Author Topic: Why the NRA is so powerful  (Read 1987 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Why the NRA is so powerful
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:08 PM »
Short video explains why the NRA has such clout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdt6Jj64TVU

Do you think that's a good explanation? What else might explain the success of gun rights groups?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Why the NRA is so powerful
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:33 AM »
There's some truth to it, but he sets up a false dichotomy between the 5 million members of the NRA (assumed to be against gun control) vs everybody else who is assumed to be for gun control.  In fact, you have 5 million NRA members plus a bunch of freeloaders against gun control vs a large number of people who are for gun control, and an indeterminate number (I suspect the vast majority) who don't care.

His "cleaning up after a party" principle is called the Tragedy of the Commons -- but it works against *both* organized group.

The NRA is effective because it represents a large voting block (5MM plus the freeloaders minus the loyal Democrats)  That's pretty much it.  The 2nd Amendment probably also plays a part, but not the part you would expect -- it's because 2A shows the righteousness of the NRA's position and some politicians still have a somewhat working (although atrophied) conscience.
"It's good, though..."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:20:20 AM »
There's some truth to it, but he sets up a false dichotomy between the 5 million members of the NRA (assumed to be against gun control) vs everybody else who is assumed to be for gun control.  In fact, you have 5 million NRA members plus a bunch of freeloaders against gun control vs a large number of people who are for gun control, and an indeterminate number (I suspect the vast majority) who don't care.

His "cleaning up after a party" principle is called the Tragedy of the Commons -- but it works against *both* organized group.

The NRA is effective because it represents a large voting block (5MM plus the freeloaders minus the loyal Democrats)  That's pretty much it.  The 2nd Amendment probably also plays a part, but not the part you would expect -- it's because 2A shows the righteousness of the NRA's position and some politicians still have a somewhat working (although atrophied) conscience.

Freeloaders, huh?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:25:18 AM »
Yup.  The video author's idea, not mine, I just ran with it. 

Politicians know that the NRA represents not only the votes of its 5 million members, but also other gun owners who don't join because they don't want to cough up $25.  (A lot of them still vote.)  It offsets the NRA members who vote straight ticket Democrat because that's what their union tells them to do.

Have you got a better theory, or just looking for something to be offended by?
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:31:18 AM »
The NRA has estimated that for every member, there are 20 people who think they're members through their clubs or who don't know their memberships have expired. So that 5 million is more like 105 million. Add into that the people who are sympathetic, and it's a big number.

Anecdotally, at every legislative hearing I've attended, our side outnumbered the anti's by 20:1 or more. I don't think there's many committed anti-gunners.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
The actual membership of Antigun groups has always been small.  Their funding has almost always come from liberal foundations. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »
The actual membership of Antigun groups has always been small.  Their funding has almost always come from liberal foundations. 

This, combined with the MSM as a force multiplier.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:04:50 AM »
This, combined with the MSM as a force multiplier.

And politicians' innate dislike/distrust/disdain of the public.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
And politicians' innate dislike/distrust/disdain of the public.

And the fact that regulating stuff let's them claim they "did something."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »
for every voting NRA member there are at least 5 who are not members but basically agree with the NRA and will have the sticker on their car or something, because it is kind of cool.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."