Author Topic: 'Puter Glitch?  (Read 1128 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
'Puter Glitch?
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:33:29 PM »
I have Peachtree as a bookkeeping program for my business. I have noticed what seem to be math errors or glitches here and there over time. TODAY I was going through some stuff and on a check written a month or so ago on some invoices to the same vendor it apparently did not include 2 invoices as paid even though the check amount DID include them. So when I opened a NEW check window to write another check to the vendor a couple of the older, previously paid invoices showed up as unpaid on it. It was REALLY fouling up my stuff. So I ended up having to delete the older check and redo it, this time it came out correctly and all was then well when I continued on the current check. We're talking an error of ~$2,000 here, which may be peanuts to some people but NOT ME!! Fortunately it was to the good so I gained $2,000 as opposed to unknowingly owing it out.

Any of you puter whizzes got an idea of what's going on? I've heard tell of a glitch in the Pentium II processor, is it possible that's what my problem is here.  Although I think I've even seen it happen on my computer with the Pentium III but I haven't run the program on that computer lately. I've also been having problems with incorrect inventory counts here and there.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 02:09:47 PM »
Yup, I just remembered. In addition to inventory miscount, when I was reconciling my checking account, checks that I had already cleared in previous reconciliations were showing up as unpaid again. Very strange all around. My feeling is it is somehow losing pieces of the information when saved before shutdown? It prompts to save every change to any invoice so it's not me forgetting to save. The documents are there but somehow incomplete. (cue Twilight Zone music)

cfabe

• friend
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »
I would more likely suspect a glitch in the program or some sort of corruption of the saved files on the hard disk. I supposed flakey memory could cause this but I suspect you'd see strange behavior/crashing elsewhere on the computer. Perhaps try reinstalling the program, or restoring your files from a previous backup.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »
You got support from Peachtree?  Now's the time to call them.  I suspect they will be very interested in keeping their program accurate.

You got backups?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 09:54:47 PM »
Peachtree, lovely company that they are, require IIRC $400 per year to maintain support for their errant program.which I haven't paid in years. But maybe I'll give them a call and see if they aren't interested in this.

I can't say it's a flaky hard drive because it has had problems on both computers.

Thanks! Smiley

When you say "backups" you mean backups of what? The program or the data? I backup the data all the time.

My bookkeeper and I DO swap backups by email, Maybe this has something to do with it?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 03:46:36 AM »
If you haven't paid the yearly fee, see if they have pay per incident support.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 04:15:33 AM »
I will, thanks!

Stand_watie

• friend
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 04:46:48 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
I will, thanks!
On a tangental note, while I'm not a businessman, I think that your time and postage would be well served if you wrote a quick note to any debtors or creditors, apologizing if they received multiple bills for a paid account or didn't receive a payment in time, explaining that a software problem caused your innaccuracy.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
'Puter Glitch?
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 05:05:58 AM »
Good idea but I'm not that automatic,,, yet  Wink

Fortunately I am current with minor exceptions. I'm always current, my vendors LOVE ME!! I FOUND $2000 I didn't think I had. (Woohoooo!!) I was racking my brain for at least a week because I just wasn't coming up right on the big job I'm doing and come to find out it was the friggin' computer. rolleyes On the other hand I'm happy I found the figures I've had in my head from the start in April are as close as they are to being correct. I'm probably going to take more pictures today. You can see the near end results of my latest baby. I'm damn near impressed myself, now if only it WORKS! shocked

Cheesy