Author Topic: Gay Pro Sports  (Read 5347 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Gay Pro Sports
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
What does sex-positive APS think?  Lots of talk about it with NBA players coming out and NFL players threatening to come out.

AZR's perspective:

I don't care.

I don't want pro sports anyways, with the exception of a little hockey every now and then.

However, I think openly gay players in any pro sport will hurt the financial bottom line.  Reasons:

1. Urban blacks don't like gays.  Urban blacks like basketball.  Gay players will cause urban blacks to buy some other baseball cap or hoodie sweatshirt than an NBA or NFL one if there's a gay player on that particular team's roster.
2. Manly PBR swilling tailgaiter crowd watches football for the primal combativeness of it.  It's the modern day equivalent of the gladiator arena.  Gay players = not quite so manly and combative, less chest thumping and boasting about how "my" team is gonna make "your" team its biyatch.  Locker-room-by-proxy vernacular will decrease ("He's gonna own his ass" and so on).  So some of the fun of the manly tailgating beer swilling experience is reduced, resulting in fewer instances of such behavior.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Gay Pro Sports
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »
Maybe this will lower the price of admission to pro sporting events.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »
Don't care. Don't watch it anyway. Only games I go to are minor-league baseball about once a year.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
"Gay pro sports"  as in exclusively gay?  Good luck with that.

My opinion?  As long as I'm not subsidizing it via my taxes,  they can have at it.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
I don't think it will have any measurable impact on revenue. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
What does sex-positive APS think?  Lots of talk about it with NBA players coming out and NFL players threatening to come out.

AZR's perspective:

I don't care.

I don't want pro sports anyways, with the exception of a little hockey every now and then.

However, I think openly gay players in any pro sport will hurt the financial bottom line.  Reasons:

1. Urban blacks don't like gays.  Urban blacks like basketball.  Gay players will cause urban blacks to buy some other baseball cap or hoodie sweatshirt than an NBA or NFL one if there's a gay player on that particular team's roster.
2. Manly PBR swilling tailgaiter crowd watches football for the primal combativeness of it.  It's the modern day equivalent of the gladiator arena.  Gay players = not quite so manly and combative, less chest thumping and boasting about how "my" team is gonna make "your" team its biyatch.  Locker-room-by-proxy vernacular will decrease ("He's gonna own his ass" and so on).  So some of the fun of the manly tailgating beer swilling experience is reduced, resulting in fewer instances of such behavior.

You might be right about #1. Milwaukee is currently plastered with this org's ads on buses and billboards. http://journey2accept.org/content/about-acceptance-journeys The whole sub-text obviously is, "Please don't beat, kill, or disown your LBGT black family members/neighbors.."

Frankly, if the inner city black community de-emphasizes sports as one of their few visible "attainment goals" over this, it might have a silver lining. As long as rap/pop or worse doesn't pick up the slack. Although I admit, the law of unintended consequences might just push them even harder towards gangs, drug-dealers, and charlatan preachers, race-baiters, and .gov and non-profit .pub sector bureaucrat jobs. As nasty a steep pyramid it is, and how long the odds, at least it was the one redeeming goal that demographic had.

2. Not so sure. Western Civ has a pretty long tradition of accepting homosexuality in certain manly kill-em/beat-em pursuits, Spartans, Rome/Gladiators, quite a bit of it all through the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and onward. And it's been out there for awhile in some pro sports like tennis and golf, even if they don't get to the core of flannel and PBR sports-America.

If they get past this hump and the Left/MSM is careful to not over-use gay pro-sports players as a cudgel, I don't think it'll make a huge difference.

Whether or not it's marching orders from the NBA, or the desire to maintain acceptance with the NY/Hollywood glitterati, the supportive words from the majority of NBA talent we've seen so far is probably how it'll go in each league where it happens next... at least publicly.
I promise not to duck.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
I don't play, I don't watch, I don't even know the names half the time when they throw it out.

On a personal level, I really don't care.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »
OMGay!! It's a massive media event! Who can fawn over him the mostest?!

Must take a lot of courage to make yourself an instant media darling, and get a supportive call from the Commander in Chief.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
Meh.  Don't care.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
Pretty sure it's not possible for me to care less.

I highly doubt it will have any measurable impact on the business of pro sports.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:59:09 PM »
I don't think it will have any measurable impact on revenue. 

This. I enjoy watching football and hockey. I can't speak for the urban blacks, but I know plenty of the PBR swillers. Most probably won't care. This kind of stuff seems to becoming less of a big deal than it would have been 10 or 20 years ago.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
This kind of stuff seems to becoming less of a big deal than it would have been 10 or 20 years ago.

No kidding. The Penn State football program came out of the closet a while back. Kinda stole all the glory.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:22:57 PM »

No kidding. The Penn State football program came out of the closet a while back. Kinda stole all the glory.

Oh Snap!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
From the sports nuts I've had the dubious pleasure of watching whatever sport with (translation: stuck at someones house while their sports team was playing)
Most won't give a crap. They seem more intrested in the players stats and the teams stratagy then anyones personal life.
Some really hardcore guys who take such way too seriously and also are anti LBGT may cease supporting such and such team, but in all honesty, it will probably be good for them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
Like sports. Don't care.

There have always been gay folk, there always will be gay folk.

We put up with left-handers, so why not teh gays?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
Like sports. Don't care.

There have always been gay folk, there always will be gay folk.

We put up with left-handers, so why not teh gays?

What about left-handed gays?  Or worse... red-headed step-child left-handed gay!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »

Oh, I thought you were going to write about soccer.

OMGay!! It's a massive media event! Who can fawn over him the moistest?!

Must take a lot of courage to make yourself an instant media darling, and get a supportive call from the Commander in Chief.

Indeed.  Also, from the little coverage I saw, I think both your original and my fix are both true.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
Meh.

From what I understand he's in the twilight of his (mediocre) career, this simply gives him the excuse to sue the NBA if he doesn't get a new contract (LOOK!!!  DISCRIMINATION!!!)

I listen to the White Sox on the radio and will watch the Blackhawks if I happen to be somewhere where the game is on.  But otherwise. Meh.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
From what I understand he's in the twilight of his (mediocre) career

Excellent choice of words. :P

How much is this going to impact my life in any way? Zero.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »
I grew to detest basketball in early elementary school when an <expletive deleted> teacher decided that we would play it - rather than the traditional softball - during recess, taking the joy and a brief whiff of freedom out of a day of drudgery. (What 10 year old boy likes school?) I have NEVER watched a complete pro, college, or school game, and I feel the better for it. The "coming out" of some player I never heard of is completely irrelevant to me. And I don't see this as being a big shock - didn't some big-name player get infected with HIV back in the early '90s?

When I was younger, I liked baseball and football . . . but the baseball strike ruined the game for me, and as for football, these days it seems like officials are deciding - rather than merely influencing - the outcome far too often.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »
I do enjoy football.  I used to coach youth football and played for a bit.  College, pro, whatever.  This is not going to change anything.  The only ones that will care don't matter.  They usually can't afford to go to the games (tickets are expensive) and the other stuff they have already had for years....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »
Best comment I've heard:  "Well, once they made Soccer a national sport, it was only a matter of time.  "   =D :lol:

I don't care.  I guess I always assumed there were a few out there who kept quiet. 

As for football, I think the worry over concussions and other stuff will wussify the game far more than any concern about gays. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
I should add that enjoy watching my son and his teams more than any pro-sports teams.  Nothing I enjoy more than being scorekeeper/statistician for my son's baseball team.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.