Author Topic: Illegal-immigrant rights advocates are trying register Latino Voters.  (Read 602 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Sounds to me like they are trying to commit a lot of voter fraud by registering illegal aliens.

Illegal-immigrant rights advocates trying to register new Latino voters
http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5235834

Illegal-immigrant rights advocates are trying to transfer the energy from massive street demonstrations last spring into thousands of new Latino voters by this fall.

Their goal in Maricopa County is to register 22,000 new voters in time for the Nov. 7 election.

A coalition of illegal-immigrant rights groups is launching a voter drive Friday that will send dozens of workers into heavily concentrated Latino neighborhoods to knock on doors and stand outside markets and shopping centers to register new voters.

By flooding polls, advocates aim to push the immigration debate away from the enforcement-heavy approach supported by many key lawmakers in favor of comprehensive immigration reform that offers a special path to citizenship for illegal immigrants and more visas to reunite families.

"We are building electoral power for our community so they can have a say, not only on the streets but at the ballot box," said Ruben Villarreal, an organizer for the Arizona Coalition for Migrant Rights, a Phoenix-based organization working with We Are America Alliance, a national group. "Once we have a strong vote, I think politicians will think twice before they pass all these anti-immigrant bills."

Hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets in Phoenix and cities across the country after the House passed a tough immigration bill in December that would make being in the country illegally a felony.

After the marches, the Senate passed its own immigration package supported by President Bush. It took a broader approach than the House's enforcement-only version and included a shortcut to citizenship for illegal immigrants and a temporary-worker program.

But despite prodding by the president, Congress hasn't reached a compromise, prompting organizers of the street marches to focus on trying to influence the outcome of the November midterm election and the 2008 presidential election.

Organizers believe the untapped power of new immigrant voters and their children could have far-reaching political impact but acknowledge they face significant challenges getting immigrants to the polls and motivating them to naturalize.

A study estimates that by the 2008 presidential election, there will be 14.25 million potential voters among legal immigrants currently eligible to naturalize and U.S.-born children of immigrants ages 16 to 24.

Of those, 303,600 live in Arizona. The coalition said that total would have been more than enough to swing the 2004 presidential election in Arizona, where Bush won by 210,770 votes.

Bob F.

• friend
Illegal-immigrant rights advocates are trying register Latino Voters.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
Not to hijack your thread, but along the same lines (and we already have several "latino" threads)......received this e-mail today:

>       Our granddaughter in Ca. was turned down for a teaching job, because
>she only had one yr. of Spanish.  She got a job  at a private  school.
>
>       She now teaches in Rancho Cucomonga, second grade.
>
>       Had an interesting conversation with a lady of Hispanic origin last
>
>       week. She told me that she planned to come down to St. Mary's and
>
>       get a job in Admissions (where I work).  When I pointed out that we
>
>       didn't have any openings, she advised me that "soon" current
>
>       employees will have to be fired to hire bi-lingual employees.
>
>       According to this lady, the Spanish speaking people of the US are
>
>       going to demand that all public facilities like hospitals,
>
>       courthouses, etc. - be staffed by people who read, speak and
>
>       comprehend Spanish.
>
>       We hear about the silent majority but I think we are going to have
>
>       to speak up or find ourselves a conquered country.  That would be an
>
>       interesting historical note - greatest land in the world conquered
>
>       by Mexico without ever firing a shot!  Think about it.
>
>
>
>
>
>       Petition to Require citizenship to be eligible for social services
>
>       in the United States
>
>       No amnesty and No free services for illegal immigrants.
>
>       Agree or Delete: Instructions to sign are at the bottom.
>
>
>
>       PETITION FOR PRES. BUSH,
>
>       Gov. Swartzenagger and
>
>       Congressman Dana Rohrbacher
>
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Illegal-immigrant rights advocates are trying register Latino Voters.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 04:59:55 PM »
Great, just great. I agree, sounds like voter fraud to me.  And to add mess, I'm starting to see reports that these ch'rowling p'taQs are planning another round of marches and demonstrations for Labor Day. angry
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.