Author Topic: Zero motorcycle: Review by Wired magazine  (Read 8782 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Zero motorcycle: Review by Wired magazine
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/04/zero-ds/

Guy who wrote this review is pretty clearly a San Francisco weenie. 

He kept moaning in ecstasy over the deliberate handicaps that an electric vehicle imposes upon its rider.  The deliberateness of route-planning, the asceticism it compels in the transportee.

That being said, I think a bike like this would be great for daily commuting to work and back, or errands around town limited to a 75 mile range.  At $14,000 starting price however, I ain't biting.  Maybe at a third of that.  This thing is a toy on par with a 400cc DRZ, IMO.

However:

1. The notion of a dual-sport/enduro electric bike (author makes assertion that it has dual-sport suspension, and the tires are excessively treaded for an urban bike) makes me ROFLMAO.  Where you gonna get the juice to charge your dual-sport when you ride it 50 miles out into the country and the additional torque you suck up with all the hills you climbed turned your conventional 75-90 mile range to a 55-60 mile range?  Why even tease the rider with a dual-sport config with such a wretched limitation?  Put street tires on it, decrease rolling resistance from the dual sport tires, and add another 5 miles to its urban range.  It ain't a dual sport.  Dual sports are intended to run fire roads and cross entire counties (of man-sized western States, not those little things back east  ;)) before needing refueling.  Then camp out for the night and continue the next day.
2. Look at that rear belt sprocket.  It's freakin' huge.  Starting torque is pretty obviously a big drag on the battery, hence the reason for the giant rear sprocket and what appears to be a damned small front sprocket.  Top speed in "sport" mode is about 90mph, and in "eco" mode is about 70mph.  That appears to be due to the granny-gearing of the final drive.
3. Luggage capacity will further reduce its disappointing range.
4. Angry wasp.  Do not like.

Author got himself semi-stranded on the freeway with a low charge, doing 45mph and waving traffic to pass him.  Being on a tiny 400lb vehicle and at a 30mph differential with all the traffic around you (and impotent to fix that) is awfully dangerous.

I was initially interested in one of these when I first heard about them.  After seeing this review though, I've lost all interest.  Unless the range can be increased another 30 miles and the charge time reduced from 7+ hours on a empty-to-full recharge, to an hour or two.  And the price brought into parity with bikes of equal power and range.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Zero motorcycle: Review by Wired magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »
As batteries get better these bikes can make sense in urban areas. My neighbor and sometime lawyer went off on a tangent and stayed there. Not satisfied with his Norton museum he built at his farm he then built an electric motorcycle. It got better every year as better batteries became available. Greater problem than batteries, finding controllers that would handle the load and not die in the heat was tough. Put back to its season one streamliner config and de-tuned I'm sure it would greatly better the current claimed 80 mile range.

Local university got involved, really cool adventure in the end.

http://motoelectra.com/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:50:01 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
Bah! Who wants a coal powered motorcycle?

Turbo diesels have a lot more long term potential than battery operated toys.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
The electric tech is getting better in leaps and bounds, particularly in motorcycles.

It won't be long until you see a pretty decent sub 10k supermoto variant.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
Nice No-ped.
It seems like a Can Am would be a good candidate for something like this...tons of space to put batteries in, without looking too bad.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »
For that amount of money, I can buy a new Ural with a sidecar.  Those are real babe magnets.......chris3

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
I do think it is pretty cool, but the two things I really liked about my 650 BMW GS were 1) ~70 mpg, and the way it sounded. I had to force myself to ride it sometimes, because I wanted to add fresh gas to the tank.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
Bah! Who wants a coal powered motorcycle?

Turbo diesels have a lot more long term potential than battery operated toys.

That's what she said.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
The electric tech is getting better in leaps and bounds, particularly in motorcycles.
Really?  I think it might get cheaper, but not significantly better until there is a massive leap in battery tech.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:05 PM »
'Lectric vehicles are tools of devil.

Internal and external combustion is right and proper.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 03:28:01 AM »
>Internal and external combustion is right and proper.<

Hmmm... a steam-powered bike...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »
Hmmm... a steam rocket-powered bike...
>:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
Electric vehicles have instantaneous torque.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Poper

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
As batteries get better these bikes can make sense in urban areas. My neighbor and sometime lawyer went off on a tangent and stayed there. Not satisfied with his Norton museum he built at his farm he then built an electric motorcycle. It got better every year as better batteries became available. Greater problem than batteries, finding controllers that would handle the load and not die in the heat was tough. Put back to its season one streamliner config and de-tuned I'm sure it would greatly better the current claimed 80 mile range.

