Author Topic: It's happened again - brandishing charge  (Read 9206 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
It's happened again - brandishing charge
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »
Thank goodness it's not me.

http://tinyurl.com/c2lghzp

Guy got busted because a school bus driver behind him in a left-turn lane supposedly saw him put his handgun into a secured container in his dashboard.

Even though he has a CHP it does not matter since Va law says concealed carry in a secured container in the car (glovebox, closed center console, etc.) is legal without a CHP.

Va law defines the crime of brandishing as

Virginia Code § 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense. Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

B. Any police officer in the performance of his duty, in making an arrest under the provisions of this section, shall not be civilly liable in damages for injuries or death resulting to the person being arrested if he had reason to believe that the person being arrested was pointing, holding, or brandishing such firearm or air or gas operated weapon, or object that was similar in appearance, with intent to induce fear in the mind of another.

C. For purposes of this section, the word "firearm" means any weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel single or multiple projectiles by the action of an explosion of a combustible material. The word "ammunition," as used herein, shall mean a cartridge, pellet, ball, missile or projectile adapted for use in a firearm.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-69.2; 1968, c. 513; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1990, cc. 588, 599; 1992, c. 735; 2003, c. 976; 2005, c. 928.)

There's a lot more story to this than just some bus driver wetting his panties at the mere sight of the gun.  Unfortunately the guy's attorney will not authorize release of all the details just yet.

If any of you remember my incident at the ferry landing a few years ago - this is turning out, just in the first week, to be an even bigger circus.

I'm not asking anybody to make a donation.  I am asking that if you feel so inclined you post a note of support to the guy. 

I hope you will check on the progress of this case every few weeks just to see how much chest-high BS must be waded through just to get to the point where his attorney can discuss how puting a handgun in a daskboard glovebox can "reasonably induce fear in the mind of another" or how doing so is the sdame as  "hold[ing] a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured" - especially when the one who supposedly had fear induced into his mind was at all times behind the guy's vehicle and the gun never pointed rearwards.

I swear it's deja vu all over again.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: It's happened again - brandishing charge
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »
as long as they don't consider him being within 1000 ft of school property because of the schoolbus.............

in cases like this it sometimes seems like the attorneys want it to go as far as it can just to make their hourly wage.  in cases like this, how hard is it to read the law to the DA and everyone go home?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
That is a terribly written statute.  It would seem to allow prosecutions for people that do things like you describe in that case.  They need to dump "point" and "hold".  Point could be adequately covered by an assault statute and hold would seem to include a lot of lawful activities. 

As bad as some of the laws in my state are, the vast majority of brandishing charges are for things that were obviously brandishing.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another

the key being the interpretation of the word "reasonably". 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
Is the inside of my privately owned vehicle a "public" space?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »
Is the inside of my privately owned vehicle a "public" space?

It is now, comrade.

You didn't buy that yourself.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »
According to A. in the law posted above, one could be charged with a misdemeanor for taking a bite out of a donut, thereby making it look like a gun and holding it in your hand so it could be seen. (..."or any object similar in appearance.")  You get a felony if you were driving by a school with said gun looking donut if on a city street that comes closer to the school than 1000 feet.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
According to A. in the law posted above, one could be charged with a misdemeanor for taking a bite out of a donut, thereby making it look like a gun and holding it in your hand so it could be seen. (..."or any object similar in appearance.")  You get a felony if you were driving by a school with said gun looking donut if on a city street that comes closer to the school than 1000 feet.

That only works with Pop Tarts....... [popcorn] [tinfoil] [popcorn] [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 03:29:37 PM »
That only works with Pop Tarts......

I thought it was  — "That also works with Pop Tarts......"  =D
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
And I suppose if you finish eating the donut before police arrive, you'll be charged with evidence tampering too . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
Only cops are allowed to destroy doughnut-related evidence, Hank.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
as long as they don't consider him being within 1000 ft of school property because of the schoolbus.............

in cases like this it sometimes seems like the attorneys want it to go as far as it can just to make their hourly wage.  in cases like this, how hard is it to read the law to the DA and everyone go home?

The same attorney who represented me is representing this guy.  Fixed price for the duration.  He does not run up costs even though he may file motion after motioon after motion to make the Commonwealth Attorney wish the charge had never been brought - all while being quite proper to have filed each one.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »
Tidbit I wanted to post separately -

So far the judge has denied a motion for discovery and the Commonwealth Attorney has stated in court, in response to a motion for one, that he will not ever-ever-ever file a Bill of Particulars.

I'll let the legal scholars explain what that means - I'm too torn up between cussing a blue streak and laughing my head off.

stay safe.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »
Now, I'm neither a legal scholar nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night....

But I'm guessing it means the case is bullscat, the Commonwealth Attorney knows it's full of bullscat, and he's reallyreallyreally wishing that the cops that arrested this guy had just decided to have one more donut instead....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
No, the CA actually expected the guy's attorney to pull him aside just before the case was called, work out a plea agreement to some other less threatening-sounding misdemeanor, and suggest something like 10 days -to be served on weekends - and the max. fine.  At this point "they" are going full bore.

!No parasan!

stay safe.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
No, the CA actually expected the guy's attorney to pull him aside just before the case was called, work out a plea agreement to some other less threatening-sounding misdemeanor, and suggest something like 10 days -to be served on weekends - and the max. fine.  At this point "they" are going full bore.

!No parasan!

stay safe.

You know, I was thinking about this after posting it earlier, and that's also what I came up with - We're not gonna tell you exactly what we've got (because we've got jack and squat) in the hopes that you'll just plead out to something lesser instead of actually fighting.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
What's in it for police and prosecutors to start Barbara Streisand cases like this?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:30 AM »
What's in it for police and prosecutors to start Barbara Streisand cases like this?  ???

What good are laws if people don't break them.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »

I can't speak for them, but they may be doing it to harass people into stopping the behavior they were charged for.  They may know they will lose, but they know that it isn't cheap for people to defend themselves in court.  They may also take the chance that people will just plead to lesser charge.  Either way, it will discourage "brandishing".

I am just guessing here.  Most of the prosecutors I have known were decent people and were focused on getting criminals off the streets, rather than people that weren't hurting anyone.  Most also don't like to lose and will avoid cases where there is a poor chance of winning.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »
they may be doing it to harass people into stopping the behavior they were charged for

You mean like not breaking the law  ???

Well, it just might work  ;)  >:D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
... they may be doing it to harass people into stopping the behavior they were charged for.  ....

You mean like not breaking the law  ???

Well, it just might work  ;)  >:D

Sure, that might fly as long as the behavior was already codified as being illegal.

But what about charging people for stuff that is not illegal?  Or charging them when they did not do something that is codified as being illegal?

stay safe.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
But what about charging people for stuff that is not illegal?  Or charging them when they did not do something that is codified as being illegal?
Doesn't there have to be some kind of preliminary hearing before a judge?  A lot of this foolishness would stop if the judge threw out the charges AND jailed the prosecutor for a week for "contempt" for wasting the court's time.
"It's good, though..."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
I got out my checkbook to chip in a little for the defense, and how cool is this? I was halfway through writing the check when I noticed it =D

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
Sure, that might fly as long as the behavior was already codified as being illegal.

stay safe.

My point was that if they prosecute/persecute folks for not breaking the law, then folks just might not respect the law much anymore   ;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
My point was that if they prosecute/persecute folks for not breaking the law, then folks just might not respect the law much anymore   ;)

Nobody respects the law anymore. 
Everybody fears the law to some degree or another, except for congressmen because they've exempted themselves from most of it >:(
"It's good, though..."