Author Topic: Rep. Israel Promotes Expansion of Undetectable Firearms Act  (Read 2492 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Rep. Israel Promotes Expansion of Undetectable Firearms Act
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:37 AM »
Rep. Israel Promotes Expansion of Undetectable Firearms Act.

We knew he would, the bill has been posted: HR1474 It also bans home made plastic magazines, and home made plastic lower receivers.

Forbes has a good article about it, DefCAD has a good discussion with analysis.

More analysis from a group that worked with Israel to draft the bill: www.publicknowledge.org/blog

Last time it passed by a voice vote, and unanimous consent. It better not go that way this time.

The www.examiner.com has a good article concerning how this is the NRA's opportunity to more fully debunk the "industry shill" meme. It also references a lot of other well researched articles on the issue.

Israel's web page links to tons of articles about this issue.

While I am at it, another good article on why gun control failed. I guess these are everywhere, but here it is anyway. http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/dear-democratic-gun-control-lobby-how-to-get-better/

Edit to add: It now has two co-sponsors  http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/1474/cosponsors?q=hr1474
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:14:14 PM by DustinD »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Rep. Israel Promotes Expansion of Undetectable Firearms Act
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
I'm thinking of something for him to do. It includes the orifice of a rodent burrow, repeatedly applied blunt force and unlimited quantities of finely divided silicate material.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
It gets worse. Rep Israel's bill will require magazine manufactures to get manufacturing FFL's or use an once of metal in their magazine's body.

(C) any ammunition magazine, manufactured by a person who is not a licensed manufacturer--

`(i) that, after removal of the spring and follower, is not as detectable as the Magazine Security Exemplar, by walk-through metal detectors calibrated and operated to detect the Magazine Security Exemplar; or

`(ii) which, when subjected to inspection by the types of x-ray machines commonly used at airports, does not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the magazine.';

Quote from: Steve Israel
Law enforcement officials should have the power to stop high-capacity magazines from proliferating with a Google search.
He does later back pedal on his internet crackdown stance, but how does he hope for this to even appear to be enforceable to the laymen without doing just that?

http://www.examiner.com/article/rep-israel-s-undetectable-magazine-ban-requires-new-licensing-bureaucracy has the story.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

- Lon Horiuchi

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:47:26 PM »
Will not comply.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »
Sounds like a direct attack on mag-pul to me.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
This would push me into buying/building a 3D printer. And maybe just leaving plastic may bodies around with a sign that says"Free to good home".

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »
So little plastic thingies with no moving parts are dangerous  ???

What if you just made some perforated lids for them and call them back-pocket salt and pepper shakers  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
One thing I hate is that there is no reference for how "does not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the magazine." would be interpreted. Would the different plastic in the windows and other features count against PMags, or others?

This gets a lot worse for firearms due to the circular logic of "looks like a firearm." Only established firearms count, and how do you establish something new as looking like a firearm if you can't legally make it in the first place? I doubt this would hinder traditional looking rifles, shotguns, or pistols, but what about a home made P90 esk firearm, any of the many 10/22 exotic bodies, a functional movie or video game type reproduction, or any new sub-gun because their looks are all over the place. Any plastic parts, or variations in material could be construed as hiding its true shape from x-ray.

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 11:52:28 PM »
This would push me into buying/building a 3D printer. And maybe just leaving plastic may bodies around with a sign that says"Free to good home".

I think it would be just grand, if "high-capacity" magazines just started appearing in the mailboxes of Colorado and New York residents. Especially Mr. Bloomberg's mailbox.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 12:07:47 AM »

I think it would be just grand, if "high-capacity" magazines just started appearing in the mailboxes of Colorado and New York residents. Especially Mr. Bloomberg's mailbox.

Bloomberg would make the search for the Unabomber look like a relaxed and casual Easter egg hunt.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »
They have produced the first 3D printed plastic firearm.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/03/this-is-the-worlds-first-entirely-3d-printed-gun-photos/

From Forbes article's comments: I wonder how TSA feels about this?
Response: They don’t, they only feel you up, not about things.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:12:56 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 11:02:36 PM »
Just threw them $25.  =)
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »
Saw film of Chuckie Schumer this morning having the vapors about 3D printed guns and proposing legislation to make them illegal . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
Saw film of Chuckie Schumer this morning having the vapors about 3D printed guns and proposing legislation to make them illegal . . .

But how are they going to find them  ???   :P   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin