Author Topic: the four most dreaded words of the information age  (Read 5521 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: the four most dreaded words of the information age
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »
isn there any diagnosics that can be run within bios?

Could be.  It would be something the manufacturer built in, probably accessable from a boot menu at startup.  Look for options in your bios to enable it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 09:58:32 PM »
i didn't see any diagnostics, but there is a boot to LAN option.   unfortunatly i'm not up on utilizing my local network to it's fullest potential, and it doesn't seem that the network is responding to the laptop.  i have ordered a sata 7+15 to usb adapter, which should be here by friday.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
the adapter arrived yesterday.  i removed the hard drive and attached the adapter, unfortunatly i'm not seeing the data.  when i plug in my backup drive at the same location it will show up right under my internal hard drive on the "computer" page.  the laptop drive spins, beeps, and is searching (rather noisily), and the adapter power and access lights are lit.  the "safely remove hardware" icon pops up (and in details shows a "usb mass storge device at port_#0001.hub_#0003"), but i can't find access to it. 

any thoughts?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
My best weapon is this...
http://ubuntuforums.org/forum.php
&
http://www.linuxmanpages.com/

But probably not that useful to you.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
the adapter arrived yesterday.  i removed the hard drive and attached the adapter, unfortunatly i'm not seeing the data.  when i plug in my backup drive at the same location it will show up right under my internal hard drive on the "computer" page.  the laptop drive spins, beeps, and is searching (rather noisily), and the adapter power and access lights are lit.  the "safely remove hardware" icon pops up (and in details shows a "usb mass storge device at port_#0001.hub_#0003"), but i can't find access to it.  

any thoughts?

This is part of what I do for a living.    How bad do you want this data?

BIOS detects the drive, when it's installed in a computer?  You put your ear next to the drive, and you can hear it humming (as opposed to clicking, clunking or a deathly silence)?  

If "no" to either of those, stop now.  The drive's toast, and your only hope is a data recovery $ervice like Ontrack or one of its competitors.

If yes then...

First) a hardware diagnostic like Seagate's Seatools to see just how fried this drive is.    Google it for the download link.  Seatools has a Windows version (hook the drive up as a second drive in a system to check it), and a standalone dos version.    (The DOS version does not always detect a drive present.  I think it has to do with the controller.  If not, try it connected to a different system.  The Windows version I have never had this problem with.)

If the drive fails monumentally, with zillions of bad sectors, hang it up.  It's probably hopeless.

If the drive passes, or fails with a few bad sectors, then...

Second) attempt to clone the drive, sector by sector, to a new good disk.  There're several tools, all Linux based, that I have used in the past that handle cloning bad sectors gracefully.   Rdd I have most experience with.  Gnu ddrescue I have used some.  If you use these, make sure you understand the command line options, and make sure you know which device is source and which is destination.  Clonezilla has a "rescue mode" that I haven't had that much luck with.  It wouldn't be my first choice.

Once you have the data to a known good disk, see if you can see partitions on it.  See in you can mount them.  Try to chkdsk the file system.

If you can't see a partition, you may need to run something like testdisk to find partitions.  Check the link for a howto on repairing partition tables with what testdisk tells you.

Failing that, scan with photorec to look for recoverable files.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:43:36 AM by lee n. field »

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
well, i ran the seatool tests on the removed hd on desktop, and they all came back "fail".   :'(  at least we have all of the important data saved.  the only things "lost" are a paper with research, and a file with pics that we have copies of, but not sorted properly.  it could be worse.

i am curious why the vista backup system dvd, and ultimate boot disc aren't working.

thanks for the help!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »
well, i ran the seatool tests on the removed hd on desktop, and they all came back "fail".   :'(  at least we have all of the important data saved.  the only things "lost" are a paper with research, and a file with pics that we have copies of, but not sorted properly.  it could be worse.

i am curious why the vista backup system dvd, and ultimate boot disc aren't working.

thanks for the help!

I forget, did other CDs boot?  Or do no CDs boot?  Vista, means the laptop's got some age on it.  Might just need a new drive.  Get a cheap one off ebay, or get a USB DVD drive.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »
I have seen drives that suffer an electronics failure lock up a PC's ATA bus on occasion.  Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  That may be why your CD drive doesn't work at the moment.
Put a new hard drive in it and the CD-ROM may work again.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »
I forget, did other CDs boot?  Or do no CDs boot?  Vista, means the laptop's got some age on it.  Might just need a new drive.  Get a cheap one off ebay, or get a USB DVD drive.

no other cd's booted the laptop.

I think we bought it fall of 2008.  hmmm Seagate has a 5 year warranty on their drives, I may have to check that out.

I made an offer on a used drive on ebay, so we'll see.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
no other cd's booted the laptop.

I think we bought it fall of 2008.  hmmm Seagate has a 5 year warranty on their drives, I may have to check that out.

Seagate should have a warranty check tool on their website somewhere.  HD manufacturer's will often not give you that warranty for drives that came as part of a system. 

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
Seagate should have a warranty check tool on their website somewhere.  HD manufacturer's will often not give you that warranty for drives that came as part of a system. 

they do, and you are correct they do not support drives sold in systems.   =(