious, because they have no craftsmen. The guns are all CNC machined. They do it to very tight tolerances, and supposedly you can take any slide and put it on any frame, with any barrel, and get an acceptable fit.

Wait ... wasn't that an Ordnance Department requirement for the original M1911?

I'd much rather have a Colt 1991. The only 1911 I'm interested in that's in the multi-thousand dollar range is the Guncrafters Industries 50 GI.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »
Guncrafters Industries 50 GI.

DO WANT

Perd Hapley

• friend

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »
Those price tags... NO.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
SERIOUSLY over-priced, and ugly on top of that.

I've known about them since they first came out (actually, since before they first came out under the Cabot name). I don't understand all the hoop-lah, and I consider most of it to be self-aggrandizing cow patties. Any claims of "craftsmanship" in their guns are spurious, because they have no craftsmen. The guns are all CNC machined. They do it to very tight tolerances, and supposedly you can take any slide and put it on any frame, with any barrel, and get an acceptable fit.

Wait ... wasn't that an Ordnance Department requirement for the original M1911?

I'd much rather have a Colt 1991. The only 1911 I'm interested in that's in the multi-thousand dollar range is the Guncrafters Industries 50 GI.

There business model of selling a very overpriced 1911 with vague claims reminds me of the nutjob who was selling a 5k 1911 with the claims that it could be used at 600 yards...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!