Author Topic: I'm not myself recently  (Read 826 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
I'm not myself recently
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:27:29 AM »
Where recently means 2 - 4 years.  I think it may be sleep related, but I don't know.  I think I get enough sleep most the time, but I just don't feel coherent most the time.  It's almost like when you have a bad cold.  I just can't seem to concetrate on more then one thing.  My short term memory is done, I have to write down EVERYTHING if I want to remember it.

Does this sound like sleep?  Being in college I have a pretty irregular sleep schedule most the time, but over the last 4 years I feel like I've been getting worse and worse.  I don't even like driving anymore because I feel like I can't focus on the road and keep my eyes peeled looking out for someone that might pull out of a drive way in front of me or something.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm going to try getting more sleep, but if I'm not feeling better in a few weeks, I'm going to see a doctor I think.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
I'm not myself recently
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
Try getting some treatment for depression.  That can often cause just those symptoms.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

I'm not myself recently
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 11:54:22 AM »
I'm curious if you've ever had your blood sugar tested?

Do you sometimes feel like you're rolling downhill with ball bearings under your feet even when standing/sitting still?

Do you get extremely sleepy 30min-an hour after, say, a bowl of cereal or a burger & fries?

Just trying to help ID what's going on...

Nick1911

• Administrator
I'm not myself recently
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »
I'm curious if you've ever had your blood sugar tested?
No, I haven't.  Are you thinking diabetes?  fwiw, I have a cousin who is diabetic.

Do you sometimes feel like you're rolling downhill with ball bearings under your feet even when standing/sitting still?
No, but sometimes I do feel like I'm on the verge of passing out, which is another reason I don't feel able to drive sometimes.  (I don't want to pass out while driving)

Do you get extremely sleepy 30min-an hour after, say, a bowl of cereal or a burger & fries?
Maybe.  I haven't really thought about it.

Try getting some treatment for depression.  That can often cause just those symptoms.
That's very interesting... I don't think I feel depressed...?

Old Fud

• friend
I'm not myself recently
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:35:54 PM »
SEE A DOCTOR!!!  

1) Diabetes is not uncommon and it runs in families.

2) I can think of a few other medical maladies --- hypothyroid condition being one of them -- that would do that.   So would emphysema.    Low blood pressure, which can be caused by a number of conditions.     (you will start to pass out if you read BELOW 80 over 55 -- and 90 over 60 is a wonderful athlete's state at rest.)

3) And the "Depression" diagnosis is worth considering too.

Depression is not limited to "I feel unhappy".
It is also "I don't care any more."

I once told a doctor that I had no thought or intention of stepping in front of a truck, but if I happened to be in the middle of the street and saw one coming, I probably wouldn't hurry to get out of it's way.   Boy, did he ever come to a point!

4)  It could be lack of QUALITY sleep.   That might be dreams; it might be muscle cramps; it could be a lousy mattress or pillow.   Apnea is a known cause of sleep-related problems.

A good doctor will help you to pick one of the above and then work on it.

Good luck,
Fud
Change is Bad!

Nick1911

• Administrator
I'm not myself recently
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 04:19:22 PM »
SEE A DOCTOR!!!
Point taken, I really probably should, espically since this is now affecting my daily life...

...hypothyroid condition being one of them...
My mom actually has a thyroid condition.  I'm unaware of the specifics, but I know she has to take medication for it every day, forever.  Do thyroid problems run in families?

Anyway, I'm going to try to get lots of sleep, but I will probably at least speak with a doctor about it before school fires up.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
I'm not myself recently
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 04:24:06 PM »
Well, I know how you feel.  And I am diabetic.  Not saying with any authority that it may be your problem, just someone to compare yourself to.  I cannot concentrate worth a damn, honestly moving the mouse from one icon to another gives me enough time to lose concentration.  Short term memory while not awful, just doesn't exist unless I get it in mind that what I need in memory is important, although I thinkk that is more of a concentration problem.

Honestly, I've felt worse since summer, when I am on a pretty regular sleep cycle with enough sleep per night (11:30 or so until 7).  When I was all over in school, I felt much better.

Just another thought, how physically active are you?  I've slowed down a lot over the summer, and I do think it is part of my problem.  Winter time, I was skiing or playing hockey or snowshoeing just about every day.  Now, I work all day, come home and sit all day, and feel like crap.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

cosine

• Administrator
I'm not myself recently
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 04:26:12 PM »
Dude, I think I'll second the recommendation to see a doctor. (Although I'm sure you're going to do that now anyway. Smiley)
Andy

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
I'm not myself recently
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 04:38:36 PM »
Sleep apnea?

Oh, and see a Doctor.
One day at a time.