Author Topic: NRA Convention - Houston  (Read 6832 times)

MechAg94

• friend
NRA Convention - Houston
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:52:05 PM »
Just thought I would post a few things I saw at the convention and link a few pictures.  First, the dang thing was huge.  Bigger than I remember it several years ago when it was here before.  Pretty much every gun manufacturer you ever heard of was there along with just about every maker of parts and accessories.  It was easy to get around early after they opened, but by 1 PM it was so crowded it was hard to move around.  

Anyway, I made a bee line for Kel-Tec's booth first.  They had the PMR-30 pistols on display with KSG shotguns and RFB rifles.  Judging by the response, the sales guy has probably been asked where to get one or when will they make more about 1000 times.  He did say they were working to double KSG shotgun production.  
The new gun they had was a .22 Mag Carbine RMR-30 that uses the same mags as the PMR-30.  It was pretty small and light with a collaspable stock similar to an HK91.  Very small.  

I think the RFB has become the next rifle I want to get.  It as a very good feel and the trigger release was pretty good.  Very short and handy.  Not going to look for an M1A SOCOM anymore.

Over at the Springfield booth, they had the XDS 9mm out on display.  It was pretty much the same frame as the 45 with a 7+1 capacity.  The S&W Defender was certainly slimmer.  Here is a pic with the 45 and 9mm side by side.  

The other booth that caught my attention was the IMI booth with the Israeli Tavor bullpup 223 rifle.  It felt like a pretty solid rifle with a good trigger.  I especailly liked the red dot sight they can supply with it.  The iron sights were fold up sites built into the rail.  They even mentioned they were either selling rifles for 5.45X39 or would sell conversions.  The guy tore one down and it looked very easy.  A pin pulled out and a stock piece out of the way and the bolt and piston pulled out the back of the butt stock.  The trigger group also pulled out real easy.  The bolt release was right behind the mag so it was simple to seat a mag and release the bolt almost in one motion.  If the accuracy and operation are good, I can certainly see myself getting one at some point.  

There was a lot of other stuff, but few caught in my mind.  Savage had some bolt action rifles in 308 and 223 that took extended magazines and had rails installed.  
http://resettargets.com/Flip_Shot_Targets.html
My Dad and I bought a couple of flip shot targets from these guys that looked interesting.  

At least one of the Duck Dynasty guys was there.  The American Guns cast was at the S&W booth along with Jerry Miculek.  The daughter from American Guns looks better in person than I recall last time I saw the show.   =D My photo was too far away and blurry.  Lots of attractive sales ladies all over along with local Texas ladies.  

There was a VW Van fitted with a MiniGun mount out of the roof over near Magpul.  

I bought a "Don't Tread on Me" T-shirt.  That booth only sold them in Red and Yellow.   =)

I will likely spend the next month going through the stack of catalogs I got.  My bag got pretty heavy after 4 hours.  

I believe they are open again Sunday if any of you are local to Houston.  Parking was $30 within a few blocks of the convention center.  Never saw it that high before.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:55:06 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: NRA Convention - Houston
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:03 AM »
'Cus I got tired of seeing "0" in the replies column.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:16 AM »
But seriously, thanks for the report.   =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:13:16 AM »
Yeah, that RFB looks pretty nice. Might have to pick one of those up one of these days.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »
PMR-30 is one of my eventual wants. Looks like I need to add the carbine to that list as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
PMR-30 is one of my eventual wants. Looks like I need to add the carbine to that list as well.

Yeah, a fun plinker combo.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:45:25 PM »
I was hoping I wasn't the only one in the area to go.  I also heard there were a bunch of speakers or something there.

I would also mention that when we left, we saw a few protestors across the street.  Maybe 50 people (including news people) versus 50K or 100K going through the convention. 