Local university got involved, really cool adventure in the end.

http://motoelectra.com/
I noticed the bike is fitted with LiPo (Lithium-Polymer) batteries.  They make really nasty fires when punctured and are recommended to be charged in fire proof containers.

LiPo's are incredibly light for the amount of power they produce, but they are also quite dangerous.  I recon there's nothing quite like having a chemical fire between your legs on the freeway, though.

Poper

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »
I noticed the bike is fitted with LiPo (Lithium-Polymer) batteries.  They make really nasty fires when punctured and are recommended to be charged in fire proof containers.

LiPo's are incredibly light for the amount of power they produce, but they are also quite dangerous.  I recon there's nothing quite like having a chemical fire between your legs on the freeway, though.

Poper

Not to defend electric vehicles, but...how's that any different than having a couple gallons of highly combustible gasoline between your legs?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
It's different because gasoline cycles have  100+ year history, and electric ones are new. People are justifiably skeptical of buying the "electric Pinto". Nobody wants to be the learning experience.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
Not to defend electric vehicles, but...how's that any different than having a couple gallons of highly combustible gasoline between your legs?

That was my first thought too.

Although I'll temper the snark with the admission that many people have an instinctive understanding of flammability, even vapor and flashover of volatile hydrocarbon fuels.

Not so much with Lithium.
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 11:26:58 PM »
Quite a few electric vehicles existed during the infancy of their gasoline counterparts.

How soon we forget...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/jay-leno/vintage/4215940

Poper

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »
There is a huge difference.  Gasoline is not likely to spontaneously burst into flames.
See this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_-eBbDE0s 
And this: http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t519305p1/
And this: https://www.google.com/search?q=li-po+battery+fire&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PhN7Ua37HsTd2QWwmIHoDA&sqi=2&ved=0CIABELAE&biw=1194&bih=886
These are just a small radio control model lipos.  Imagine what a lipo capable of driving a motorcycle would look like if it burned.  Think you could get off of it fast enough?  Do you have a fireproof room to charge it in?

Just Google "li-po battery fire".  Pretty scary stuff.  Any puncture or rupture in a lipo will cause it to burn, too.
They don't last forever and can be very temperamental and unpredictable.  I have seen a li-po burn because it was discharged too quickly, swelled up and ruptured.  Destroyed a $1,200 model in seconds.

With all the above said, it is easy to see why manufacturers are reluctant to expose themselves to the liability Lithium-Polymer batteries pose.

JMHO, of course.

Poper

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »
They don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing. Bike I linked was experimental in many ways. Screw around with dangerous stuff and eventually the masses get safe usable tech. Like the good old days experimentin with internal combustion when alternative fuels didn't mean some wimpy corn juice, how about some hydrazine and nitromethane that might detonate in the tank? Good times.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »
That was my first thought too.

Although I'll temper the snark with the admission that many people have an instinctive understanding of flammability, even vapor and flashover of volatile hydrocarbon fuels.

Not so much with Lithium.

About 10 months ago I put out a fully involved Harleycue. It had a nearly full fuel tank at the start of the fire. All that happened was it popped the cap and burned off. i was able to approach it with only turnout gear on and no SCBA and put it out with a 10lb extinguisher easily. Nothing to it.

One of these fancy lithium batteries? Yeah it would have been a different story...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
Good enough for a Boeing 787...   ;)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

Poper

Not LiPo, Li:FePO4, which, while containing a flammable electrolyte solvent, don't have a thermal runaway problem that plagues Li:Po, as the internal resistance is low enough (which is why they are used in high peak power applications like this ).  The overall quantity of electrolyte is small, less than a gallon, divided into many cells, and is no more flammable than gasoline.  The fire problem is due more to lithium metal and thermal runaway, and the nano-phosphate cells nearly eliminate the latter, and make the former much safer.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »
I would much prefer to have something like a Honda CBR 150, but Honda didn't sell that model in the US. I've seen them in my wife's native country (along with about 15,000 Chinese clones of various brand names that were obviously reverse engineered from the Honda and probably all came out of the same factory). Cute little city bike, looks like a crotch rocket on a diet, probably gets between 150 and 200 miles per gallon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »
Honda sells the cbr 250 here
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog