Author Topic: Every once in a while we need a reminder...  (Read 1335 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Every once in a while we need a reminder...
« on: April 27, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
...that some politicians are more stupider than Joe Biden:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/346718/hank-johnson-imagine-world-without-balloons
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Every once in a while we need a reminder...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
Ha ha.
That's gotten a fair bit of play on the radio talk show circuit -- including but NOT limited to Rush Limbaugh.
There was always that other guy --, WAIT! Maybe it was ALSO Johnson, who thought Guam would "tip over!!!"  I think it WAS good ol' Hank Johnson!
Then again there was that female demorat from Texas who wondered why one of the Mars roving robots couldn't go examine an old Apollo Lunar Lander .........
We are so getting the government we richly deserve ....... :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
Not knowing Mr. Johnson, I used to suspect that the "Guam tipping over" thing was an intentional joke, now I am not so sure.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
Not knowing Mr. Johnson, I used to suspect that the "Guam tipping over" thing was an intentional joke, now I am not so sure.

If you watch the actual clip, it doesn't appear like it's a joke.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
As i recall, after the Guam incident hit the Interwebz, he and his staff were saying that it was a joke and people weren't bright enough to catch it. However, when you hear him speak, to be blunt, he sounds like a guy that rides the short bus who also took a good blow to the noggin, so taking his Guam statements seriously versus as a joke is not that hard to do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »
I suspect he believed every word of the Guam statement.  It is up to him to put a particular statement into it's proper and intended prespective.  GA is blesssed to have Congress creatures like him. :)
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
I was going to say "not sure if stupid or trolling," but then I watched the video.  :facepalm:

If this guy is a troll, it's master-class, but he's probably just that dumb......  :'(
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 01:29:31 AM »
And these are our "betters"....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.