Short of a good deal, I think the RFB is definitely my next rifle. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
Been waiting a while for the MP-7esque RMR-30 carbine to come out. I hope they scale it up to 9 40 and .45 sometime too
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 04:53:45 PM »
Kel-tec, their motto should be:  "Your Favorite Prototyping Company."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »

Funny yet sad because it's true!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
Anyone get to the SIG display?  I'm real curious about the P227...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »
I sort of wondered why they didn't try to license one or two of these designs to someone like Ruger who will eventually copy it anyway. 

I doubt they would upscale the RMR to 9 or 40.  They already have the sub2000 or whatever it is called (Top of the First picture above).

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »
They already have the sub2000 or whatever it is called (Top of the First picture above).

I'm not really a fan of the Sub2000. Just rubs me wrong...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 08:14:26 PM »
Don't feel bad.

I'm not really a fan of anything that (eventually) leaves Kel-Tec's doors. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2445
Another pistol I saw was the Chiappa Rhino.  It looks odd but it is growing on me.  I am going to have to get one soon. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
I'm not really a fan of the Sub2000. Just rubs me wrong...

It's a great little carbine to shoot. Would be nice if it was built in such a way that you could leave optics on it and fold it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »
It's a great little carbine to shoot. Would be nice if it was built in such a way that you could leave optics on it and fold it.
If they're going to make a folding rifle, they should take inspiration from this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

A slim unit that looks nothing like a gun when closed up (slim briefcase or instrument case) should be possible with a 16" barrel . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »

Ayup. If I ever run across one reasonably priced I'm going to snap it up.
Andy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
If they're going to make a folding rifle, they should take inspiration from this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

A slim unit that looks nothing like a gun when closed up (slim briefcase or instrument case) should be possible with a 16" barrel . . .
Well, you could put that carbine in a slim briefcase or duffle.  I think the purpose was portability, not concealment.  It isn't set up to fire in that confirguration.  The new RMR-30 with its collapsible stock might actually be smaller and still be able to fire since the 30 round mag fits snug in the pistol grip.  An RMR-30 with a short barrel would be tiny.  

The RMR-30 actually felt like the receiver and primary frame were alloy or aluminum.  It felt more beefy than the Sub2000.  Could have been because it was a prototype or something.  I would like to see that in 9mm or the Sub2000 made more accurate.  A similar callaspable stock might be better than a folding stock and it might still be able to fire in the compact configuration.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »
What we need is a compact bullpup lever action with full length barrel and tube for extra capacity.   =D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
Well, you could put that carbine in a slim briefcase or duffle.  I think the purpose was portability, not concealment.  It isn't set up to fire in that confirguration.  The new RMR-30 with its collapsible stock might actually be smaller and still be able to fire since the 30 round mag fits snug in the pistol grip.  An RMR-30 with a short barrel would be tiny.  

The RMR-30 actually felt like the receiver and primary frame were alloy or aluminum.  It felt more beefy than the Sub2000.  Could have been because it was a prototype or something.  I would like to see that in 9mm or the Sub2000 made more accurate.  A similar callaspable stock might be better than a folding stock and it might still be able to fire in the compact configuration.  

OOOOOO SBR RMR30 with suppressor?   :O  That would be fun!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »
OOOOOO SBR RMR30 with suppressor?   :O  That would be fun!
Did I mention that the RMR30 had a cap screwed on the end of the barrel for a "flash" suppressor?

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
There is, but it means buying a trick forend from Red Lion.  Briefly, it rotates 90d from vertical, operational position, and allows the unit to fold and latch.  This at the cost of having the optic stick odd to the side when in folded position.  That sorta makes the packaging a little problematic, as it will not fit in a case quite so nicely.  Dedicated Keltec owners doll these things up almost as much as th Ar15 crowd.  Not that there's anything wrong with that... =D
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 11:34:01 PM »
So, what was the body count?  With that many evil gun owners in one place the death toll must have been horrific.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 11:42:18 PM »
So, what was the body count?  With that many evil gun owners in one place the death toll must have been horrific.

Evil guns, you mean. It's always the guns that are evil.

Well, no, you're right. NRA members are evil, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife